Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Folk who vote for him aren't arsed about Johnson being a w****r - everyone knew that years ago. 

I know it’s only Twitter, but I’ve been surprised by the number of people, in some cases quite high profile, coming out against Johnson in the last few hours. Suspect there will be a few more backbench Tories coming out against him soon also. Gives a modicum of hope. 

This is the crux of Johnson's problem. Huge numbers of grandparent's will be core Tory voters, and would have loved to have helped out if needed by their families. The guidelines specifically told them not to though, and they haven't seen their kids and grandkids for months because of the rules drawn up with a guy who didn't follow them himself.

24 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I am sure there was a lot of fuss made around the beginning of the lockdown explaining to people, mainly rich Londoners, that under no circumstances were they to travel to a second home to isolate, due to the pressures this would put on the Health services in these places. It’s also made clear in the legislation that travelling to a second home to isolate was forbidden. It’s a point that I haven’t seen put to either Johnson or Shapps. 

Nice little summary I found on Twitter if reading through legislation is too dry :) 

https://insights.doughtystreet.co.uk/post/102g80l/did-dominic-cummings-act-responsibly-and-legally

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I thought the journalists ripped him apart, despite having their follow on questions blocked and supposed "technical difficulties.". Not sure what you expected, "Yes, ok, Dom is a c**t, I'll sack him and then resign."? He just dug a bigger hole for himself, as Tory MP's will be seeing in their inboxes.

They continually allowed Johnson, and more so Shapps earlier on, to be able to stick to a set of prepared lines that didn’t answer the questions they were being asked. ‘Acted legally and responsibly’, ‘isolated for the required 14 days’ etc. The Govt. have made such a mess of this incident that it should be absolute shooty in for the journalists. 

25 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Shapps’ two interviews this morning were carbon copies. Sophy Ridge done a slightly better job of making him look like the fool he is, but he managed to bluff his way through most of it with his pre-prepared lines. 

Ridge tweeted the questions in advance of the interview. It’s like scraping an exam pass when you have the answers written down in front of you.

I do think people are underestimating how much people across the board will be angry about this. Yeah there are vocal morons defending Johnson and Cummings on Twitter, but I'd bet any money that they're people who have broken the rules themselves and therefore don't see the big deal.

This isn't like prorouging Parliament, which was a technical thing no-one understood

It's not like Grenfell, which was about poor people

It's not like Windrush, which was about black people

All of those things could be filed away as irrelevant because they're not issues that touch the Tory base. The entire country has experienced the lockdown and the vast majority of us have stuck to the rules. The Prime Minister has just gone on live TV and called us all mugs.

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

They continually allowed Johnson, and more so Shapps earlier on, to be able to stick to a set of prepared lines that didn’t answer the questions they were being asked. ‘Acted legally and responsibly’, ‘isolated for the required 14 days’ etc. The Govt. have made such a mess of this incident that it should be absolute shooty in for the journalists. 

Shapps dealt with it far far better than Johnson. Johnson was visibly raging that poeple had the temerity to question him about this - if he was in a  sit-down interview where he couldn't just cut people off he'd have been obliterated.

5 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Japan appear to have done an excellent job in suppressing the virus, without the need for a damaging lock down or the mass testing we appear to be pinning our hopes on.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-05-22/did-japan-just-beat-the-virus-without-lockdowns-or-mass-testing

What can we learn from the Japanese for getting out of the situation we are currently in, and for reacting more effectively to any future virus outbreaks?

Bomb America?

Just now, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Shapps dealt with it far far better than Johnson. Johnson was visibly raging that poeple had the temerity to question him about this - if he was in a  sit-down interview where he couldn't just cut people off he'd have been obliterated.

I was going to say that. Johnson was in a much better forum to deal with the media with questions via video link. He still managed to turn that into an omnishambles mind you. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

They can't taser them if they don't answer questions. Johnson and Shapps portayed themselves as lying, hypocritical and craven arseholes, it was more than I could have hoped for.

I know it’s only Twitter, but I’ve been surprised by the number of people, in some cases quite high profile, coming out against Johnson in the last few hours. Suspect there will be a few more backbench Tories coming out against him soon also. Gives a modicum of hope. 

It seems universally against Cummings and Johnson but Twitter is unrepresentative of the general public, as has been shown repeatedly for the last few years. I think that this story is bigger than the Twitter politics bubble though, because the lockdown directly involves everyone in the country. The fact that there is nothing else going on in the news either will also mean the story has more impact.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens on Twitter if he doesn’t end up going. I can see it turning very strange, even stranger than usual. I have an idea that eventually someone relatively well known will carry out an extreme act based solely on U.K. political Twitter, having been driven mad by the RTs. Will that fox killing QC guy set fire to themselves at Downing Street this week? If Cummings is sacked will Andrew Lilco blow up the Houses of Parliament? We can only hope so.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They can't taser them if they don't answer questions. Johnson and Shapps portayed themselves as lying, hypocritical and craven arseholes, it was more than I could have hoped for.

That’s true, fair enough. Maybe I’m expecting too much, I’m looking to see Ben Swain levels of physical unease.