Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Also, I’m not getting the cynicism for the clap for NHS thing which happens every Thursday at 8pm. The wife and kids lap that up. Seems innocent enough, if ultimately pointless. 

Remember this post when you're next re-reading Orwell.

In recent times, the Two Minute Hate is beginning to seem a logical progression.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If people absorb stuff like this as fact like every other graphic shared on fb and twitter that is where problems would come from.

20200501_100354.jpg

so what that's actually saying is:

Paul Weller is going to infect Alan Partridge

Dawn French is unlikely to infect Jude Law

Zayn Malik is almost definitely not going to infect Kylo Ren

i see...

10 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

E622D8B5-7E50-492D-8A6F-63B1D56BB5A0.jpeg

Reminds me of that children's entertainer/clown called Blue Bear? who got loads of money from Rangers fans thinking they were helping to save the club.

Clearly, from responses on here, the Scottish government advice of ‘maybees aye, maybees naw’ was bang-on the money. Facemasks could be, might be, could be, might be.... I apologise unreservedly to the Scottish government.

You’ve got a real hard-on about this “advice”.
I listened to NS & she really couldn’t have been clearer.
1. The most effective known barrier is social distancing.
2. There’s not enough information to say for certain whether a face covering reduces the risk greatly, however, it won’t increase the risk if you are doing all other things properly - washing hands, distancing, not touching your face etc.

It’s not been made mandatory so make your own mind up, or you could bend the rules by going shopping with your missus.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Reminds me of that children's entertainer/clown called Blue Bear? who got loads of money from Rangers fans thinking they were helping to save the club.

Mister Bluenose, iirc - an early hero of the Banter Years. He did indeed get a load of cash from ra peepul, due to the club(rip) not understanding PayPal* - he also got a shitload of abuse and threats from berrz convinced he was a conman rather than an innocent beneficiary.

*Insert "we arra PayPal" gag here. Or not.

Face masks are clearly of use, otherwise they wouldn't be pretty well universally mandatory in hospitals now. The problem the Government has is starting a public scramble for them which could divert supplies from frontline staff and send the price soaring even more than it already has. The advice seems sensible to me in the circumstances.

The evidence on the use of face coverings is limited, but there may be some benefit in wearing a facial covering when you leave the house and enter enclosed spaces, especially where physical distancing is more difficult and where there is a risk of close contact with multiple people you do not usually meet. Examples include, traveling on public transport or entering a food shop where it is not always possible to maintain a 2 metre distance from another customer. There is no evidence to suggest there might be a benefit outdoors, unless in an unavoidable crowded situation, where there may be some benefit.

As some people can have the virus but experience no symptoms (asymptomatic infection), wearing a face covering in the situations outlined above may provide some level of protection against transmission to other people in close proximity.

By face coverings we do not mean the wearing of a surgical or other medical grade mask but a facial covering of the mouth and nose, that is made of cloth or other textiles and through which you can breathe, for example a scarf.

When applying or removing the covering, it is important that you wash your hands first and avoid touching your face. After each use, you must wash the face covering at 60 degrees centigrade or dispose of safely. Face coverings should not be used for children under the age of two years. 

We are recommending that you consider using face coverings in the limited circumstances described above as a precautionary measure. Given that the evidence of impact on transmission is relatively weak, the public use of facial coverings is not being made mandatory and will not be enforced at this stage. However, we will keep this guidance under ongoing review as we consider any easing of lockdown restrictions in the weeks ahead.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-public-use-of-face-coverings/

I'm not disputing they work. Only that they reduce the risk by 98.5% especially homemade ones.

FWIW I'd happily wear a mask for a bit if it meant we could start to live our lives again. But for that it would need to be mandatory, and I can't see that coming in out of the blue.

I will also bet that he sees himself as "wacky", with a "zany" sense of humour. Everything about him - specs, t-shirt, braces, suit - screams "hey, I'm mad, me!"
an irritating cúnt, in other words. Let's just be happy we can't see what his choice of footwear is like.
@da baracus

33 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

In recent times, the Two Minute Hate is beginning to seem a logical progression.

Unlike yourself and Old Man Danger, I'm pretty sure that nobody else on the forum spends their free time re-reading the same windbag to prepare their next irrelevant hot take.

46 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

They introduce another element into your life. An object that you touch, pick up, have to physically put on. Most people will re-use them, will have them lying on a surface somewhere in their house. You are then trapping any germs on them in your own face / mouth. If wearing one, you may lift it up to speak to someone. Thereby physically touching it again, maybe in a shop, with hands that have been touching trolleys, goods, pressing the buttons on the pay machine. They can be uncomfortable, difficult to breathe with....

The best advice remains to wash your hands, don’t go touching your face, observe social distancing. 

^^^ idiot found

Let's not forget that the current top notch advice of the Scottish and UK government is that if you need to sneeze then make sure you use a hankie or, err, do it against your arm. No wonder they've made a roaring c**t of virus control then when that medieval nonsense and the arbitrary and impractical social distancing protocol are held up as the gold standard of infection control in place of 'just wear a fucking mask or stay fucking inside'.

It's also hardly surprising that you'd think removing a face mask to talk to someone would be reasonable behaviour, given that you already treat picking up a cheap bottle of plonk from the supermarket as a couple's day trip activity. 

43 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Nobody is forcing anyone to go out and clap. There are no repercussions for not going out to clap. If people feel like doing it to show their support for the NHS or whoever else they are doing it for, it seems okay to me. It engenders community spirit.

What I find more disturbing is people on social media criticising MSM for taking the government to task on things like lack of PPE for frontline staff and lack of testing. The ‘this isn’t the time for negativity’ defence for a completely inept government by members of the general public who are being failed by the same inept government  is a worry.

The rallying round some old soldier trotting round his garden on a walking frame make me raise my eyebrows. That’s makes less sense to me than the clappers. I assume this is the poppy people, some of whom are concerning with their antics. 

There’s nowt as queer a folk.

57 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Just to be clear, though - you would be dressed as an adult, yeah?

I’m not even sure where you by a rainbow suit. He probably made his. He’s definitely better at arts and crafts than me.