Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Quite disappointed with the FM's comments today tbh. I had hoped that when she mentioned doing what was right for Scotland that meant that she would develop a tailored aproach, not just copy BJ's plan but start it 21 days later.

I had hoped to be able to pop over to see my parents soon but knowing that, despite just 57 new cases being recorded yesterday, in a fortnight's time that is still going to be forbidden (and more than likely at least until nearly July) is extremely disheartening.

19 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Quite disappointed with the FM's comments today tbh. I had hoped that when she mentioned doing what was right for Scotland that meant that she would develop a tailored aproach, not just copy BJ's plan but start it 21 days later.

I had hoped to be able to pop over to see my parents soon but knowing that, despite just 57 new cases being recorded yesterday, in a fortnight's time that is still going to be forbidden (and more than likely at least until nearly July) is extremely disheartening.

Agree entirely.

As an example, surely the Western Isles could come out of lockdown now really. That would be a strategy particular to Scotland, but as you say seems we're just going to do the same as BJ but with a three week delay.

Admittedly when asked she's not ruled out a regional exit, but if it was on the cards at all, I think you'd have heard about it

Edited by Steven W

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's his daughters - WhiteRoseKillie - Rosette, get it? Fairly obvious, I would have thought.

I got it in a oner and some folk on here say I'm daft - go figure

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

My post was in response to someone claiming they were under house arrest. 

Someones house arrest is someone elses salvation

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

As long as the both the hairdresser & the customer wear masks & gloves, there shouldn't be a problem.

But I've got a beard longer than Gabby Hayes and that's the problem.

I usually get a no.1 on top and a no.2 on my beard gha.jpg.513dddfd0d25443c75778ae13e9f1e3c.jpg

41 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Here's hoping!

Nothing to do with covid 19 or social distancing mind

Jeez, I've forgotten the question.

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Agree entirely.

As an example, surely the Western Isles could come out of lockdown now really. That would be a strategy particular to Scotland, but as you say seems we're just going to do the same as BJ but with a three week delay.

Scotland has a unique (in these nations) opportunity where the island population could easily be released from most of the lockdown measures. I'm surprised the SG hasn't gone down this line.

I am emphatically not surprised that the English Government's wee project on the Isle of Wight is turning into a FUBAR. Shame, really, as it's Tory Central, and the electorate lives in the 1950's, when Measles was the big issue.

I would challenge anyone to disagree with this. ‘England, but a bit later’ is really not what I was hoping for after Sturgeon began to deviate last week.

The good news in her announcements today were expanded testing to anyone over 5 with symptoms, and all care home staff appear to be allowed a test whenever they want one, regardless of circumstances. Freeman also committed to June 1st as the beginning of TTI.

Sturgeon also stood in front of the media for nearly two hours today, and will do the same every day this week, and that deserves all the credit it gets. But I really don’t see why the Scottish Government are escaping the brunt of the criticism at the moment, unless we’re saying the Westminster government’s messaging is the only issue.

21 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If you and your parents think it's safe, and you don't brag about it on social media, there's nothing stopping you other than the very unlikely event of a small fine if you get lippy with the polis.

Just now, welshbairn said:

If you and your parents think it's safe, and you don't brag about it on social media, there's nothing stopping you other than the very unlikely event of a small fine if you get lippy with the polis.

Whilst I agree in essence, that isn't really the point

I'd rather we stay in the current lockdown for a couple of weeks, give them more time to properly set up the contact tracing and testing that is needed, then start to ease things. Far better that than say, go back to work if possible, but we've not made any provision for public transport. It remains to be seen if they will start to change the lockdown in different areas, so not sure why people are being critical of that just yet?

Also, good to see that Boris Johnson continues to act like Trump and re-write history.

Edited by s_dog

9 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Agree entirely.

Admittedly when asked she's not ruled out a regional exit, but if it was on the cards at all, I think you'd have heard about it

Outside Stornoway they're probably mostly carrying on as normal already.

26 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

phase one should allow more outdoor activities including sitting in the park, meeting up with someone from another household, golf and fishing, visiting a garden centre or recycling facility and returning to outdoor work

You should be ok to do that then surely?

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Outside Stornoway they're probably mostly carrying on as normal already.

Might well be. I went to Eriskay last year and went to the fantastic pub / restaurant AM Politician. Bonkers that somewhere as remote as that is shut

3 hours ago, s_dog said:

I'd rather we stay in the current lockdown for a couple of weeks, give them more time to properly set up the contact tracing and testing that is needed, then start to ease things.

If this were posted on March 23 then you'd have a decent point. It's May 18 though. They've had more than enough time to both scale up both testing and contact tracing. They've also had more than enough time to develop a more sophisticated public health strategy than blanket lockdown /'we're all in this together' pish despite the virus being in fact very discriminatory indeed in causing serious illness among obvious core morbidity groups. We're also no closer to replacing social distancing with obligatory mask use in public and work spaces despite them being clearly the better option. 

But still, some old biddies might get to the garden centre from ten days' time so who are we to complain.

Edited by vikingTON

Lorry drivers may be among those who can travel between France and the UK without having to go into self-isolation.

Does that include lorry drivers arriving by aeroplane? 

Edited by cyderspaceman

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

They're not policing the current situation much either, so that's an irrelevant point.

Most people do follow the rules, for the most part.

It goes back to the whole collective responsibility thing, rather than expecting the government to completely solve things.

True, and ideally what would happen is that TTI will be in place, and anyone with symptoms will get themselves tested and then those they've been bubbling with too, and those that have to isolate can do so. What is absolutely required is for the TTI infrastructure to be in place before any real lifting of restrictions. I'll be pretty pissed off if NS isn't able to pull that off, although not as pissed off as I'd be being told I need to go to work on public transport in London with f**k all in place apart from crossing your fingers. It's a fucking shambles down there and we better learn the lessons otherwise this has all been completely and utterly pointless. 

It's not ideal, and it's not life like before the lockdown, but it's going to be a while before we reach that stage and we need to accept that

It seems like anything short of inventing a tardis, going back in time and living like we did up till the end of Feb 2020 won't be acceptable to Donathan tbh and he's just looking for issues in any solution that isn't "as you were" 

Edit: posted this before I saw the commentary on the briefing today. Disappointing to say the least if what you guys are saying is true. 

Edited by madwullie

15 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

But I've got a beard longer than Gabby Hayes and that's the problem.

I usually get a no.1 on top and a no.2 on my beard gha.jpg.513dddfd0d25443c75778ae13e9f1e3c.jpg

So have I at the moment. I usually get a nr 1 head and beard.

I am utterly amazed Sturgeon has taken this path. How can you possibly look at the criticism the Tories have been blasted with for the last week and think "yeah, we should do that in a fortnights time".  The Scottish Government had a real chance to show that we can lead ourselves through a crisis and gave us all a glimmer of hope last week when we announced we'd follow our own path but instead we'll be following the same wholly shit and confusing advice that has been roundly criticised by anyone who doesn't read The Mail, whilst not bothering our arse with proper testing and tracing. Fucked it.

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I haven't seen any nurse photos for a while so v v wid QT woman pics or...

Agreed.

Much as I've always loved trig, and algebra, and vectors and stuff,

right now I'm a bit directionless,

and a good nurse pic would go down really well

with my afternoon mug of tea and Hobnob.