Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Fratelli said:

Can't help but feel It's all went too partisan for this to make a big enough difference to voting. Folk who vote for him aren't arsed about Johnson being a w****r - everyone knew that years ago. It's more a case of voting against stuff rather than voting for anything. Johnson/the Tories are positioned as being against the soft 'lefty PC brigade', as well as being against the forins and being passionately British. It's why there are still thousands of Union Jack emoji types defending them on social media, they could do literally anything at this point and still retain their core supporters. The only hope is that things like this will maybe change undecided voters, but i'm still not sure if that's enough to make a difference. 

I don't know, there are plenty of Brexiters who have made sacrifices "for the common good". It's not only leavers who haven't been able to say goodbye to parents, had to watch funerals on zoom, be completely fucked from illness looking after their weans etc. Anyone who has made any sacrifice at all like this will be absolutely fucking raging. It might not ultimately do much for the tory vote, but a lot of people will be having a right good look at "Boris" and no longer liking whta they see. 

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
34 minutes ago, Snobot said:
Gammon twitter confidently proclaiming that Cummings’ son has autism which would cast a new light on it given the fact that certain lockdown restrictions can be loosened in that case. No idea whatsoever if this is true.
It’s the perfect out though; it can never be confirmed or denied due to patient confidentiality and plays to the loving father narrative. Quite why they didn’t put out a carefully worded statement when it first broke to quell the outrage  but instead left it to boil over I don’t know, or maybe this is the most incredible 3D chess move by Cummings.

I'm not sire how. Is he the only parent with an autistic child? No. I'm sure there will be millions of such parents out there, I'm sure many of them will be struggling, I'm sure many of them wanted to do something like go out for a day or take them to grandparents or whatever. I'm sure many of them were ill (or is it "thought they might get ill" I forget which excuse they used most recently) and were tearing their hair out thinking about what to do. I'm sure there will be many single parents, people who don't have the luxury of family members who live nearby, or staff who live locally or who don't live in a city where deliveries of food and other essentials are easy to come across. How many of those made the sacrifice of staying at home no matter how shitty they felt, and how many thought "f**k it" and did their own thing?

Their chat is the child needed to be looked after by someone who knew them. Her brother lives in London. 

It's more perfectly contrived bollocks to fit in with what's allowed and what isn't. It will all fall apart as more info comes out. 

2 minutes ago, marty_j said:

I just thought they could have asked one question and no one did
Why do you say he travelled to Durham for childcare when no one in Durham could have looked after child as they were isolating- surely they could have isolated exactly the same way inLondon

I would have asked him "You say you've had a good talk with him, did he stop at any services on his 270 mile journey and would that have been a risk to the people he encountered?". He wouldn't have answered anyway, but people would have seen him not answering and made their own mind up.

10 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I’m not advocating it, just saying that there are people attempting to justify his actions with mawkish “looking after his little lad” chat. Presumably they would claim the wife and child stayed in Durham while he went to London hence the repeat visits.

For the avoidance of doubt I’m firmly in the #torycunts camp.

His wife already wrote a tear stained covid diary in which she stated they emerged into London lockdown. Quite interesting tale of their experience, which gives a clear impression of being set in London, and doesn't mention a cross country journey of any kind. 

Edited by madwullie

12 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
41 minutes ago, Snobot said:
Gammon twitter confidently proclaiming that Cummings’ son has autism which would cast a new light on it given the fact that certain lockdown restrictions can be loosened in that case. No idea whatsoever if this is true.
It’s the perfect out though; it can never be confirmed or denied due to patient confidentiality and plays to the loving father narrative. Quite why they didn’t put out a carefully worded statement when it first broke to quell the outrage  but instead left it to boil over I don’t know, or maybe this is the most incredible 3D chess move by Cummings.

I'm not sire how. Is he the only parent with an autistic child? No. I'm sure there will be millions of such parents out there, I'm sure many of them will be struggling, I'm sure many of them wanted to do something like go out for a day or take them to grandparents or whatever. I'm sure many of them were ill (or is it "thought they might get ill" I forget which excuse they used most recently) and were tearing their hair out thinking about what to do. I'm sure there will be many single parents, people who don't have the luxury of family members who live nearby, or staff who live locally or who don't live in a city where deliveries of food and other essentials are easy to come across. How many of those made the sacrifice of staying at home no matter how shitty they felt, and how many thought "f**k it" and did their own thing?

Both my oldest two daughters have autism. Because of this we have been allowed to drive short distances for exercise as our home area isn't safe / suitable for them. At no point have we considered taking them to grandparents for childcare. They haven't seen their grandparents in nine weeks.

Just now, madwullie said:

His wife already wrote a tear stained covid diary in which she stated they emerged into London lockdown. Quite interesting tale of their experience, which gives a clear impression of being set in London. 

Indeed, there are plenty of holes in the story even if that card was played.

Just now, Gaz said:

Both my oldest two daughters have autism. Because of this we have been allowed to drive short distances for exercise as our home area isn't safe / suitable for them. At no point have we considered taking them to grandparents for childcare. They haven't seen their grandparents in nine weeks.

^^^ terrible father imo. Caring fathers drive to their grandparents. 

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

His wife already wrote a tear stained covid diary in which she stated they emerged into London lockdown. Quite interesting tale of their experience, which gives a clear impression of being set in London, and doesn't mention a cross country journey of any kind. 

She ought to be another casualty here as well. A journalist that has lied by omission in an article published in a national magazine. 

Been looking for the article I read this morning that, purely coincidentally,said  it was Dominic's mums birthday in early April which of course would not really be the reason for the drive north to Durham. Unfortunately I cant find it. Anybody else see it ??

22 minutes ago, Worktheshaft said:
45 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Doesn't explain the two further visits to Durham.

Unless there is indisputable evidence that appears in the next few days, like CCTV images of his car or a photo taken of DC by a member of the public, then those two visits won’t need to be explained as the government will claim they are fabricated.  Shapps claimed on Marr that the further allegations of visits to Durham were not true, before rowing back a bit when Marr asked if his answer was on record and he said that he believes it not to be true as the Downing Street statement said it wasn’t true. 

2 minutes ago, HI HAT said:

Been looking for the article I read this morning that, purely coincidentally,said  it was Dominic's mums birthday in early April which of course would not really be the reason for the drive north to Durham. Unfortunately I cant find it. Anybody else see it ??

No but I have seen the image of her registration of a company that does list her dob as that date

Yeah but I don't give one single shit about how he treats journalists. I care about not being able to take my son to see his grandparents, my neighbour's relative dying a lonely death and having a handful of people at his funeral, none of this is funny. There's going to be a sizeable constituency of folk who have been instantly and permanently turned off the tories as a result but I don't think it's sizeable enough to swing anything in England.
Perhaps not turned off at this precise stage but Johnson was already facing a shitload of problems and he could ill afford this dishonest deception of the entire UK population when tens of thousands have died. To me, today has been the beginning of the end for his Premiership and that's why I called it a seminal moment earlier. I'm struggling to recall a PM who has infuriated so many of their own bedrock support - the 1922 Committee will have the pistol cocked tonight.