Coronavirus (COVID-19)

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Surely clubs can just make people redundant if they still have contracted staff when furlough arrangements end.  Obviously, that's far from ideal and a shame for those concerned. I don't really see why clubs need to go bust here though. 

I'm clearly being simplistic and dim, but I don't entirely buy the idea that loads of clubs will go under.  Incomes have collapsed, but I'd see football clubs as better able than lots of businesses to also slash outgoings.

But not if clubs have to play in empty stadiums.

BJ has put back the lockdown review from tomorrow and announced at PMQs today that he will make a statement to the nation on Sunday re relaxing measures some of which (pretty much out the blue) may happen as quickly as Monday. Hence a collision course with devolved administrations (NS widely expected to announce a 3 week extension tomorrow, interesting to see how she plays it now)
Folk up here will choose to follow the advice from England in that case.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Even more so the junior league or whatever they’re calling themselves these days. What happened to the original rhetoric we had of “no crowds over 500”, this was never because over 500 would mean more corona, it was because it would take emergency services away from hospitals etc, despite most lower league grounds using volunteers or St Andrews ambulances 

Yep. That "no crowds over 500" also didn't involve any social distancing. Now it seems, I believe, social distancing will be here basically until a vaccine is on the go (rendering crowds at football / concerts etc impossible)

53 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

BJ has put back the lockdown review from tomorrow and announced at PMQs today that he will make a statement to the nation on Sunday re relaxing measures some of which (pretty much out the blue) may happen as quickly as Monday. Hence a collision course with devolved administrations (NS widely expected to announce a 3 week extension tomorrow, interesting to see how she plays it now)

Hmm odd. What sort of measures do you think he’ll relax?

42 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd imagine that @Thereisalight.. is the kind of vegetarian who thinks tuna and chicken are ok once in a while. And the odd bacon roll but only at the weekend.

How very dare you! I’m not one of those vegetarians at all 😂 

12 years without chicken 

I suspect so. On my evening exercise walk a member of the local golf club says they have been told that courses may be allowed to reopen from 18th May minus clubhouses. No idea where the club have received that information from but some relaxation like that or fishing would seem reasonable.

Folk up here will choose to follow the advice from England in that case.

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I suspect so. On my evening exercise walk a member of the local golf club says they have been told that courses may be allowed to reopen from 18th May minus clubhouses. No idea where the club have received that information from but some relaxation like that or fishing would seem reasonable.

Not being a member of any local golf club, would these courses simply be open to members of the public to play on if desired? Just take some clubs for a few holes?

17 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It will be a mix of people who follow the news and know the Scottish rules, people who genuinely dont know and follow the UK rules in good but misinformed faith, and people who deliberately ignore ScotGov. 

#3 are the arseholes of the piece, and theres a good chance they make up the majority

Quick question for anyone who is knowledgeable on the furlough scheme.

When this all kicked off, our company didn't apply to join the furlough scheme as we were still running, albeit at a reduced level.

Our 10 staff, became 5, with the other 5 of them opting to go home unpaid for a 'couple of weeks' due to UHC or having someone in their household with an UHC.

A colleague spoke on the phone to one of the staff who is off, and he said he'd be gutted when he has to come back. We know that this person doesn't have a pot to piss in, (so to speak) so after 6 weeks of no work and putting 2+2 together, they must have been furloughed but told to keep it quiet.

My question is, could it be possible for somebody who is still working as normal (i.e myself and the 4 others still at work) to be furloughed by their employer without knowing about it, and would a wage slip show any indication of an employee being furloughed if the company adds the other 20% to make it look like a normal wage is still being paid?

Not sure if anyone has answered this in the subsequent pages but no. It is an employee status change and they need to notify all employees that they plan to furlough and get agreement from said employees

I had to sign an agreement and return it to work and my payslip showed that I was furloughed

Not sure if anyone has answered this in the subsequent pages but no. It is an employee status change and they need to notify all employees that they plan to furlough and get agreement from said employees

Sturgeon extending our lockdown for three weeks will mean zilch if BJ announces immediate measures to relax it down south.  Regardless, i get the feeling that as soon as it's relaxed a wee bit (even being 'allowed' out a few more times a day/for different things) folk will just take it to mean that they can do whatever they want again. Numpties are chomping at the bit to break the current lockdown so as soon as the government give out any sort of signal that it's no longer completely necessary folk will take the piss with it.  

50 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It will be a mix of people who follow the news and know the Scottish rules, people who genuinely dont know and follow the UK rules in good but misinformed faith, and people who deliberately ignore ScotGov. 

#3 are the arseholes of the piece, and theres a good chance they make up the majority

#3 = H"ns

Edited by stuartsmfc

The Scottish Government should demand that any business that reopens against official advice hands back their COVID-19 grant and waive their right to any business rates relief for the next 12 months.

Failing that, an escalation of VT's truncheons to faces policy should be implemented.

I don't think folk's compliance with lockdown will come down to constitutional politics as much as some seem  to suggest. It's easier to think hardcore mega-Unionists are a bigger proportion of the population than they actually are because most of them post on Twitter and news comments 18,000 a day. Those folk would disapprove if Sturgeon personally created a vaccine and yet the polls show the Scottish public overwhelmingly supporting her on this. A fact that is even more remarkable to me as an SNP voter who doesn't think the Scottish Government has done a particularly good job on handling this.

People who want to break it, which will be an increasing number as the weather improves, will and those who don't, won't. I'm sure there will be a few gammons taking to the streets just to stick it to wee Nippy but it will be a #ClapForBoris level of damp squib.

I don't think folk's compliance with lockdown will come down to constitutional politics as much as some seem  to suggest. It's easier to think hardcore mega-Unionists are a bigger proportion of the population than they actually are because most of them post on Twitter and news comments 18,000 a day. Those folk would disapprove if Sturgeon personally created a vaccine and yet the polls show the Scottish public overwhelmingly supporting her on this. A fact that is even more remarkable to me as an SNP voter who doesn't think the Scottish Government has done a particularly good job on handling this.
People who want to break it, which will be an increasing number as the weather improves, will and those who don't, won't. I'm sure there will be a few gammons taking to the streets just to stick it to wee Nippy but it will be a #ClapForBoris level of damp squib.

People who are really politically engaged are always over represented on those sorts of media, from all angles. If you believed what you see on social media then you’d think this country was on the verge of a Lebanese style six way civil war half the time.