Coronavirus (COVID-19)

56 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's the least surprising thing you've said this year.

Are you ever NOT angry?

You do realise that sooner or later we'll all be dead and none of this nonsense will matter right?

Do you really want to look back on your death bed and have nothing but bitterness and anger as your life experience?

Nope. I want to look back and know that I did everything I could to leave the world a better place than when I arrived, in whatever small way I could.  Specifically, that I did everything within my power to ensure my children, and theirs, inherited a world where they could share in the bounty this world has to offer - not plead for scraps and spend their lives tugging forelocks because they didn't have the foresight to fall out of the right fanny.

Damn' right I'm angry. My generation have absolutely fucked it, and all in the race to die with the most toys.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Basically under your schedule it will be game over for any person with underlying conditions or over say 75 so the rest of us can do what we like

Well no, that wasn't what I said at all.

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Nope. I want to look back and know that I did everything I could to leave the world a better place than when I arrived, in whatever small way I could.  Specifically, that I did everything within my power to ensure my children, and theirs, inherited a world where they could share in the bounty this world has to offer - not plead for scraps and spend their lives tugging forelocks because they didn't have the foresight to fall out of the right fanny.

Damn' right I'm angry. My generation have absolutely fucked it, and all in the race to die with the most toys.

I've never tugged my forelock in my life. 

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

wee bit of doubt in yer mind though, you've been here for years and you're on 11k greenies, here's this whippersnapper not even been here 2 years sitting on 7k, getting closer in the mirrors all the time, willnae be long before you're overtaken, best put your foot on the gas and get posting

^^^ word salad

21 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I did read that.

I think it's a ridiculously emotive thing to say.

If a vaccine never comes / situation improves on its own it's quite the climb down to go back on it.

I don't think it will happen but football might have to be closed down for a season or two. It has happened before (WW1 or WW2) then started back up again. It's no big deal. People have faced tougher situations than this. 

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

You can only say that if their experiment with the economy failed.

If their way leads to them suffering much less of a downturn (and all the effects that has on living conditions) then they'll be the ones that got it right.

A lockdown that fucks the economy is only really useful if its done properly (new zealand etc).

Our half way measure looks like it could be the worst option, although it clearly saved lives.

Yeah, we'll see what the long term impacts are on all fronts. I obviously don't really know their situations in detail but I'd be surprised if a country like Denmark, which apparently started to ease lockdown a month ago, has been economically devastated from this. It goes back to the point about having different standards to begin with but I'd be surprised if the rest of that region's population are looking enviously at Sweden. 3.5x more deaths than Norway, Denmark and Finland combined to avoid a short lockdown doesn't seem like a major success story.

It looks like the lesson here is that shutting down early is the right answer for public health and the economy. As you say, our half way measure looks to have fucked both.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

Why don't those frothing at the mouth about returning to the way we were and whining about the speed of coming back or those who think the Govt(s) have got it wrong actually do something about it rather than bitching 24/7 on an internet forum. Get out there and live your life, do what you want, fill your boots. It it stops your constant moaning I'm all for it. In the meantime I'm out of here. Better to enjoy life for what it is rather than wishing it away pining for something you have absolutely no control over. See you all on the other side.

1 minute ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I don't think it will happen but football might have to be closed down for a season or two. It has happened before (WW1 or WW2) then started back up again. It's no big deal. People have faced tougher situations than this. 

Football didn't close down during the war

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Why don't those frothing at the mouth about returning to the way we were and whining about the speed of coming back or those who think the Govt(s) have got it wrong actually do something about it rather than bitching 24/7 on an internet forum. Get out there and live your life, do what you want, fill your boots. It it stops your constant moaning I'm all for it. In the meantime I'm out of here. Better to enjoy life for what it is rather than wishing it away pining for something you have absolutely no control over. See you all on the other side.

Good idea, I'm off to the pub.

2 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Well, my mistake. It doesn't change anything. We can still put football to bed for a year or two and things will work out fine.

The point was about health ministers making emotive declarations.

Not about football specifically.

Again you appear to assume a vaccine is guaranteed.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^^ baldy

Most under 30's would be delighted to have a hairline like mine, too thick for styles without products right enough. 

Not long back from a walk.  People far less willing to move than I’ve seen previously.  Could be coincidence or people becoming complacent.

Where we walked was busier than normal so that might be a factor but people should be able to adapt to that.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not long back from a walk.  People far less willing to move than I’ve seen previously.  Could be coincidence or people becoming complacent.

Where we walked was busier than normal so that might be a factor but people should be able to adapt to that.

What exactly do you think is going to happen to you if you walk past someone in the street?

Calm down man.