Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

My old dad has beaten this fucking thing (he tested positive in the middle of the week but i didn't want to post it up here until he got better).

The c**t's 80 so fair play. He was ill for about 2 weeks and i was getting really worried, mainly because he'd decided he would self-sacrifice because he didn't want to burden the nhs (which was not in any way overrun but he took a lot of convincing).

He then choked pretty bad (a separate thing he's had for the last few years) and when it didn't clear he ended up in a&e at the ayr hospital. It cleared itself before he went to bed on the first night and the next day they wanted to test him for covid due to his other symptoms (which he seemed to be recovering from by that stage). He got home but was phoned and told he had tested positive.

My mum is generally a bit healthier and not as old but she has been ill at the same time as him - with quite mild symptoms that only lasted 3-4 days.

So both of the old b*****ds have dodged a bullet.

I'm 39 and I've always been pretty pragmatic about the prospect of them dying. I've thought about it a reasonable amount, and tried to prepare myself (as much as you can). But I'm not afraid to admit my heart has had a few wee flutters recently. And it's so frustrating not being able to visit.

I've gradually started to give him half a cuddle whenever i visit over the last few years (as we say goodbye). Next time I'm down I'm going for the full on man hug.

Just don't get in the bath with him.

Yes that will work.  The Americans really are fucking morons.   A nation that has recently twice elected George W Bush and are now probably going to elect Donald Trump for a second time.  
That's before we start on their religious nutters claiming a sky fairy will protect them from a virus.
Absolute fuckwits.
200.gif&key=4bbe77b6208ca0867208357fbcb03a879b00336705152206f08bce27ff1a8512
200.gif&key=dae19a3c651f27cfeaa008405289187b60d630a39fa82d43121581d4f00d9297

Trump makes W look like a Stephen Hawking intellect in comparison.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

My old dad has beaten this fucking thing (he tested positive in the middle of the week but i didn't want to post it up here until he got better).

The c**t's 80 so fair play. He was ill for about 2 weeks and i was getting really worried, mainly because he'd decided he would self-sacrifice because he didn't want to burden the nhs (which was not in any way overrun but he took a lot of convincing).

He then choked pretty bad (a separate thing he's had for the last few years) and when it didn't clear he ended up in a&e at the ayr hospital. It cleared itself before he went to bed on the first night and the next day they wanted to test him for covid due to his other symptoms (which he seemed to be recovering from by that stage). He got home but was phoned and told he had tested positive.

My mum is generally a bit healthier and not as old but she has been ill at the same time as him - with quite mild symptoms that only lasted 3-4 days.

So both of the old b*****ds have dodged a bullet.

I'm 39 and I've always been pretty pragmatic about the prospect of them dying. I've thought about it a reasonable amount, and tried to prepare myself (as much as you can). But I'm not afraid to admit my heart has had a few wee flutters recently. And it's so frustrating not being able to visit.

I've gradually started to give him half a cuddle whenever i visit over the last few years (as we say goodbye). Next time I'm down I'm going for the full on man hug.

Shame on you speaking about your parents using that language.

Auld buggers is the way to go.

Edited by Wee Willie

38 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Yes that will work.  The Americans really are fucking morons.   A nation that has recently twice elected George W Bush and are now probably going to elect Donald Trump for a second time.  

That's before we start on their religious nutters claiming a sky fairy will protect them from a virus.

Absolute fuckwits.

donald trump GIF

george w bush dancing GIF

Edit to add Charles Manson gif. 

12 hours ago, dorlomin said:

The number of countries that have complained about either faulty PPE or tests they bought from China has been quite something. 

Outsourcing is stupid and counter productive who knew!

It's like someone complaining they bought a compass off eBay for a fiver then got lost in the hills. 

There was a report on Channel 4 News last night from Turkey, they put technical schools into action producing masks and gowns and essentially commandeered garmet factories and workshops to produce them.  They are now obviously exporting it, case being the planeful that was delivered today to the UK.  Does the UK have those sorts of capacities?  Usually these products are very low cost with low margins, I assume that the production of them is generally focussed on places with lower wage costs but I've not seen any evidence for that.   There have also been issues with getting the correct PPE in Italy and France.  

Also, here's a chart of YouGov responses for what people think are reasonable excuses for being out and how that tallies to the laws

Have Dundee infiltrated the UK Government ???

Stray email meant UK did not join EU scheme - care minister

Care minister Helen Whately says it is "very frustrating" that "an email went astray" meaning the UK did not participate in an EU scheme to source medical equipment.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There was a report on Channel 4 News last night from Turkey, they put technical schools into action producing masks and gowns and essentially commandeered garmet factories and workshops to produce them.  They are now obviously exporting it, case being the planeful that was delivered today to the UK.  Does the UK have those sorts of capacities?  Usually these products are very low cost with low margins, I assume that the production of them is generally focussed on places with lower wage costs but I've not seen any evidence for that.   There have also been issues with getting the correct PPE in Italy and France.  

Also, here's a chart of YouGov responses for what people think are reasonable excuses for being out and how that tallies to the laws

What about buying paint and brushes to redecorate rooms besides the kitchen?

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It's kitchens or nothing.

Edited by ICTChris

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

I don't actually see a problem with this at all and I'm obviously not the only one.

The likes of Tesco are actually encouraging people to buy paint and brushes as they had them positioned at the main door in the "specials" area and were drawing attention to their 5l tins of Johnsons paint reduced to £7.50 per tin. The paint brushes were also positioned alongside and were also on offer.

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I don't actually see a problem with this at all and I'm obviously not the only one.

Same with B&Q.

Order on the app. Drive to the store. Park up. Someone brings a trolley over and leaves.

You empty said trolley and go home.

About as risk free as you can get.

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The likes of Tesco are actually encouraging people to buy paint and brushes as they had them positioned at the main door in the "specials" area and were drawing attention to their 5l tins of Johnsons paint reduced to £7.50 per tin. The paint brushes were also positioned alongside and were also on offer.

My view is that if you're in the supermarket for food anyway then it's not a problem to buy extra items which might not be considered "essential", but that you shouldn't be making a specific journey to buy them. For example, I picked up a reduced PS4 game when I was in Asda a couple of weeks ago - obviously I didn't absolutely need it, but I was in the shop anyway so it wasn't like I was increasing the risk of spreading the disease. However, walking to Asda to specifically buy the game would clearly have been out of order.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

My view is that if you're in the supermarket for food anyway then it's not a problem to buy extra items which might not be considered "essential", but that you shouldn't be making a specific journey to buy them. For example, I picked up a reduced PS4 game when I was in Asda a couple of weeks ago - obviously I didn't absolutely need it, but I was in the shop anyway so it wasn't like I was increasing the risk of spreading the disease. However, walking to Asda to specifically buy the game would clearly have been out of order.

Pretty much this.

The person who visits the supermarket once a week and buys a number of non-essentials during their shop is doing more to help than the person who visits 5 times a week to buy only food.

There's a degree of common sense needs to be applied here.