Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't understand why you would exclude arrivals from Southern Ireland too.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with transit passengers in this case. If you’re based in Europe and trying to get back to Scotland, your two choices are really fly to London or Dublin. Surely the government won’t allow people who transit through Dublin to not quarantine. 

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Probably because there is an open border with the North of the island and wouldn't make sense.  If people could drive here without the quarantine, but would if they fly. 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Deciding we are going to quarantine passengers arriving in the country 7 weeks into a lockdown and after we are officially the worst hit country on Europe and 2 mins worst in the world only behind Trumps America?

C381CFBD-5102-40D8-B51A-4925697D57EA.gif

What's the point of quarantining people coming in when we've got more infection than most of the places they're coming from? Might have been an idea in January. They'd be going straight into lockdown rules anyway.

As a side note, I had to travel back to the UK this week (fantastic timing to move countries), and we did not receive any guidance or advice other than the pilot telling us to follow UK guidance when we land. There was no information given at the airport other than the “stay home save lives” campaign. 
We are allowed to do everything other people are here, despite travelling through international airports etc. We’ve decided to follow the German model of self isolate for 14 days, however the fact this is a choice baffles me. 

Edit: I do get the point above, we’ve come from Germany where things are more relaxed now and therefore quite possibly less risk of infection than those in the UK, but still seems odd. 

Edited by Netan Sansara

8 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I'd be more worried about Weegies coming to Inverness.

3 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

As a side note, I had to travel back to the UK this week (fantastic timing to move countries), and we did not receive any guidance or advice other than the pilot telling us to follow UK guidance when we land. There was no information given at the airport other than the “stay home save lives” campaign. 
We are allowed to do everything other people are here, despite travelling through international airports etc. We’ve decided to follow the German model of self isolate for 14 days, however the fact this is a choice baffles me. 

Here is your answer

EPnIABfUYAA1YJ5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

Edit: I do get the point above, we’ve come from Germany where things are more relaxed now and therefore quite possibly less risk of infection than those in the UK, but still seems odd. 

Which airport did you arrive in? The airports are meant to be issuing advice as are the people checking passports. If you can be bothered write a short note to your MP telling them.

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52587408

1.2 billion people

While back in Europe with 714 million people, the virus has killed 150,000 in 3 months.

It does seem like a figure plucked from someone's arse. And kind of meaningless, anyway, as the indirect effects of this are going to kill vastly more people in Africa through things like increased famine and less control of other diseases like malaria.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Which airport did you arrive in? The airports are meant to be issuing advice as are the people checking passports. If you can be bothered write a short note to your MP telling them.

Stansted. We had no interaction with anyone in the airport, automated passport gate also. Seemed bizarre. 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Deciding we are going to quarantine passengers arriving in the country 7 weeks into a lockdown and after we are officially the worst hit country on Europe and 2 mins worst in the world only behind Trumps America?

C381CFBD-5102-40D8-B51A-4925697D57EA.gif

Testing passengers for COViD19 is a complete waste of time. It's all about blaming foreigners when the government fails to bring the rate of infections down sufficiently quickly.

21 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Probably because there is an open border with the North of the island and wouldn't make sense.  If people could drive here without the quarantine, but would if they fly. 

Not sure that’s the point.  The whole airport/queuing, travelling with other people makes catching the virus en route far more likely imo.

29 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Must be some complication with the Common Travel Area. Even then you would think it is in both countries' interest to do this at the current time even if it technically breaches the CTA. 

Just now, Michael W said:

Must be some complication with the Common Travel Area. Even then you would think it is in both countries' interest to do this at the current time even if it technically breaches the CTA. 

Same problem applies to doing this as with the backstop (remember that?) There's over 300 roads between NI and the ROI. Farms right on the border. It is completely impractical. 

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure that’s the point.  The whole airport/queuing, travelling with other people makes catching the virus en route far more likely imo.

Again the UK is behind other nations, many countries borders are closed and been closed for months.

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Limmy's Vines: That Accent GIF | Gfycatve not seen someone miss the point about life expectancy (hint: infant mortality in poor as f**k countries with shit infrastructure skews it) since Aaron Bastani

There are less than 50m people over 60 in the whole of sub Saharan Africa.

The same figure for the EU is 110m.

And just like infant mortality due to the lack medical treatment skews life expectancy people who are kept alive by complicated cocktails of drugs in the West will lead to higher Covid deaths. 

Edited by Detournement

7 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Again the UK is behind other nations, many countries borders are closed and been closed for months.

You’re preaching to the choir brother. 

Making international comparisons which ignore the huge pre existing differences between nations should be avoided.

There are a lot tweets today comparing Iowa to South Korea in terms of deaths. Not many tweets highlighting that Iowa has 36% obesity and South Korea has 3%!

51 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

Stansted. We had no interaction with anyone in the airport, automated passport gate also. Seemed bizarre. 

Weird, I know Scottish Airports have announcements with advice and signage directing people to the NHS website. Looks like another UKG balls up