Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I get the sense, from going to supermarkets, that about 50% of people have completely sacked the self-distancing 2 metre thing already. As for masks, maybe 10% if you’re lucky are wearing them. 

Cant hold back the tide. Might as well free up restrictions a bit, then it’ll look like they have some semblance of control over the general public.

23 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Also, good to see that Boris Johnson continues to act like Trump and re-write history.

His supporters, just like Trump's,  know he's an outright liar but will still vote for him.

We aren't dealing with rationality here.

He should be pinned down at PMQs on something like this but I believe it's not permitted to call someone a liar in parliament.  Call him a c**t.

Nicola Sturgeon seems to be easing some social restrictions without telling people to get back to work en masse and is not yet saying when schools should be reopened.

Seems clear enough to me.

21 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Agreed.

Much as I've always loved trig, and algebra, and vectors and stuff,

right now I'm a bit directionless,

and a good nurse pic would go down really well

with my afternoon mug of tea and Hobnob.

th.jpg

42 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

So have I at the moment. I usually get a nr 1 head and beard.

I get a no 2 on the beard cos I still want a semblance of a beard when its been trimmed

I still get embarrassed when I tell the lassie I want a no1 on top and a no 2 on my beard.

It brings back memories of childhood.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Nicola Sturgeon seems to be easing some social restrictions without telling people to get back to work en masse and is not yet saying when schools should be reopened.

Me as well.

She did say that things could change depending on circumstances and professional advice at the time.

She says something similar each day but these journalists keep asking her the same questions every day.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

No, you can't meet both parents at the same time in England, and you can't meet at their house either.

No reason to assume it will be different here.

Fair point, forgot about that bizarre situation of meeting only one parent

Quite disappointed with the FM's comments today tbh. I had hoped that when she mentioned doing what was right for Scotland that meant that she would develop a tailored aproach, not just copy BJ's plan but start it 21 days later.
I had hoped to be able to pop over to see my parents soon but knowing that, despite just 57 new cases being recorded yesterday, in a fortnight's time that is still going to be forbidden (and more than likely at least until nearly July) is extremely disheartening.

Did she say that?

I thought she was going to announce our path on Thursday - but if its just the same as down south that'll be really shit.
If you and your parents think it's safe, and you don't brag about it on social media, there's nothing stopping you other than the very unlikely event of a small fine if you get lippy with the polis.
I think a lot of folk will be considering this now. I'm starting to struggle with how long it's been.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Did she say that?

I thought she was going to announce our path on Thursday - but if its just the same as down south that'll be really shit.

This was the snippet i caught. Sounds very similar to what BJ did down south.

And by very similar I mean exactly the same.

Why would it be different to what is being done in England?  The First Minister was very specific that we were not following a different policy but we were on a different timeline to other parts of the UK.

Anyway, here's a report about the impact of the virus and lockdown on the labour market and working people's lives.  http://classonline.org.uk/docs/Report_LMR2020_Workers_Emergency_FinalAmends2.pdf

Some headline figures

- 60% of respondants are three months or less away from defaulting on their mortgages or rent

- 20% of workers are not confident they'll be in their current job in six months

- Higher earners are more likely to be working from home than those earning lower wages (20k pa - 40% working from home; 20k-40k 48% working from home; over 40k 59% working from home)

This was the snippet i caught. Sounds very similar to what BJ did down south.
And by very similar I mean exactly the same.
That is shit.

I agree with others, that we had the chance to do things differently, and we've fucked it.

40 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

She's also not saying "this starts tomorrow". We will get more detail on Thursday with a view to changes being implemented the following Thursday. 

We need wider spread testing and tracking and I find it odd that both our governments aren't outlining steps to have this comprehensively implemented.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Why would it be different to what is being done in England?  The First Minister was very specific that we were not following a different policy but we were on a different timeline to other parts of the UK.

Anyway, here's a report about the impact of the virus and lockdown on the labour market and working people's lives.  http://classonline.org.uk/docs/Report_LMR2020_Workers_Emergency_FinalAmends2.pdf

Some headline figures

- 60% of respondants are three months or less away from defaulting on their mortgages or rent

- 20% of workers are not confident they'll be in their current job in six months

- Higher earners are more likely to be working from home than those earning lower wages (20k pa - 40% working from home; 20k-40k 48% working from home; over 40k 59% working from home)

I find the 60% figure surprisingly high and wonder how representative it is.

I wonder what the 20% figure is based upon; comments from specific employers or a more general feeling of unease?

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Quite disappointed with the FM's comments today tbh. I had hoped that when she mentioned doing what was right for Scotland that meant that she would develop a tailored aproach, not just copy BJ's plan but start it 21 days later.

I had hoped to be able to pop over to see my parents soon but knowing that, despite just 57 new cases being recorded yesterday, in a fortnight's time that is still going to be forbidden (and more than likely at least until nearly July) is extremely disheartening.

So pubs will be open here 21 days late than England?

Madness. 

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

She's also not saying "this starts tomorrow". We will get more detail on Thursday with a view to changes being implemented the following Thursday. 

I took it that she would show us the detail on Thursday, and say that if things continued to improve by the following Thursday, she would then consider putting it in to action from a few days later (which I assume would be 1st June)

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I wonder what the 20% figure is based upon; comments from specific employers or a more general feeling of unease?

The 60% is just a reflection of the fact that most workers don't have much savings (because it's far more sensible to pay your mortgage down).

The 20% seems low to me. I have mates who are tradesman who are worried about a 2008 style downturn and there are loads of people on zero hours or less than two years service who can be binned at the drop of a hat.

I know a lot of folk are making comparisons to England in terms of the types of changes we make but the reality is the 'phases' are going to be broadly similar in lots of different countries.  It probably would make sense, on paper, that the more remote and rural parts of Scotland can ease their lockdown restrictions faster as they'll have less cases/population density etc. But the problem is, for example, if you eased lockdown in the highlands then how many folk would travel up there and potentially cause a jump in cases again?

Another thought that occurred was that, as a result of having a longer lockdown, could we not potentially be in a situation where the easing of the restrictions is more accelerated than in England?  

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Doesn't surprise me too much, most people don't have a lot put away and the figure assumes they'll all be out of work tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.1b912cae4d1ad0388bca8362782dc739.png

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

I get the sense, from going to supermarkets, that about 50% of people have completely sacked the self-distancing 2 metre thing already. As for masks, maybe 10% if you’re lucky are wearing them. 

Cant hold back the tide. Might as well free up restrictions a bit, then it’ll look like they have some semblance of control over the general public.

Self distancing hasn't happened. One way systems are entertaining, especially for the old c***s who do not give a f**k ( never have)
Masks you see very rarely being worn. 
I am all for doing whatever the f**k we want :) We are anyway