Coronavirus (COVID-19)

40 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’m starting to see more and more meme types being posted by people opposing the lockdown. A few weeks ago it was all the “share this if you’ve stayed in your house all weekend” pish. Today quite a few of my FB “friends” posted one along the lines of “if you can’t see that a virus with an 98% survival rate is being used by the government to control you, you’re compliant”, type of thing. It would be nice if there was a middle ground meme! 

Have noticed more of this too. A few local businesses have opened up again near me, and a couple of pals working in very much non essential jobs are expected to go back to work this week. Couple weeks of right wing opinion leaders spouting shite about how we need to get on with our lives etc, and Johnson giving out the feeling that we're well on our way to 'beating' it has led to folk not taking it as seriously. If the lockdown is to be extended by another three weeks, i can see folk just starting to ignore it by the second week.  

Not sure where we stand relative to other nations, but this whole thing has made me realise that the percentage of absolute thickos in Britain is much higher than i thought. Not sure if it's education or whatever but it's astounding how many stupid c***s are taking all their advice from Facebook and WhatsApp, folk i'd previously thought were quite switched on. 

16 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Ask them what the death rate would be if there wasn't a lockdown. 

At one of the press conferences right at the start, the Government said that without locking down the virus would peak in April.

A lockdown would flatten the curve and prolong the outbreak, but push the peak back towards the end of May / Start of June.

The UK peaked around Easter Sunday.

Either the lockdown (which lets face it, isn't really a lockdown) was super effective, or the lockdown was too late in coming in and as a result had a much smaller effect on the spread of the virus than it appears to have had.

The answer to that won't be known until long after the pandemic is over.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The Boris Johnson show looks like a good distraction as well.

I didn't want the stupid bam to die but imagine if some government think tank or some advisor type who he believes everything that is said suggested that a good idea to 'connect' with the public and share their pain would be to catch the virus himself?? Public school boys will always dare each other to do the nuttiest things.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Haven't all the main govt figues had it? PM, Health secretery, Whitty and Cummings. They are out of the woods now so they'll be gung ho in getting the economy up and running and pushing on with Herd immunity.

35 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Have noticed more of this too. A few local businesses have opened up again near me, and a couple of pals working in very much non essential jobs are expected to go back to work this week. Couple weeks of right wing opinion leaders spouting shite about how we need to get on with our lives etc, and Johnson giving out the feeling that we're well on our way to 'beating' it has led to folk not taking it as seriously. If the lockdown is to be extended by another three weeks, i can see folk just starting to ignore it by the second week.  

Not sure where we stand relative to other nations, but this whole thing has made me realise that the percentage of absolute thickos in Britain is much higher than i thought. Not sure if it's education or whatever but it's astounding how many stupid c***s are taking all their advice from Facebook and WhatsApp, folk i'd previously thought were quite switched on. 

Patience is running out, which to be fair there is an inherent risk of after six weeks. 

This is where I think communication has been pretty bad. The government repeats the same phrases every night but has so far not offered any real indications of how we propose to exit the lockdown. The government relies on public trust here, and will lose it very quickly if they don't start telling people how and indeed when we propose to start releasing the lockdown. Telling people that the measures are working and we can't get complacent might be true but it's like listening to a broken record. 

Most people appreciate the government can't be exact about everything, but they need to at least try to start setting a few things out. 

I think we will have another week's extension at least but that's fine if it comes with some detail of what we are going to he doing after that. 

Surely people must see we are being lubbed up for a further extension on Thursday. The very fact the "roadmap out" address to the nation has been put back to Sunday almost certainly confirmed that. Pressure now from teaching and rail unions to not end it too.

3 hours ago, The OP said:

You’re saying that with an agenda and with no qualifications, that’s why I find it irritating to read constantly. I mean ultimately it makes no difference in and of itself but unqualified people deciding they know better than experts is a pretty common problem in various fields and you’re just currently the most obvious example on this thread.

If you find it so irritating then you probably shouldn't have chosen to view the 'General Nonsense' section of a Scottish football forum in the first place.

Looking forward to a similar, bizarre meltdown from you when the football starts and people start slating their team's manager without putting their elite coaching badges on the table first.

Edited by vikingTON

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Surely people must see we are being lubbed up for a further extension on Thursday. The very fact the "roadmap out" address to the nation has been put back to Sunday almost certainly confirmed that. Pressure now from teaching and rail unions to not end it too.

We were being lubed up for that the second the reported deaths were changed to include care homes.

You have to wonder what precautions they were using in this home for so many people to be infected. 29 of 34 patients plus 27 staff.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Death at care home with 56 cases
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-52529893

Bit of a rammy at Tesco this morning, there is always one member of staff checking the queue, and he went inside to get one of the managers. There was a family of 4 in the queue, and it was made clear to them that they would not be allowed in the store as a group. Cue the dad going ballistic, "you can't tell me what to do, you have no authority to stop us all coming in." p***k.

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

If you find it so irritating then you probably shouldn't have chosen to view the 'General Nonsense' forum of a Scottish football forum in the first place.

Looking forward to a similar, bizarre meltdown from you when the football starts and people start slating their team's manager without putting their elite coaching badges on the table first.

If I did that it would probably be the first time anyone on here has ever taken issue with someone’s opinion on the basis that they are clueless about the subject. In fact, no, it goes on thousands of times a season and (as a rule) most football supporters are fairly clueless. Thankfully, football doesn’t really matter so it’s less of an issue if someone dunning krugers their opinion to all and sundry.

The fact you see disagreement with someone’s approach to a subject as a ‘meltdown’ suggests you are a bit sensitive about the fact your own opinions on this carry far less weight or authority than you like to imagine.

Some people might say that the fields of epidemiology, data modelling, behavioural science and public health planning are more difficult to have an amateur stab at than football management or recounting history.

Edited by The OP

You have to wonder what precautions they were using in this home for so many people to be infected. 29 of 34 patients plus 27 staff.

Bit of a rammy at Tesco this morning, there is always one member of staff checking the queue, and he went inside to get one of the managers. There was a family of 4 in the queue, and it was made clear to them that they would not be allowed in the store as a group. Cue the dad going ballistic, "you can't tell me what to do, you have no authority to stop us all coming in." p***k.

Did the manager inform him that he had every right to stop anyone he didnt want from entering his shop? Honestly the things people think they are entitled to are mental.

Did the manager inform him that he had every right to stop anyone he didnt want from entering his shop? Honestly the things people think they are entitled to are mental.
Yep, he was asked to step out of the queue but insisted he was staying, so he was told fair enough, but you won't be allowed in when you get to the front of the queue. 2 kids were under 6 I would think, his missus looked mortified. Didn't see what happened after that as they were 8 or 9 places behind me in the queue.

40 minutes ago, Flatulent Gannet said:

Mrs Gannet was watching Nicola Sturgeon on the lunchtime news, and asked the most important question of the current crisis :

”who has been cutting her hair, if she can get someone to do her hair, why can’t l ?”

She done it herself with a bit of help...

45 minutes ago, Flatulent Gannet said:

Mrs Gannet was watching Nicola Sturgeon on the lunchtime news, and asked the most important question of the current crisis :

”who has been cutting her hair, if she can get someone to do her hair, why can’t l ?”

28,000 plus deaths in the U.K. and that’s her question?

You must be very proud of her.

30 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

One member staff travelled from Skye back to Sutherland at the weekend. 🙄