Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That's the nonsense we'll hear from the geniuses on the right.

The real threat though is deflation. If the government impose even greater austerity it's a cert to happen. 

I'd say the situation is so uncertain we potentially face all kinds of threats. We can't even be sure the food supply chain will hold up this year.

4 minutes ago, bendan said:

I'd say the situation is so uncertain we potentially face all kinds of threats. We can't even be sure the food supply chain will hold up this year.

Sainsbury's ran out of dill the other day. It's starting. 

12 minutes ago, bendan said:

It definitely will hold up. 

There is no crisis on the production side. Essential production never stopped and construction and manufacturing are restarting. 

The issue is a deflationary cycle of reduced demand due to lockdown and potential austerity leading to job losses which then pushes demand further down and so on.

The way to break that is a massive FDR style stimulus funded by the BoE but that would involve the Tories admitting that the economic dogma they have spewed for 40 years is nonsense. That won't happen so we are fucked. 

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It definitely will hold up. 

There is no crisis on the production side. Essential production never stopped and construction and manufacturing are restarting. 

The issue is a deflationary cycle of reduced demand due to lockdown and potential austerity leading to job losses which then pushes demand further down and so on.

The way to break that is a massive FDR style stimulus funded by the BoE but that would involve the Tories admitting that the economic dogma they have spewed for 40 years is nonsense. That won't happen so we are fucked. 

How would you describe the furlough scheme? Mad right-wing dogma?

Spoke to a few trade and domestic customers today.  There was a feeling last week that there would be a return to work from the 18th, this does not now seem to be happening.

I reckon early June before we see movement.

NRS weekly figures are out. Total deaths drop 2and week running. 415 last week. Proportion stays roughly the same between hospital deaths and care homes at 37/57, meaning both dropped in the week 19 data as opposed to week 18 where only the hospital figures dropped. This week, 150 deaths in hospital and 240 in care homes.

6 minutes ago, renton said:

NRS weekly figures are out. Total deaths drop 2and week running. 415 last week. Proportion stays roughly the same between hospital deaths and care homes at 37/57, meaning both dropped in the week 19 data as opposed to week 18 where only the hospital figures dropped. This week, 150 deaths in hospital and 240 in care homes.

Assuming only 0.8% of the population live in care homes then the fatality rate in such homes is 200 times more than outwith these homes.

Surely the r figure in care homes must be vastly different to that outwith care homes and this must skew the overall r figure significantly.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Yup. The ease with which the care home problem could be solved with sick pay and the reluctance of the government to even acknowledge it's the major issue now is a scandal.

Not to mention the fact they seem to have been chucking people back into care homes with no idea whether they were infected or not, at some points while they were actually waiting for a test result. Wt actual f

8 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Not to mention the fact they seem to have been chucking people back into care homes with no idea whether they were infected or not, at some points while they were actually waiting for a test result. Wt actual f

More than 50% of the deaths in Scotland have been in care homes and the majority will have had serious underlying health conditions.

It's time to open up the country again and accept that some people will die.  We can't stop the world for this.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Absolutely loving the notion that the only way to demonstrate your commitment or dedication to a job is being willing to do it for free. An outstanding piece of bootlicking logic.

Slaves must be the most dedicated people ever!

7 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

More than 50% of the deaths in Scotland have been in care homes and the majority will have had serious underlying health conditions.

It's time to open up the country again and accept that some people will die.  We can't stop the world for this.

I'm guessing you're not a frontline NHS worker?

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

where do you suppose the care home workers are getting this virus, and where do you suppose they go after they've finished work?

I get that, but the vast majority of people won't be affected by it.    

16 hours ago, super_carson said:

So you're admitting that you have absolutely no knowledge, qualification or experience to justify your opinion? Do you have any empirical research or evidence to back up your fanciful notion that we're all skiving? 

I don't need to be a trained ICU nurse to know that they've been rather busy over the past few months. By the same token, it doesn't require QTS to know that logging on to Microsoft Teams every day is not in the same ballpark as directly managing the behaviour of two dozen, 14 year old scheme goblins in terms of workload.

Having taught all age ranges and in various distance/classroom settings myself I know which option I'd choose every day, but that experience isn't even necessary for anyone in the general public to reach the same, entirely straightforward conclusion.

15 hours ago, Gaz said:

Things that have happened in this thread:

• I have said that the teachers I know would far rather be in school just now teaching the way we've been trained to teach, rather than this online model we've all switched to;

Erm no, that's not what happened at all. Here is what you actually said when you waded into the thread with your unmistakable EIS hat on:

23 hours ago, Gaz said:

Please don't fall for the spin that teachers are enjoying being at home right now. We're not. We're trained to teach kids, and that's what we want to be doing.

Not 'teachers I know' but rather teachers as a collective profession. So leaving your no doubt ubervirtuous personal colleagues aside, the idea that teachers as a whole are distraught at the idea of not having to babysit the local scheme goblins during third period for another seven weeks of this year before formally clocking off for their holidays anyway remains utterly laughable.

Edited by vikingTON

12 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

I get that, but the vast majority of people won't be affected by it.    

So your argument is basically "I'll be alright..... others may die. But it's a sacrifice i'm willing to make".

Smashing