Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Anyone heard from Laura Cuntssberg ?

Think she might've really fucked it here too. She committed right away when it looked like this would be another short lived story but she's misjudged it massively. If the public do turn on Boris she'll be lumped in with him. Hard to see how she can come out of this with any credibility at all, not that she had much left anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

These are all fair points. However a lot of people don't really care that much about politics beyond the way the vote and the other guy being wrong. 

This is different. We've been confined to our houses for weeks, been told to stay at home and threatened with fines of our reason for leaving wasn't good enough. Unlike Johnson lying to the Queen, people have suffered as a result of the lockdown - suffered mentally, they have missed weddings, funerals, havent been able to see family and in some cases have lost family members to the virus or indeed their employment. All of this, we are told, is a necessary sacrifice. We expect people to comply. 

Cummings, meanwhile, has delivered as massive f**k you to the people who have adhered to the restrictions. Lying to the Queen and porouging parliament will be forgotten about in a few days; ten weeks plus of restrictions will see that this doesn't go away for the Government. 

This was the point I was trying to make a couple of posts ago, only in a much poorer fashion. Apart from all the examples you mention in your post, there will have been literally thousands of families in an almost identical position as the Cummings’. You can guarantee that none of those families, after looking at the guidelines, would have believed that travelling 260 miles to isolate closer to family would have been anything other than a massive breach of those guidelines. For the Government to now say that doing just that was not only ‘responsible and legal’, but also saying that any father would do the same, is just mind boggling. They genuinely live on a different planet, and I believe have astronomically misjudged the public opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I work for Scottish Autism and none of the lads I support have been allowed any contact with their parents since lockdown.
To say I am angry with what has been unfolding today is a slight understatement.
Even if DCs kid is autistic it is highly unlikely they would have been able to make a 250 mile trip without multiple stops!

The rules were amended slightly for people on the autism spectrum. If this were to be used as an excuse no doubt they'd use the vague 'for health reasons', but at the time it was specifically related to exercising more than once a day and travelling further than your local area.

The updated advice reads: “If you (or a person in your care) have a specific health condition that requires you to leave the home to maintain your health – including if that involves travel beyond your local area – then you can do so.This could, for example, include where individuals with learning disabilities or autism require specific exercise in an open space two or three times each day – ideally in line with a care plan agreed with a medical professional.”

Edited by s_dog

Don't have much time for starmer but he's played this beautifully. Snp came out guns blazing, shouting outrage and stuff which is fine, but he sat and said nothing, let them have enough rope to hang themselves, and came out tonight giving it big licks. 

Would never vote for them, but fair fucks imo

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Don't have much time for starmer but he's played this beautifully. Snp came out guns blazing, shouting outrage and stuff which is fine, but he sat and said nothing, let them have enough rope to hang themselves, and came out tonight giving it big licks. 

Would never vote for them, but fair fucks imo

Seen someone on Twitter retweet an apparent quote of Napoleon - ‘Never interrupt your enemy whilst he is making a mistake’.  

The rules were amended slightly for people on the autism spectrum. If this were to be used as an excuse no doubt they'd use the vague 'for health reasons', but at the time it was specifically related to exercising more than once a day and travelling further than your local area.

The updated advice reads: “If you (or a person in your care) have a specific health condition that requires you to leave the home to maintain your health – including if that involves travel beyond your local area – then you can do so.This could, for example, include where individuals with learning disabilities or autism require specific exercise in an open space two or three times each day – ideally in line with a care plan agreed with a medical professional.”

When they refer to local area it tends to mean around a 6 mile radius.
Travelling outside your local area would not normally mean going 250 miles that would be considered taking the piss!

6 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

When they refer to local area it tends to mean around a 6 mile radius.
Travelling outside your local area would not normally mean going 250 miles that would be considered taking the piss!

Yeah, but that's the thing - althoigh we don't we are allowed to go outside our local area.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

My head is burst with everything. Having to go work in the healthcare sector, whilst also staving off any part of my social life to protect myself, my partner and those I look after, and that baldy c**t is swanning about without a care in the world. Tory vermin. 

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, text that says ""No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin.' Aneurin Bevan PILEUS"

I’m a single parent of three kids. Moved here 9 months ago. My parents live 240 miles away. The idea of driving that distance when healthy with them isn’t appealing. Never mind woth Covid.

My ex husband lives 10 miles away  and I’m sure if I asked on the school mum chat someone would leave me a pint milk.

If this afternoons press conference wasn’t a reason for the nations other than England to go their own way I don’t know what is.

The English government just proved that they are unfit to govern for the people as a whole  and are only self serving. 

The fact is he did not get childcare in Durham. After that the whole house of cards falls. 

14 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

It’s depressing, but I really think they are going to squirm their way through this. The celebrations are a bit premature. 

If they manage to see this out then a majority of the public will think what’s the point. The bar will now be set at a level where pure lies and fabrication are seen as acceptable, because it’s happened before. It’s straight from the Trump playbook, how many times have we seen Trump bluster his way through a crisis, when everyone is saying this is the one that’s going to end him. We are at a stage with Trump where he denies quotes that can literally be proven to be attributed to him in seconds, but he stands infront of the media and lies. No one bats an eyelid. 

It’s depressing, but I really think they are going to squirm their way through this. The celebrations are a bit premature. 

If they manage to see this out then a majority of the public will think what’s the point. The bar will now be set at a level where pure lies and fabrication are seen as acceptable, because it’s happened before. It’s straight from the Trump playbook, how many times have we seen Trump bluster his way through a crisis, when everyone is saying this is the one that’s going to end him. We are at a stage with Trump where he denies quotes that can literally be proven to be attributed to him in seconds, but he stands infront of the media and lies. No one bats an eyelid. 
The key thing is whether the British public have sunk to that level.

I've got a wee bit of faith that we're not quite there yet.

He’s a fucking imbecile. A few weeks ago he wanted anyone sitting in a park to get lifted. 

He wants things on the news that ‘lighten the mood’, maybe the BBC can try and find a water-skiing squirrel or a panda about to give birth. 
Maybe the news could lighten the mood by showing Aleksandr Usyk about knocking his fucking head off on repeat. I certainly don't tire of seeing it. Eddie Hearns reaction also raises a smile.