Coronavirus (COVID-19)

28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

When I reach you’re level of low I’ll really start to worry.

When I reach your level of grammar, I'll start to worry.

47 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I feel like I’m in a lose-lose situation now with this sort of thing. Adhering to the 2m distance apparently makes you a c**t to some people (as above), whilst not adhering to it and walking past someone at less than 2m makes you a c**t to others. You can’t win.

Had a bizarre incident a few weeks back. Was walking up the pavement towards my flat and there was an older woman walking with crutches ahead. I stepped out onto the road in between two parked cars to allow her the full pavement to go past. I thought I was doing the right thing, particularly as she looked like she’d meet the criteria to be in the vulnerable group, but under her breath she said something like “don’t think the fucking pavement will give you corona” in quite an angry tone. If it had been someone else and I’d just charged on brushing past them they might have had an equally angry reaction.

I think the key point is that people were c***s before the pandemic, people are c***s during the pandemic, and people will continue to be c***s after the pandemic.

Assume everyone you encounter is a c**t, and the worst case scenario is that you were right.

45 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Both instances probably lasted no longer than 5-10 seconds and neither of them inconvenienced him in any way whatsoever. It's knicker wetting.

I read it as a couple of observations on human behaviour being changed by the current environment - and not necessarily for the better.

I would also put money on there being more than a bit of hypocrisy bout the actions of the two examples - I wonder which rules they think don't apply to them?

I know of nobody - repeat, nobody - who has followed every single piece of guidance, advice, or rule since this came in. It is human to make assumptions, but the shouty woman strikes me as someone who doesn't really understand the nature of the risk. Wearing gloves? why, and for how long? A mask, outdoors, away from almost all human contact? Sorry., that's not an adult thinking for herself.

46 minutes ago, bennett said:

This, we've eventually got to start getting back to normal plus Asda will probably fcuk it up.

What you need is for Morrison's to bring in a rival app wee fella who will nip over the Kadikoi and let you know when it's your turn.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I thought phase 3 was likely to be around 16th July 🤔

Really? My ex would always use them even if there was nobody at the till. By the time she faffed around at the machine, I’d placed my order and was already waiting for it before she’d even paid for hers 

So still about 7 weeks away.  It's good to know at least there is light at the end of the tunnel 

5 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Should UK pensioners be forced to pay the bill for coronavirus?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/may/22/uk-pensioners-coronavirus-triple-lock-state-pension

A month ago a broadly centrist thinktank, the Social Market Foundation (SMF), said a key element of the so-called “triple lock” on the state pension should be scrapped, to save £20bn.

If you are unfamiliar with the triple lock, it’s one of the cornerstones of UK state pensions. It ensures the state pension increases each year by the highest of earnings, price inflation or 2.5%. The SMF argued that the 2.5% guarantee should be removed.

Leaked Treasury documents last week suggested that an end to the triple lock is indeed on the table as the government grapples with the expected £300bn cost of the pandemic.

Interesting that pensions are the cash cow and that the general public of this country are all now in debt to our overlords in Westminster who guided us safely through this crisis with minimum damage.

I will get my state pension from next year and do not have a problem with the triple lock being removed.

However, the idea that the country/economy is fucked because of the state pension being too high has been debunked so many times.  The U.K. state pension is one of the lowest in Europe.  Yet otherwise intelligent people buy into it because it suits their agenda.

The Tories must piss themselves laughing every time young/younger people blame pensioners for everything.

1 It lets them (the Tories) off the hook.  People blaming the pensioners rather than the money being wasted on Trident, multi-national tax avoidance and private delivery of public services suits the Tories perfectly.

2 It allows the Tories to become the champions of the pensioners ensuring that a disproportionate number of pensioners continue to vote for the cùnts.

3 Most importantly for the Tories it creates division in society.  Far easier to manipulate a divided society that one that sees their interests aligned.

Fortunately we have a flicker of hope in Scotland.

It will be interesting to see how this "broadly 5 miles" advice works for the likes of Golf ?

Speaking personally, I live "roughly" 7 miles from my golf course which I pay £80 per month for the privilege of being a member, should I be prevented from playing then I'll be nothing short of furious and I won't be alone.

Most clubs in Scotland have the majority of members from outwith their town so how will this work in practice ??

Again though it's the rationale behind it, why is someone driving 5 miles any less of a risk than someone driving 6 or 7 or 8 etc ?

Will the Golf clubs themselves expect people to continue to pay for a product which they are unable to access ??

If so, will the Government step in to save clubs as they fail due to them being very important to local economies ??

We then have the practical issues, so my local bank is in the same town as this golf course so I CAN legally travel to this town to access said Bank but I'm not allowed to visit my own golf course while I'm there, why ??

Sorry if this annoys anyone but i'm just attempting to show some of the real life "issues" that this phased escape from lockdown will be presenting.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

will be interesting to see how this "broadly 5 miles" advice works for the likes of Golf ?

Speaking personally, I live "roughly" 7 miles from my golf course

Then just think on the course being broadly 5 miles away, then. It's not as if we're being given a designated police officer each. Common sense should be applied, maybe?

NS quite clearly said it wasn't going to be enforced.

The idea is that people don't start driving across the country for a picnic, potentially spreading the virus from area to area

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Sorry if this annoys anyone

I think it's awful that Nicola hasn't sent you a personalised breakdown of what exactly you can and can't do in your precise circumstances.

Enjoy the golf! :)

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Then just think on the course being broadly 5 miles away, then. It's not as if we're being given a designated police officer each. Common sense should be applied, maybe?

Yes, don't get me wrong I've every intention of playing but my worry would be that the clubs themselves are threatened about policing it and could be at risk of losing their licence or fines if seen to be breaching ?

I know that they've been asked to keep tee sheets data for 6 weeks for contact tracing purposes (which is fair enough of course).

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Like the deaths in care homes certain detached morons might call this collateral damage or inevitable.

The morons are the ones claiming one life is worth more than the economy.

The 'morons' you are referring to have been pointing out the obvious long term effects for ages.

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I will get my state pension from next year and do not have a problem with the triple lock being removed.

However, the idea that the country/economy is fucked because of the state pension being too high has been debunked so many times.  The U.K. state pension is one of the lowest in Europe.  Yet otherwise intelligent people buy into it because it suits their agenda.

The Tories must piss themselves laughing every time young/younger people blame pensioners for everything.

1 It lets them (the Tories) off the hook.  People blaming the pensioners rather than the money being wasted on Trident, multi-national tax avoidance and private delivery of public services suits the Tories perfectly.

2 It allows the Tories to become the champions of the pensioners ensuring that a disproportionate number of pensioners continue to vote for the cùnts.

3 Most importantly for the Tories it creates division in society.  Far easier to manipulate a divided society that one that sees their interests aligned.

Fortunately we have a flicker of hope in Scotland.

The triple lock is sleight of hand of the most cynical kind.

It makes it look like the elderly poor are being given special help by getting guaranteed inflation proof rise in income. 

It successfully distracts from the fact that the actual level of the pension just about covers utilities and basic food. 

I think using a bit of common sense for outdoor activites such as hiking, fishing and golf are all they are asking. Don't go to the mountains in Skye if your from Glasgow when you can go to Ben Lomond or the Cobbler same scenario with fishing and golf, stay local.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think it's awful that Nicola hasn't sent you a personalised breakdown of what exactly you can and can't do in your precise circumstances.

Enjoy the golf! :)

She did E-mail me actually (being an SNP member) but it was all rather generic !!

Yes, I get your point and I have acknowledged that I am looking at this from a purely selfish perspective !!!

3 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

My mum doesn’t have a smart phone, or any phone other than a landline. She also doesn’t drive. Asda is the supermarket she goes to. I always wondered what would happen if these measures were still in place come Autumn/winter when the weather can be atrocious. I know quite a few elderly people around my neighbourhood who get the bus to Asda and then back home. I doubt all (or even any) of them have a smart phone.

No one is suggesting that someone who doesn't have a smartphone, or a car won't be allowed in to Asda.

('Sake)

Autumn is far away.