Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why are the UK not reporting recoveries btw?

Looking at other countries you can see their active cases and some are starting to fall.

Our active cases are just showing as total cases - deaths.

Is it not a case that when a case is registered, the person isn't being hospitalised in the first instance so they may self isolate to begin with and if they recover then there's no system in place for them to call back in and say, I'm fine now?  The only cases that are significant are the ones that phone back saying their symptoms are worse and get carted off to the hospital where the official figures reflect that most will die with few officially recovered but in reality the ones that never make it to hospital will by and large, form part of the recovered statistics.

Some interesting and heartening finds.

In the University Hospital of Ghent, a coronavirus patient in critical condition recovered very quickly after he was given blood plasma from someone who had already recovered from the virus.

A 40-year-old man who was in the intensive care unit of the UZ Ghent, and was briefly on a respirator, recovered from the new coronavirus (Covid-19) after receiving experimental treatment with the blood plasma of another patient who had already recovered from the virus.

“The man in question has a serious disorder in his immune system, which he has known since he was born,” said Bart Lambrecht, professor at UZ Ghent, on Radio 2. “He did not produce any antibodies for the coronavirus, so it was impossible for him to recover on his own,” he added.

His condition only worsened. The virus had been in his body for 25 days, and he had been on a respirator for 14 days, according to Lambrecht. “We thought he would not make it, but then we found something in the literature. In China, they tried treatment with a transfusion of blood plasma from someone who had recovered from the disease before,” he said.

The hospital started looking for a suitable donor, and found one in one of its own doctors.

After administering the plasma, the results were immediately noticeable, according to Lambrecht. “The effect was truly remarkable. Barely two days later, we were able to turn off all respirators. The patient is no longer in the intensive care unit, he is doing better and better,” he added.

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’m renting, we were planning to buy later this year but that’s now on the back burner because of the current situation. My fear now is we’ll be a couple of years before we can realistically think about buying a home.

To balance that there has to be a fair chance of a fall in house prices, along with interest rates staying low.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

To balance that there has to be a fair chance of a fall in house prices, along with interest rates staying low.

House prices will never fall. There will only a decrease in the rate at which they increase now.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I would have thought that.

"Coronavirus means house prices will plummet"

2 hours ago, philpy said:

The people that deserve a slap out of this the most are millenials. Sick of hearing young c***s moaning because they can't get to the pub for dark fruits and jagerbombs, or they can't get out for a "cheeky nandos" or a "maccy dees".  We all have to deal with the the issue of not getting out to do the things we like for a good while,  but we just have to suck it up and get on with it. Aye I'm missing going for a Friday pint, but I can still get beers at the shop. 

Absolute codswallop. It's perfectly acceptable and normal to be upset about losing 6 months/a year out of the best years of your life due to the lockdown.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

House prices will never fall. There will only a decrease in the rate at which they increase now.

Really? Our next door neighbour paid over £100,000 for his bungalow. Would be lucky to get £65,000 odd for it now.

13 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Some interesting and heartening finds.

In the University Hospital of Ghent, a coronavirus patient in critical condition recovered very quickly after he was given blood plasma from someone who had already recovered from the virus.

A 40-year-old man who was in the intensive care unit of the UZ Ghent, and was briefly on a respirator, recovered from the new coronavirus (Covid-19) after receiving experimental treatment with the blood plasma of another patient who had already recovered from the virus.

“The man in question has a serious disorder in his immune system, which he has known since he was born,” said Bart Lambrecht, professor at UZ Ghent, on Radio 2. “He did not produce any antibodies for the coronavirus, so it was impossible for him to recover on his own,” he added.

His condition only worsened. The virus had been in his body for 25 days, and he had been on a respirator for 14 days, according to Lambrecht. “We thought he would not make it, but then we found something in the literature. In China, they tried treatment with a transfusion of blood plasma from someone who had recovered from the disease before,” he said.

The hospital started looking for a suitable donor, and found one in one of its own doctors.

After administering the plasma, the results were immediately noticeable, according to Lambrecht. “The effect was truly remarkable. Barely two days later, we were able to turn off all respirators. The patient is no longer in the intensive care unit, he is doing better and better,” he added.

You have to give these Doc some amount of respect doing the shifts they are doing getting home and reading medical journals on the virus. Basically working and sleeping that's all

I'm off today so decided to do the weekly shop.
So many folk and cars around. Genuinely as busy as it was pre 'lockdown'.

People aren’t taking it as serious as they were in the first few weeks.

My girlfriend went for a food shop yesterday but couldn’t get some things we needed so I’m nipping out once I finish work to get some of the things we couldn’t. I’m fully predicting Morrison’s will be jam packed.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Seems like everyone in dunfermline has decided to go for a shop today at the same time.

Standing at asda for two hours when theres a huge spar or aldi five mins away empty.

Fuckwits

Is it all millennials looking for Dark Fruits?

Very surprised that so many folks seem to be out and about. I'm in Duddingston/ Portobello and other than the usual shops, the streets and roads seem very quiet. 

Although when I read about the madness at Five Guys when it re-opened a take-away service in Fountainbridge I really wonder about what goes on in folks heads. Is it really that important to get a burger? If it is, fair enough - but at least try and keep some sort of distancing. All that's going to happen is there will be a tightening of the restrictions on who can do take away...

20 minutes ago, mizfit said:

People aren’t taking it as serious as they were in the first few weeks.

My girlfriend went for a food shop yesterday but couldn’t get some things we needed so I’m nipping out once I finish work to get some of the things we couldn’t. I’m fully predicting Morrison’s will be jam packed.

Is jam one of the things you need?