Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Typical DABs picking the wrong team.

Downfield Derry Rhumba.

I used to go and see Downfield occasionally when Dundee were away somewhere I couldn't be arsed with, or not playing. Cracking side back in the late 80s/early 90s. My uncle played for them in the 60s as well. 

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

500 fans could not fit in to a lower league ground with social distancing.

If folk had dimensions of stands I could prove it using straightforward maths.

100m along the side of the pitch, 50 folk every 2m. If you have a person every four rows (3 rows space) you would need two side stands 20 rows deep or one 40 deep. If you can let in household groups, even less space needed. 

And people said hearts new stand was a waste of money. 

13 hours ago, pozbaird said:

What’s weird about it? What’s weird about me disliking people telling me that life as we know it has gone, and we are facing a ‘new normal’.  My experience of life recently has been one of people shitting themselves if someone coughs or sneezes twenty feet away from them, and staring daggers at you if you aren’t exactly 2m away from them. People walking around wearing masks and gloves. Shop workers wearing perspex masks. Queuing for a pint of milk with tape on the pavement. Want me to go on?

So, what’s weird about me railing against this current way of life being described as  normal at alll? In any way, shape or form, it is far from normal.

Head gone over a word.

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

My local junior team. A 10 minute walk from where I stay. I walked past their ground twice yesterday, on the way and the way back from Tesco.

This sounds like a brainstorming scene setting session for the next gritty Peter Mcdougall Play for Today.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Reading that story, and many others of the same nature, it’s going to be a long slog for those of us who simply aren’t shitting themselves about going to a shop, or doing anything normal. I received a lengthy questionaire from Bannatyne’s Gym today, asking what I think they should do, to make me feel safe returning to their gyms. My reply was simple. I would feel safe if I could return tomorrow, as long as they continued with their normal cleaning routine. I felt safe there in the two weeks of lockdown lite.

Going to be dragged down by swathes of shitebags for month after month by the looks of it.

13 hours ago, Donathan said:

I believe this is how it works:

Alice tests positive, she provides details for her 9 contacts.

The tracers contact the 9 and advise them to self-isolate for 14 days, and ask them for their Contacts.

Those second degree contacts only self-isolate if someone that they’ve actually met falls ill.

Thanks but it still doesn't seem right.  The second degree contacts will take days to show symptoms and in the meantime, as was said, there will be overlaps. It's a labyrinthine operation which is bound to fail and be quietly dropped.    We'll see.   Thanks to all who tried to educate me.  :smartass

Have the UK Government completely lost the plot ??

Regarding the scenes at beaches and seaside resorts up and down England over the past few days, they seem to think that it's a great idea for everyone to "holiday at home" in the worst virus hit country of Europe and the one which has the most lax laws on social distancing, however, they see people travelling to responsible countries (which in many cases are virtually virus free) as a major risk and as such are introducing a quarantine of 14 days.

Apart from this, why (even right now) have they been allowing people to come and go without any safety measures in place or indeed restrictions ? but now that the virus is seemingly under control in Europe we're making it difficult /almost impossible to travel ??

Seriously !!!

What is the rationale for this and why has nobody other than the aviation industry ripped this plan to shreds ??

Is it because they want to keep people "imprisoned" in this hellhole of a country so that we can "kickstart the economy" ??

That's all I can think, because it's certainly not for health and safety reasons.

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Nah f**k that.

Why put something like that in place after the worst is gone? What we have now is fine and should be relaxed as time goes on.

Also wouldn't work for those that get taxis for their weekly shop either.

Stop trying to be too clever.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Nah f**k that.

Why put something like that in place after the worst is gone? What we have now is fine and should be relaxed as time goes on.

SO, given that the weather isn't always dry, would you rather

a. stand outside Tesco in the pissing rain for anything up to an hour or more, or

b. park in Asda's car park and fart around on your phone/watch some netflix/listen to music/read a book, while warm dry and sat down?

This is the kind of solution which, while maybe late to the party, will make everyone's life easier. *

One wrinkle - your taxi issue - have a limited number of slots to pre-book (by the taxi firm to ensure no piss-taking). Problem solved.

*Unlike the UK Government's latest flirtation with the 21st Century, which is falling to pieces before it's even got going.

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

a. stand outside Tesco in the pissing rain for anything up to an hour or more

I think the longest i've stood outside has been 5 minutes.

When people aren't panic buying, the supermarkets (at least round here) aren't generally that busy...

What if you don't have a smart phone?

It's a nonsense idea, and makes everyone's life a chore, not easier.

Why should customers in taxis be able to prebook slots btw?

Edited by Todd_is_God

17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Apart from this, why (even right now) have they been allowing people to come and go without any safety measures in place or indeed restrictions ? but now that the virus is seemingly under control in Europe we're making it difficult /almost impossible to travel ??

The rest of Europe doesn't want our diseased manky arses, not while they're just getting things under control.

21 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Nah f**k that.

You’re a twàt.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think the longest i've stood outside has been 5 minutes.(1)

When people aren't panic buying, the supermarkets (at least round here) aren't generally that busy...

What if you don't have a smart phone?(2)

Why should customers in taxis be able to prebook slots btw?(3)

1. You've been either lucky or able to time your visits for quiet times then (I go quiet times, as predicted by my inside contact at Asda).

2. Find a supermarket where you can queue old-school stylee, then. I'm reckoning the supermarket, if they're going to a virtual system wholesale, believe that enough people have them to make the system worthwhile. I would agree with that assessment. As would the Government, as their WunderApp relies on high take-up.

3. You raised these as an issue. I simply provided a possible, top-of-my-head solution.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think the longest i've stood outside has been 5 minutes.

What if you don't have a smart phone?

Why should customers in taxis be able to prebook slots btw?

Pathetic argument.