Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Why? All joking apart, what real benefit would it bring?  

Would it make the science better?  Bring a cure about faster?  Make the graphs look nicer?  

It's the reason we have a rolling 7 day average

It's the reason people calculate the 7day rolling average. I don't think the government provide it.

I'd say the reason to provide proper figures is because you are releasing them daily. If it doesn't matter, then it also doesn't matter if you simply don't release stats at weekends. They could drop the daily briefings.

Will testing and tracing stop at the weekend? You'd hope not. It's supposed to be a national emergency, so demonstrating some kind of 24/7 response seems appropriate to me.

10 minutes ago, bendan said:

It's the reason people calculate the 7day rolling average. I don't think the government provide it.

I'd say the reason to provide proper figures is because you are releasing them daily. If it doesn't matter, then it also doesn't matter if you simply don't release stats at weekends. They could drop the daily briefings.

Will testing and tracing stop at the weekend? You'd hope not. It's supposed to be a national emergency, so demonstrating some kind of 24/7 response seems appropriate to me.

The government provides a 7 day rolling average.

I would  stop the daily briefings over the weekend anyway (which i think they had started to do in Scotland).  If there is no new information, then why have them.  I get the idea right at the start, but it is pretty samey now.  

I'm not sure why testing and tracing are being held up as analogous to statistical reporting?  I wasn't suggesting shutting A&E at the weekend either.  

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Go outside, dont go outside.

It’s too funny, he utterly nails the impression and the mixed signals we are getting from our farcical prime minister. Some morons on twitter are crying that Lucas is making light of the situation which isn’t the case at all here.

Just now, throbber said:

It’s too funny, he utterly nails the impression and the mixed signals we are getting from our farcical prime minister. Some morons on twitter are crying that Lucas is making light of the situation which isn’t the case at all here.

Plot twist, Boris Johnson is just Matt Lucas in a wig doing an impression of Boris Johnson :o

2 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I would  stop the daily briefings over the weekend anyway (which i think they had started to do in Scotland).  If there is no new information, then why have them.  I get the idea right at the start, but it is pretty samey now.  

I'm not sure why testing and tracing are being held up as analogous to statistical reporting?  I wasn't suggesting shutting A&E at the weekend either.  

I'd stop the daily briefings full stop. It's like groundhog day.

The reason case numbers drop on weekends is because fewer tests take place or there's a delay in getting the results back. I'm not sure why that *wouldn't* impact on the effectiveness of tracking efforts.

The UK government have now announced* that we should be wearing 'face coverings' in shops or on public transport. 

*By announced I mean published it within a 60 page technical report which no normal person will read:

Communicating simple messages was the one single thing that Johnson's mob had shown they could do competently prior to this crisis. How have they become so sh*t at that as well?

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

1 minute ago, bendan said:

I'd stop the daily briefings full stop. It's like groundhog day.

The reason case numbers drop on weekends is because fewer tests take place or there's a delay in getting the results back. I'm not sure why that *wouldn't* impact on the effectiveness of tracking efforts.

Are you perhaps mixing up 2 different things here?  My reply was in relation to a post about death recording.

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. Every society has their share of numpties. Remember the odds are still massively in your favour. My dad is 81 and very vulnerable lung wise, and he got through it.

One in every 300 is catching it.   

One in every  2000 is dying from it.   

Would you back a horse at 2,000 /1, or even 300/1? 

One in every 7 who catches it, dies.

Once you've got it, stay away from the bookies.

All figures approximate and open to ridicule.

2 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Are you perhaps mixing up 2 different things here?  My reply was in relation to a post about death recording.

Someone mentioned deaths but the post you replied to was a general one about figures being put out. I was referring to the general inconsistency of the stats, not just deaths.

1 minute ago, cyderspaceman said:

One in every 300 is catching it.   

One in every  2000 is dying from it.   

Would you back a horse at 2,000 /1, or even 300/1? 

One in every 7 who catches it, dies.

Once you've got it, stay away from the bookies.

All figures approximate and open to ridicule.

I think number four can be openly ridiculed.

3 minutes ago, bendan said:

Someone mentioned deaths but the post you replied to was a general one about figures being put out. I was referring to the general inconsistency of the stats, not just deaths.

The one i responded to was responding to one specifically about deaths.

Anyway, confusion cleared up.  I stand by my previous point.  When we have a 7-day rolling average, there is no clinical or scientific need i can see to have the people pulling that data together "in over the weekend".  

If there was a compelling reason for it, we should staff up to report, but I can't see what that is.