Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Downing Street now saying the trip was essential as he was concerned that he and his wife would become too ill to look after their boy. Still doesn't get away from the fact that countless other folk managed to follow the guidelines in similar circumstances.

If he was so sure he was acting within the rules, why lie about it for weeks?

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Downing Street now saying the trip was essential as he was concerned that he and his wife would become too ill to look after their boy. Still doesn't get away from the fact that countless other folk managed to follow the guidelines in similar circumstances.

If he was so sure he was acting within the rules, why lie about it for weeks?

I’d imagine that Cummings and his missus have the financial wherewithal to arrange emergency paid childminding more easily than most folk faced with that dilemma.

Any and every excuse will be used, I just hope voters in Scotland take note of these double standards.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Any and every excuse will be used, I just hope voters in Scotland take note of these double standards.

Narrator: voters in Scotland did not, in fact, take note of these double standards.

I'm looking forward to hear what Carlaw has to say about Cummings.

Lest we forget what he said about Catherine Calderwood.

"Dr Calderwood's position is very difficult, untenable even, given the damage this has caused public trust," he said.

“The vast majority of Scots are complying with official advice to stay home and protect our NHS.

"There cannot be one rule for the bosses and another one for everyone else."

I am in a very similar position to the one Cummings was apparently in. Family a long way away and no obvious contingency if we got ill. 

Had one of us caught it, we couldn't rely on family assistance to care for our daughter, who is under 2. We spoke about what we would do in such circumstances and both agreed that we would just have to tough it out. If things got bad (i.e. both in hospital or we were "floored" by it, as Cummings allegedly was) , we would have to phone family to come and take our daughter home with them. 

However, at no time would we ourselves undertake the journey as we would be symptomatic. Why his sisters or nieces couldn't come and collect the kid is beyond me here. 

He might have a good reason for this (childcare) but he's broken the guidelines and has to go. Yes it's a difficult position but there were other ways of going about this. I don't think Calderwood or Ferguson would've been fired if they hadn't resigned, but Cummings is a different matter - he is totally blind to these sorts of things and won't resign. Unlike the other two he is not someone undertaking a critical job and therefore should be fired. He can very easily be replaced by some other lacky.

He won't resign and he predictably won't be fired per the statement, so assuming this is buried with other covid news, nothing happens. The Tories will only punt him if it stays on the agenda and noticeably starts to damage them. 

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm looking forward to hear what Carlaw has to say about Cummings.

Lest we forget what he said about Catherine Calderwood.

"Dr Calderwood's position is very difficult, untenable even, given the damage this has caused public trust," he said.

“The vast majority of Scots are complying with official advice to stay home and protect our NHS.

"There cannot be one rule for the bosses and another one for everyone else."

I can exclusively reveal exactly what Carlaw will say on Cummings:

Edited by RiG

He'll linger on for about 2 weeks while they dither and dither, the media will paint his eventual sacking as an example of strong leadership by Johnson, and he will be re-hired to do the same job with a slightly different title in August.