Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Both.  It would be unique, and I’d imagine legally challengeable, for legislation to be introduced that would affect an existing contract between two parties.

I don't know the legal niceties but can't two parties to a contract mutually agree to a change?

Edited by cyderspaceman

42 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I see there's talk of allowing airlines to issue vouchers instead of cash refunds. If the vouchers were for flights, redeemable anytime (subject to availability), rather than having a monetary value, I could see that being acceptable to a lot of people but it should be optional.

2 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I don't know the legal niceties but can't two parties to a contract mutually agree to a change?

I’ve reposted you’re original post.  I interpreted the first line as meaning legislating that change, maybe I picked you up wrong. Yes two parties can agree to vary a contract.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Folk have been talking about that basically since it started.

I’ve ordered stuff online in that period and not been advised of it.  ‘Folk have been talking about...” is not really a good way to give advice.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve a similar situation with a package holiday we were meant to be going on in2 weeks time.  We’ve been offered vouchers plus a 20% ‘sweetener’ if we take vouchers rather than a refund.

The 20% will be needed as holidays for next year have already shot up in price.

OK this is where I'm confused. :blink:   I presume your voucher is for a similar package.  Next year as you say will be dearer, so you are getting next year's holiday at a bargain price. Or is it a 'cash value'  voucher?

eta    we can stop this if you like   :)

further eta      of course the company could go bust then  people would be screwed.

Edited by cyderspaceman

2 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

OK this is where I'm confused. :blink:   I presume your voucher is for a similar package.  Next year as you say will be dearer, so you are getting next year's holiday at a bargain price. Or is it a 'cash value'  voucher?

eta    we can stop this if you like   :)

We paid about £2,335. We’re getting a voucher for £2,335 plus another for £467.  We can spend up to the joint amount of £2,802 on any other holiday we book.  If the holiday costs, say, £2,700 we don’t get any extra money back but obviously don’t have to pay extra.  If the holiday costs less than the original amount they will refund the difference.

BTW the original amount is still covered by ATOL if the company goes tits up, but the 20% extra will not be.

Folk have been talking about that basically since it started.

And the amount of the virus remaining is minuscule enough not to pose a danger after a few minutes unless a covid ridden delivery guy has just gobbed on it, especially with cardboard. I just remove the contents, throw the box in recycling and wash my hands. 

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Here’s a fairly recent poll about teacher voting intentions that show you talking shite.

Again.

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-poll-tories-drop-third-teacher-vote

Really not sure why you thought that hard proof that teachers vote for Tories would disprove the notion that the teaching union itself has its fair share of Tories. But then again you are thick and quite probably pished by this stage in the day as well.

And that's before we even consider the degree of shy Tory syndrome that could be found within a body so attached to public virtue signalling as the teaching profession. I bet wee Ruth got a lot more support than that in 2016 and 2017.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

We paid about £2,335. We’re getting a voucher for £2,335 plus another for £467.  We can spend up to the joint amount of £2,802 on any other holiday we book.  If the holiday costs, say, £2,700 we don’t get any extra money back but obviously don’t have to pay extra.  If the holiday costs less than the original amount they will refund the difference.

BTW the original amount is still covered by ATOL if the company goes tits up, but the 20% extra will not be.

Thanks for the clarification. The last bit is comforting to an extent as there may be a few tits going up.

Om my original post I was only thinking about flights.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

And the amount of the virus remaining is minuscule enough not to pose a danger after a few minutes unless a covid ridden delivery guy has just gobbed on it, especially with cardboard. I just remove the contents, throw the box in recycling and wash my hands. 

I've generally always washed my hands after handling packages and letters - I think it stemmed from that Simpsons episode where they all got a disease from some postal order thing.

I've generally always washed my hands after handling packages and letters - I think it stemmed from that Simpsons episode where they all got a disease from some postal order thing.

From China. The Simpsons futurology strikes again.

Edited by cyderspaceman
typo

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

Really not sure why you thought that hard proof that teachers vote for Tories would disprove the notion that the teaching union itself has its fair share of Tories. But then again you are thick and quite probably pished by this stage in the day as well.

And that's before we even consider the degree of shy Tory syndrome that could be found within a body so attached to public virtue signalling as the teaching profession. I bet wee Ruth got a lot more support than that in 2016 and 2017.

Even if I was thick, which I’m not, and even I was pished, which I’m not, I’d make more sense than you, you simpering mewing manchild.

In considering your insults I take comfort from the fact that you have never insulted or been as condescending to anyone to their face in real life the way you do to posters on here.

Edited by Granny Danger

Anyone who takes anything less than a full refund on a holiday is mental. If the travel agents can't afford to pay refunds now how do you think they are going to be able to provide your holiday next year!

Prices will have to go up and you'll end up paying more for the same holiday. And excess holidays will be sold far cheaper through outlets which haven't issued any vouchers. 

Edited by Detournement

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Spoke to a few trade and domestic customers today.  There was a feeling last week that there would be a return to work from the 18th, this does not now seem to be happening.

I reckon early June before we see movement.

Try prunes.

I think it will be later in the summer before things begin to open up and nothing will really be the same until they find a vaccine or other effective way of managing this.

Scottish football starting in July as suggested my MacLennan yesterday is I'm afraid laughable fantasy. They seem to be a bit less in denial down south where no one's expecting fans back in grounds until well into 2021.

Re the flights, we should’ve been in The Canaries in April. Jet2 made contact, offered us the chance of a voucher or a refund. I took the refund. In the bank 48hrs later. 

Our hotel there, even though it has always been explicit about lost deposits before all this kicked off have also been very good and have commuted that across as a12 month voucher (we’ve been many times and will certainly be back so no hardship there). 

Similarly, we had a booking at a certain #perthshire hotel for a significant birthday still a few weeks away where (very large) deposits were non-refundable. Concerned about leisure facilities/bars etc operations that have a significant bearing on your enjoyment, they were wholly understanding. Full amount returned the same day.

I think it comes down to who you deal with. If you’re at the Ryanair/Sports Direct end of the market buying solely on the basis of price you’re going to be pissed about. It’s inevitable. 

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Even if I was thick, which I’m not, and even I was pished, which I’m not, I’d make more sense than you, you simpering mewing manchild.

In considering your insults I take comfort from the fact that you have never insulted or been as condescending to anyone to their face in real life the way you do to posters on here.

^^^ word salad