Coronavirus (COVID-19)

So things I have learned from the government this week:

The "R" number is all important, unless it's higher than we would like, at which point it becomes unimportant.

Wearing face coverings is an ineffectual way to control the spread of the virus, but now we should wear them in busy places like the public transport that we haven't to use, but do have to use if you need to get to work.

International comparisons are useful, until our body count has outstripped everybody else in which case we can ignore them.

The government "threw a protective ring around care homes". Seriously? To paraphrase Piers Morgan from earlier in the week, infected residents were then catapulted over the protective ring back into homes that were inadequately prepared for them, and have caused thousands of needless deaths.

I guess now Brazil is set to overtake us om deaths caused by the virus, international comparisons will soon be relevant again. 

I know it's an obvious joke, but it highlights the frustration that this whole process is being guided by spin and obfuscation. Like the aim is to make sure the public are as badly informed and as confused as possible, at a time where knowledge can actually save lives 😡 🤬 

That is what the people running the country think of us. We're idiots who need to be kept in the dark. Absolute fucking c***s. 

15 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I really can’t explain the stance from mine.

First of all, told we are essential.

Then told to stay home.

Then small amount of staff go back after a week. Rest are furloughed.

After ten weeks or so I’m phoned and told that myself and a few others are being asked to come back because orders have came in for something that only myself and a few others can do. Now there was already orders for these items because we were working on them. These items are also the most expensive and profitable for the company. When I asked that no advice from the Scottish government has changed I’m told that we were essential all along. So if we were essential that why did we close down for a week to begin with?

Few minutes ago I get the generic weekly email from HR telling me that they are following current advice.

I’m being bullshitted?!

Maybe you are being bullshitted. 

Or, maybe things have changed over those 10 weeks and people who were not essential then are now.  I can imagine the longer this goes on the more people will move between the categories.

Anyhow, up to you to decide if you feel it's safe enough to return.

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I guess now Brazil is set to overtake us om deaths caused by the virus, international comparisons will soon be relevant again. 

I know it's an obvious joke, but it highlights the frustration that this whole process is being guided by spin and obfuscation. Like the aim is to make sure the public are as badly informed and as confused as possible, at a time where knowledge can actually save lives 😡 🤬 

That is what the people running the country think of us. We're idiots who need to be kept in the dark. Absolute fucking c***s. 

In brazil the state governers are defying Bolsonaro's stay open policy and the "bosses" in the favelas are ordering there people to stay at home as it was reported that a 1000 + dead bodies were recovered from one of sao paolos slum dwellings and taken to a mass burial site so the figures from brazil are much higher than whats being reported.It says it all when another health minister has resigned after being in the job for less than a month after the last one resigned because of bolsonaro's stay open policy

3 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

In brazil the state governers are defying Bolsonaro's stay open policy and the "bosses" in the favelas are ordering there people to stay at home as it was reported that a 1000 + dead bodies were recovered from one of sao paolos slum dwellings and taken to a mass burial site so the figures from brazil are much higher than whats being reported.It says it all when another health minister has resigned after being in the job for less than a month after the last one resigned because of bolsonaro's stay open policy

Bolsonaro's losing the plot big time. Think he'd like a military takeover but it's more likely the men in white coats will come for him, or the police.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/jair-bolsonaro-video-cabinet-foul-mouthed

16 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

And just to add to the fun, one of the people being slated to take over as Health Minister is a flat earther.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Bolsonaro's losing the plot big time. Think he'd like a military takeover but it's more likely the men in white coats will come for him, or the police.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/jair-bolsonaro-video-cabinet-foul-mouthed

As most know i used to live and work in Brazil so i skype 3 or 4 times a week with friends down there and they were disappointed that the military actually said they "respect" democracy now 

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

As most know i used to live and work in Brazil so i skype 3 or 4 times a week with friends down there and they were disappointed that the military actually said they "respect" democracy now 

Any good site for the gossip? Was hoping Greenwald might have some juicy stuff but he's too obsessed with getting his own back on Obama's people.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Any good site for the gossip? Was hoping Greenwald might have some juicy stuff but he's too obsessed with getting his own back on Obama's people.

Not really i watch Globo news most days but i get all my info from my friends, 2 of them voted for "Jair" aswell.They openly admit to being sucked in by his promises.

The military quote is nuts.A top general had to go live on tv and deny that they werent going to replace the president 

45 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I pretty much agree with all of that, but quite a lot of people are actually showing that they're idiots who don't benefit at all from useful information.

12 minutes ago, bendan said:

I pretty much agree with all of that, but quite a lot of people are actually showing that they're idiots who don't benefit at all from useful information.

What possible purpose does it serve to have people arguing over whether or not to wear facemasks? This is the kind of conflict they're promoting by not laying out the facts for people to digest. It's ridiculous and I know it's a bit dramatic, but it literally costs lives. 

R rate v important till yesterday when it rose above a certain level and then became unimportant again. All this does is create confusion and arguments between factions, and does absolutely nothing to keep people safe. 

They're so obsessed with how they look it's the single most important thing on their minds. For a very brief second I actually thought Hancock gave a shit about facts and public health, but his revisionism regarding care homes has shown him up to be the arsehole I thought he was in the first place. 

Edited by madwullie

11 minutes ago, madwullie said:

What possible purpose does it serve to have people arguing over whether or not to wear facemasks? This is the kind of conflict they're promoting by not laying out the facts for people to digest. It's ridiculous and I know it's a bit dramatic, but it literally costs lives. 

They're in an awkward position, along with the WHO. If you had tens of millions trying to buy face masks it would have been impossible for front line staff who really need them to get enough, so they said they were useless which they patently aren't, though only of marginal benefit to your ordinary punter. That's why they're still saying we don't need proper face masks, a scarf will do. Maybe the better message from the start would have been to be straight up and say leave them to the frontline staff, they need them more, and shame people into not buying them all up.