Coronavirus (COVID-19)

40 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Example- making no effort to keep any sort of distance.

This is the sort of conduct that you now consider to be 'thinking their mask is like Iron Man's suit' and 'acting like they are invincible' - being within two metres of another human being? It's an arbitrary distance that is only being advised because the clowncar government of the day still believes that wearing face masks goes against the UK's long standing tradishuns and 'culture'.

In reality the person who is doing far more to spread the virus in the scenario above is you by not wearing a mask but shrieking about social distancing as if it is your personal force field against infection.

I was making a fairly trivial observation about my perception of behaviour i've observed recently and not making any wider point but thanks for letting me know what i should think, it is appreciated. 

If you don't like being told why your gormless observations are wrong then an Internet forum really isn't for you.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Edited by vikingTON

I often subconsciously sing along to songs I'm listening to when walking along the street.

It's made me feel like less of a stupid p***k knowing that most people can't see that I'm doing so.

Definite advantages.

It'll also help Shane McGowan's self esteem knowing that he can smile in safety behind a mask and not have folk stare at him because he looks fucking weird now he got his teeth fixed.

24 minutes ago, madwullie said:

When Johnston announced the lockdown was it not the case that the aim was to flatten the curve so the nhs could cope? Clearly it failed in terms of death rate, but when he talked about apparent success that's what he was spinning I thought, that they'd succeeded in flattening the curve / increasing capacity and the nhs had managed to cope. 

I'm really not sure why you think pitching what you've already conceded is a government spin exercise counts as an objective win for the lockdown policy.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

It'll also help Shane McGowan's self esteem knowing that he can smile in safety behind a mask and not have folk stare at him because he looks fucking weird now he got his teeth fixed.

See. Now you're on board. Masks all round!

55 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Unionists / tories gonna be raging she's spilled the beans about what Johnston is going to say tonight. TBF they don't even know what he's going to say so they should be thanking her. 

Boris will surely have thought of this and kept something up his sleeve. 

Guest JTS98

Monacle 24 released a podcast yesterday about the British and American responses to covid-19 which some might find interesting. It's on Spotify and lots of other platforms I'd imagine.

I can't say I agree with the thrust of it, but it'd be interesting to see what others make of it.

Basically, it attempts to blame the problems in the UK and US on British and American attitudes of exceptionalism. 'Foreigners might need to do this, but we can do THAT etc'.

My problem with it is that I think it is a classic example of white liberal racism that, in its eagerness to pin racism on the west, fails to recognise that plenty of other countries around the world have their own myths of exceptionalism and master-race complexes.

For example, I lived in Korea for a few years, and there is simply no country I have ever encountered with a bigger sense of its own exceptionalism. Yet Korea has coped ably with covid-19.

So, I wasn't convinced by the idea, but found it interesting. Anyone else listened?

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

This is the sort of conduct that you now consider to be 'thinking their mask is like Iron Man's suit' and 'acting like they are invincible' being within two metres of another human being? It's an arbitrary distance that is only being advised because the clowncar government of the day still believes that wearing face masks goes against the UK's long standing tradishuns and 'culture'.

In reality the person who is doing far more to spread the virus in the scenario above is you by not wearing a mask but shrieking about social distancing as if it is your personal force field against infection.

If you don't like being told why your gormless observations are wrong then an Internet forum really isn't for you.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Keeping some distance is obviously advisable. The WHO says 1m I believe. 

Obviously masks don't protect your eyes, stop you touching a contaminated surface, stop you contaminating a surface or fully protect against droplets. 

Don't worry about whether the forum is for me or not, sanctimonious condescending wee fannies don't really bother me. 

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Keeping some distance is obviously advisable. The WHO says 1m I believe. 

It's almost as if the 2 metre distance advised by the UK government then is just a back of a fag packet advisory and not an ironclad scientific guarantee of your personal safety. So there's no need for melodramatic shrieking whenever someone comes closer to you for about five seconds of your entire day then.

Obviously masks don't protect your eyes, stop you touching a contaminated surface, stop you contaminating a surface or fully protect against droplets. 

You and a healthy number of idiots seem to think that wearing a mask is meant to protect yourself from infection. The actual purpose is to minimise the chances of you spraying it out to other people, which it does very effectively indeed. Thus making your eye protection and droplets claims redundant.

The other two are covered by basic handwashing practices that absolutely nobody has suggested be replaced with 'just wear a mask' as public health advice. So another swing and a miss there.

Don't worry about whether the forum is for me or not, sanctimonious condescending wee fannies don't really bother me. 

Your increasingly salty tears suggest otherwise champ.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

The attitude of British exceptionalism is absolutely part of why we've got the highest death toll in Europe. It has always been there but, since 2016, it has really taken off.

*Insert "This is why Aliens wont talk to us Gif"* You are correct, we have more mouth breathers than any other Country,  it is particularly prevalent down here in Englandshire because Two World Wars and One World Cup & even more so round here in calm down land because r Derek in Militant Tendencies. This may well point to the fact that extremist arseholes are arseholes no matter if they are left or right.

11 minutes ago, yoda said:

The attitude of British exceptionalism is absolutely part of why we've got the highest death toll in Europe. It has always been there but, since 2016, it has really taken off.

It's more likely to be because we are the least healthy people in Europe. 

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

At the moment yes.

I'm talking about solving this problem in the short term future.

They weigh a fucking ton, far less infrastructure required for more charging points, especially with the charging time required reducing rapidly. Having to stop every 200 odd miles for half an hour wouldn't trouble me at the moment, and that's likely to reduce to 15 minutes every 400 miles the way it's going.

Edited by welshbairn

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

*Insert "This is why Aliens wont talk to us Gif"* You are correct, we have more mouth breathers than any other Country,  it is particularly prevalent down here in Englandshire because Two World Wars and One World Cup & even more so round here in calm down land because r Derek in Militant Tendencies. This may well point to the fact that extremist arseholes are arseholes no matter if they are left or right.

That's definitely not the case.

Go and live somewhere else. You'll see every country has its gammons.

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's almost as if the 2 metre distance advised by the UK government then is just a back of a fag packet advisory and not an ironclad scientific guarantee of your personal safety. So there's no need for melodramatic shrieking whenever someone comes closer to you for about five seconds of your entire day then.

You and a healthy number of idiots seem to think that wearing a mask is meant to protect yourself from infection. The actual purpose is to minimise the chances of you spraying it out to other people, which it does very effectively indeed. Thus making your eye protection and droplets claims redundant.

The other two are covered by basic handwashing practices that absolutely nobody has suggested be replaced with 'just wear a mask' as public health advice. So another swing and a miss there.

Your increasingly salty tears suggest otherwise champ.

Nice implicit admission of your status as a condescending sanctimonious wee fanny there. 

That's all from me.