Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think there is only one poster doing that.

ASDA are thinking of this in the hope it generates more customers under the guise of safety, rather than it being based on actually being any safer. They as much as say so in that article.

There's a reason this hasn't been done here until now, or in widespread (if any) use anywhere else, and it's not because it's a brilliant idea.

Of course it isnh't any safer - assuming Asda have been enforcing SD in the queue - which, tbf, in our loal store they were. It's about making things less of a pain in the arse, and I'm fairly sure they will see a return through the tills on that score.  Dry customers, full tills, what's not to like?

Why do you think it hasn't been done/shouldn't be done?

1 hour ago, renton said:

Older groups who dont necessarily use smart phones, or non car owners reliant on some form of public transport which is a non trivial percentage of urban populations. Intersections of those groups.

By the time Asdas rolls this out, they might get a month or two out of it before all lockdown procedures are ended. 

Why smartphones? A majority of the oldies I know have a mobile of some sort, often on PAYG. They know how to read a text.

For those reliant on PT, I'm sure Asda could be persuaded to erect a wee gazebo affair with seats and maybe tea and coffee available while waiting. Positive PR for minimum spend.

Go and smoke a wee joint or something mate, you're getting awfy worked up over nothing.
We can never tell because we're only seeing one side of this.

But my instinct says there are some people being way too militant over this. It's like the curtain twitching as well - it encourages the worst of our human instincts.

We need to show some courtesy and understanding, and only in very rare cases do folk need pulled up for their behaviour.

When we're talking about what it takes for this virus to spread, being a bit closer than 2 metres as you pass someone in a shop is relatively low risk. It requires coughs and sneezes to create the droplets, or contact with surfaces. Cleaning hands and surfaces has increased many times over and so the risk of getting it in a shop is pretty small.

The big spread has been around hospitals and care homes. Those are considerably higher risk - and even then we're clearly reducing the spread with better method.

Hotspots will break out, and hopefully the test and isolate system will work quite quickly to take action. But prevention measures have to be taken with a level of basic understanding for people. Not by some glorified, self-appointed virus fighters.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Asda can do as they please as they're a private company, there's no doubt it will work for some but not for others, similar to the other ideas like "scan you're own shop", "self service checkouts" etc. some love them and some despise them (I'm in the latter category).

Very rarely are these new "tech advances"  brought in for customer satisfaction or benefit, they're generally as a cost saving and benefit to the company and that shouldn't be forgotten.

McDonalds and their ordering machines another prime example, what a shambles these things are as a 2 minute visit for a cheeseburger has now turned into a 10 minute visit with far more hassle (hence the reason I've now stopped my occasional lunchtime visits), however it's cut down on their costs (apparently) so it's being marketed as a benefit to the customer when nothing could be further from the truth.

Totally agree - no innovation in the retail or business world is ever (voluntarily) brought in for ANY reason other than the bottom line.

McDonalds are well-known cúnts of long-standing. Anyone thinking those lovely folks in green at Asda are about anything other than the green should watch "Walmart: The High Cost of Low Prices". Utter fucking scum, and yes, most of those practises are now standard in their UK operation.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

It relates because my opinion is that some of the things now being talked about are OTT. They maybe weren’t eight weeks ago, but as we move forward, I think more things like this should be considered for being relaxed, not intensified. I illustrated another example, where the correspondence from my gym about what it would take to make me feel safe, clearly approached it from a position of thinking I was worried about going there. The whole tone was ‘we understand you could be scared about a gym’.... eh, no. Open it tomorrow please. It’s a controlled environment, and your cleaning efforts were excellent about eight weeks ago anyway. OK, maybe keep the pool closed, why not introduce a booking policy - no walk-ins... sensible precautions, but don’t automatically assume I am shitting myself unless your staff walk around wearing welders masks and individually disenfect every tea cup.

Keep the part of the gym literally filled with disinfecting chemicals closed but everything else open? 

4 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Totally agree - no innovation in the retail or business world is ever (voluntarily) brought in for ANY reason other than the bottom line.

McDonalds are well-known cúnts of long-standing. Anyone thinking those lovely folks in green at Asda are about anything other than the green should watch "Walmart: The High Cost of Low Prices". Utter fucking scum, and yes, most of those practises are now standard in their UK operation.

You think that looking after the bottom line and doing things that are socially responsible are always mutually exclusive?

Absolutely.

But quite often their aim for profit ties in with making life easier for their customers.

Unintended consequences exist - but they manage to get what folk want more ofter not.

The futuristic scenes in the 'wall e' film is a good example. You can see folk becoming lazier, fatter, more concerned with trivial pish - but how the f**k do you stop it when so many folk want that.

I love the tesco self scan machines, and yet i know they reduce basic human interaction - and that's not healthy for society. Same with online shopping.

Nothing beats having a nice, leisurely wander round a few good shops and grabbing some food or beverage. But half the time you came be arsed and just go with amazon (even though they're utter c***s - tax evasion and treatment of workers being).

12 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Of course it isnh't any safer - assuming Asda have been enforcing SD in the queue - which, tbf, in our loal store they were. It's about making things less of a pain in the arse, and I'm fairly sure they will see a return through the tills on that score.  Dry customers, full tills, what's not to like?

Why do you think it hasn't been done/shouldn't be done?

Personally I don't think it is any less of a pain in the arse. It's literally adding steps.

ASDA can, of course, do as they wish, but don't do it under the guise of "increasing safety"

If they erect a wee gazebo so people can hang about and have tea and coffee and attract that crowd that's fine by me. It will draw them away from elsewhere and i'll go where the least hassle is.

It's not been done here or elsewhere because the reality is it's unnecessary. If a measure wasn't needed at the peak of the virus, then it isn't needed now to complete the same activity. Nobody asked for this.

Other countries are taking slow steps towards the ultimate aim of getting back to normality. We seem to be obsessed with re-inventing the wheel and creating a "new normal" absolutely everywhere.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The majority of over 65s in this country don’t have a phone with internet access.

40% did last year though and that will be going up rapidly with nearly every phone sold now having internet access.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Come on man, the first guy he has a problem with in that wee story literally just walked round him in the street. He literally got annoyed at the way the guy walked round him, and you think he's being reasonable? 

The woman in the second story was pointing out rules that he was blissfully ignorant to, yet it's her that's the c**t?

Go and smoke a wee joint or something mate, you're getting awfy worked up over nothing.

The first guy, as I reafd it, wandered into a road while wearing earphones as a car was approaching - a clearer and more immediate danger to his health than some old duffer wandering along moaning about there being no golf.

The woman in the second instance is a simple over-reaction - maybe the woman could have spoken in a measured, calm way?  It might not have helped to point out to the daft bint that shouting increases your aerosol generation considerably - meaning that a more than safe distance was now actually more risky for said old duffer.  Unless, of course, she was shouting into her mask which doesn't make for clear communication.

In summary, I would say that, on the original statement, Pozbaird is correct in his categorisation of these two.

Still, as he said, earphone boy was probably ignorant of his surorundings pre-lockdown, and shoutybint is more than likely a Karen of long-standing cuntiness.

1 hour ago, Wee Willie said:

Self service checkouts are the bees knees for me.

Being deaf I can nonchalantly scan my stuff and pay for my purchases without interacting with anyone.

In my ain wee deaf world it's paradise (and no my big teams no been found) 😆

^^^Buys 5 kilos of "carrots" every week type post. Ye don't fool me, ya auld scamp that ye are.

Absolutely.

But quite often their aim for profit ties in with making life easier for their customers.

Unintended consequences exist - but they manage to get what folk want more ofter not.

The futuristic scenes in the 'wall e' film is a good example. You can see folk becoming lazier, fatter, more concerned with trivial pish - but how the f**k do you stop it when so many folk want that.

I love the tesco self scan machines, and yet i know they reduce basic human interaction - and that's not healthy for society. Same with online shopping.

Nothing beats having a nice, leisurely wander round a few good shops and grabbing some food or beverage. But half the time you came be arsed and just go with amazon (even though they're utter c***s - tax evasion and treatment of workers being).
I made a conscious decision about two years ago to desist from both Amazon and Wetherspoons - my choice and I'm not attempting to have a go at anyone - and what I would say is that life actually does go on. When I order books via the web I generally still check the Amazon price, if only to confirm that very often the likes of Waterstones are directly matching them. Aside from my personal agenda, we all tend to make the assumption that the big guys are always cheaper, but it ain't necessarily so - B & Q for example.

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

SO, given that the weather isn't always dry, would you rather

a. stand outside Tesco in the pissing rain for anything up to an hour or more, or

b. park in Asda's car park and fart around on your phone/watch some netflix/listen to music/read a book, while warm dry and sat down?

This is the kind of solution which, while maybe late to the party, will make everyone's life easier. *

One wrinkle - your taxi issue - have a limited number of slots to pre-book (by the taxi firm to ensure no piss-taking). Problem solved.

*Unlike the UK Government's latest flirtation with the 21st Century, which is falling to pieces before it's even got going.

2 hours ago, beefybake said:

Pathetic argument.

My mum doesn’t have a smart phone, or any phone other than a landline. She also doesn’t drive. Asda is the supermarket she goes to. I always wondered what would happen if these measures were still in place come Autumn/winter when the weather can be atrocious. I know quite a few elderly people around my neighbourhood who get the bus to Asda and then back home. I doubt all (or even any) of them have a smart phone.