Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, renton said:

I've lost count of the number of small tech companies "demonstrating" their wares in making PPE or ventilator components, not because they were asked too, and certainly not because what they make would be in any way compliant or useful, but simply to be seen to do so.

Aye. Saw BAE bragging about building a ventilator yesterday.... at a time when we just don't need any.

Thanks but it still doesn't seem right.  The second degree contacts will take days to show symptoms and in the meantime, as was said, there will be overlaps. It's a labyrinthine operation which is bound to fail and be quietly dropped.    We'll see.   Thanks to all who tried to educate me.  :smartass

The problem is, if you start isolating second and third degree contacts then suddenly you’re in de facto lockdown because the entire country is in lockdown.

Take this example (happened to me in early March)

My flatmate (we’ll call him Bob) had been on a few dates with a girl off tinder (we’ll call her Alice), the girl’s flatmate (we’ll call her Clara) had been to visit her friend (we’ll call her Daisy) a few days before Bob had spend the evening with Alice and entered the Alice/Clara flat.

Daisy then tested positive after developing symptoms. This was before the lockdown started when they were still trying to test every case.

Clara, as a direct contact of Daisy, then also has to self-isolate (first degree contact)

Alice was NOT advised to self-isolate as she did not contact Daisy directly. She was a second degree contact.

Bob is the third degree contact.

I (Euan) am the fourth degree contact.

I can almost guarantee that by isolating third and fourth degree contacts it will get out of hand very quickly.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

Aye. Saw BAE bragging about building a ventilator yesterday.... at a time when we just don't need any.

Presumably the airbus consortium is still getting paid to build all those ventilators? I suppose at least, we'll come out of this with a better per head provision for ICU machinery...

Who could blame them, however the quarantine is at our end just at the time when the majority of Europe are looking to OPEN their borders.

I think the idea of a blanket quarantine now is the absolute definition of stupid, we have no reason to stop travellers from New Zealand, Australia, Latvia and Iceland etc, but certainly for now it should apply to the US, South America and India etc where the virus is very much still running amok. That also seemed to be the view of the public health prof from Edinburgh Uni on James Obrien’s show this morning. Control entry from high risk countries (as other nations should probably be doing from here) is a sensible decision, one which should have been done months ago.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Fair enough but I’m not sure how that relates to the Asda idea I was posting about.

It relates because my opinion is that some of the things now being talked about are OTT. They maybe weren’t eight weeks ago, but as we move forward, I think more things like this should be considered for being relaxed, not intensified. I illustrated another example, where the correspondence from my gym about what it would take to make me feel safe, clearly approached it from a position of thinking I was worried about going there. The whole tone was ‘we understand you could be scared about a gym’.... eh, no. Open it tomorrow please. It’s a controlled environment, and your cleaning efforts were excellent about eight weeks ago anyway. OK, maybe keep the pool closed, why not introduce a booking policy - no walk-ins... sensible precautions, but don’t automatically assume I am shitting myself unless your staff walk around wearing welders masks and individually disenfect every tea cup.

Yeah it's the other people who are snowflakes, not the guy who's getting upset at a guy walking round him on the street or a woman telling him to follow the rules in a shop.
There's a fine line in this kind of interaction.

My general feeling is that folk who are so fucking antsy about other people at the moment that they need to make comment are the ones being c***s.

Of course there will be incidents where the reverse is true. But I've seen more cases of people being overly-paranoid than overly-close in my personal space.

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think the idea of a blanket quarantine now is the absolute definition of stupid, we have no reason to stop travellers from New Zealand, Australia, Latvia and Iceland etc, but certainly for now it should apply to the US, South America and India etc where the virus is very much still running amok. That also seemed to be the view of the public health prof from Edinburgh Uni on James Obrien’s show this morning. Control entry from high risk countries (as other nations should probably be doing from here) is a sensible decision, one which should have been done months ago.

Have they released the details of the quarantine yet?

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yes, totally agree with this, in fact it's just common sense that you'd expect even Dominic Cummings might appreciate....

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah it's the other people who are snowflakes, not the guy who's getting upset at a guy walking round him on the street or a woman telling him to follow the rules in a shop.

Not biting.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Have they released the details of the quarantine yet?

14 day quarantine with spot checks apparently being done and fines of up to £1,000.00 for a breach.

Address must be provided or government could provide one for you !!

Review to be carried out every three weeks.

My own thoughts on the above is that the Gov will appreciate that it's a shambles but won't want to lose face, so given that most of Europe are planning on dropping their borders by July, i can see us introducing this for 6 - 8 weeks maximum and then be part of a co-ordinated plan with the rest of Europe.

19 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

My general feeling is that folk who are so fucking antsy about other people at the moment that they need to make comment are the ones being c***s.

Of course there will be incidents where the reverse is true. But I've seen more cases of people being overly-paranoid than overly-close in my personal space.

I maintain that the reaction of those two individuals were the reactions of utter cnuts. For the past ten weeks or so, 99.9% of my interaction with other people has been positive. We say hello as we pass, we never used to. We make comment about how their dog must be loving lockdown, with all the walks they must be getting, we step past each other respectfully and carry on. Most people are trying their best under trying circumstances. Those two, and there have been more like them, are just cnuts. They were most likely cnuts this time last year. In regard to ‘angry arrow woman’, Christ, the first couple of weeks when M&S had arrows (since ditched because they didn’t work), if I angrily shouted at everyone who wasn’t walking in their direction, I’d have been given a  deserved kick in the baws from someone.

Edited by pozbaird

14 day quarantine with spot checks apparently being done and fines of up to £1,000.00 for a breach.
Address must be provided or government could provide one for you !!
Review to be carried out every three weeks.
My own thoughts on the above is that the Gov will appreciate that it's a shambles but won't want to lose face, so given that most of Europe are planning on dropping their borders by July, i can see us introducing this for 6 - 8 weeks maximum and then be part of a co-ordinated plan with the rest of Europe.

Imo this policy is simply aimed at appeasing the xenophobic tory base, you know the type who think its ok to go to the beach and drink beer but also think that people from countries with no real risk of corona should be quarantined because you know its the foreigners aint it dave?

No, that’s not what I meant. I am taking sensible precautions, I believe we all should be sensible. The shitebags I am talking about are guys like the one I mentioned in another post. The one who, while walking towards me on an otherwise deserted pavement, stopped dead in his tracks ten feet away from me, because I had stopped to get a stone out my shoe. He did a military type left turn, and marched straight into the middle of the road. Stopped on the white lines, did another deliberate sharp turn, and proceeded to march straight down the centre of a busy road, wearing in-ear buds, with a Mercedes A Class heading towards him from behind at 30mph.
The woman in the outdoor area of B&Q, wearing a mask and gloves, who angrily shouted at me that there were arrows on the floor, even though we were the only people in a huge outdoor area and I was about 5m away anyway. My first visit since they opened, I simply never noticed the arrows.
Cnuts like these, that’s who I’m talking about. Seem to be far too many of them around. Hopefully they decide to continue observing lockdown by locking themselves in their living rooms for a couple of years.

Don’t forget those who are outside or at shops complaining about how many people are also outside or at shops. BE A WEAR

I know i sound selfish but I’m not bothered about catching this virus, of course i would rather not get it and i would feel rotten if someone vulnerable caught it from me but i am not living in fear of a bad dose of man flu.
We should be concentrating every effort protecting, treating and strengthening the vulnerable and letting the rest of the country get on with life .
Lockdown all you want, it’s all about testing, we didn’t do it like the WHO advised and we payed the price. As far back as January the virus’ lengthy symptomless contagious period was known about. We quarantined arrivals from china but not Italy, we cleared entire wards of people from hospitals without testing - that was like putting petrol on a fire instead of water but never mind that. I killed agranny cause i drove 5 mile to go a walk in the woodS

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Come on man, the first guy he has a problem with in that wee story literally just walked round him in the street. He literally got annoyed at the way the guy walked round him, and you think he's being reasonable? 

The woman in the second story was pointing out rules that he was blissfully ignorant to, yet it's her that's the c**t?

Just now, pozbaird said:

I maintain that the reaction of those two individuals were the reactions of utter cnuts. For the past ten weeks or so, 99.9% of my interaction with other people has been positive. We say hello as we pass, we never used to. We make comment about how their dog must be loving lockdown, we step past each other respectfully and carry on. Most people are trying their best under trying circumstances. Those two, and there have been more like them, are just cnuts. They were most likely cnuts this time last year.

Go and smoke a wee joint or something mate, you're getting awfy worked up over nothing.

2 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:
12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:
My post looks foolish now.

Where do Lochee Harp play now

Played at Downfield last two years as new ground getting built on opposite side of Old Kings Cross Rd from Beechwood park.

https://twitter.com/LocheeHarpJfc/status/1234052823479914496?s=20

Great facility I'm sure but without the character of the old place.

harp-v-united-1600-6-of-43.jpg

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’m probably at the midpoint between North End and Harp (both within walking distance) and have never been to either.

Good day.

I’ve never been to a Juniors game in my life and never will be.

47 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Asda can do as they please as they're a private company, there's no doubt it will work for some but not for others, similar to the other ideas like "scan you're own shop", "self service checkouts" etc. some love them and some despise them (I'm in the latter category).

Very rarely are these new "tech advances"  brought in for customer satisfaction or benefit, they're generally as a cost saving and benefit to the company and that shouldn't be forgotten.

McDonalds and their ordering machines another prime example, what a shambles these things are as a 2 minute visit for a cheeseburger has now turned into a 10 minute visit with far more hassle (hence the reason I've now stopped my occasional lunchtime visits), however it's cut down on their costs (apparently) so it's being marketed as a benefit to the customer when nothing could be further from the truth.

Self service checkouts are the bees knees for me.

Being deaf I can nonchalantly scan my stuff and pay for my purchases without interacting with anyone.

In my ain wee deaf world it's paradise (and no my big teams no been found) 😆