Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

We do, but it’s not 100% foolproof. 

No vaccine is 100% effective. To make vaccines safer than the disease, the bacteria or virus is killed or weakened (attenuated). For reasons related to the individual, not all vaccinated persons develop immunity. Most routine childhood vaccines are effective for 85% to 95% of recipients

From WHO.

Of course the WHO is a useless, shit organisation that we don't need...  ( just paraphrasing the president of the United States of America.)

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yes they can. Young healthy people can also spread the flu to old folk or those with underlying health conditions and sadly it can kill them. The world doesn’t stop for that 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

4  nights in a row now my moronic neighbours have started a fire in their back garden around this time. Something that shouldn’t be happening according to the emergency services during these covid days

Make your mind up. On one hand life has to go on, in the other your worrying about stretched emergency services.

6 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I can forgive our government making mistakes in a completely unprecedented crisis. I can accept that they might make quite big errors with the best of intentions. It's the fact that they lie and lie and lie that makes me hate them so much. They're incapable of being honest about anything.

Once upon a time people (for example Gove, who lied about this repeatedly on TV) would have had the decency to resign.

Well, that was quick.

EWKLi0pWoAAMYsI?format=jpg&name=large

1606823640_HughAbbot.gif.cee2a3986d98f2eb8c3f655b1c2d4bf9.gif

43 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Make your mind up. On one hand life has to go on, in the other your worrying about stretched emergency services.

Life does have to go on, I was being ironic in regards to the “emergency services being pushed” as that’s the line trotted out for everything. I did read it in the paper though that garden fires were a big no no in the eyes of the police. Also my neighbours are selfish kunts. They’ve never had fires...or been out the back door in years yet now the lockdown is on they’re out there early doors until about midnight having their stinking bonfire 

10 hours ago, peasy23 said:
10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
They are stupid.  Relying on the fundamentals of a document written almost 250 years ago to inform how you should organise your society without taking account of the changes that have happened since then is the definition of stupidity.

As the comedian Jim Jeffries points out, "the right to bear arms" was added at a time when people were still using muskets, not assault rifles and automatic weapons.

The right to bear arms was established when America did not have an army or at least nothing compared to elsewhere.

To get round this every man would have a gun to defend his state against the next state and to defend the new country against any other country.

Absolutely nothing to do with self defence or protecting your property and your family from other individuals.

8 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
10 hours ago, Snafu said:
15m ago 15:42
Covid-19 has created an unexpected outburst of cross-community co-operation across the sectarian divide in Northern Ireland, reports Henry McDonald in Belfast.
The Protestant Orange Order has announced it has bought a substantial quantity of PPE which it will distribute to health staff on both sides of the Irish border.
The Grand Lodge of Ireland - the Order’s ruling body on the island - has said it has purchased tens of thousands of masks, protective gowns and hand sanitiser.
Orange lodges in both Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic have been tasked to distribute the PPE.
3500.jpg?width=300%26quality=85%26auto=format%26fit=max%26s=4ff1206a6d7dfd86edfe4ced2b188d48&key=840a20d2f96f1bb68b3120a8c590567ee554d02ec68b52c4ec67b33c4c1381bc

Edward Stevenson, the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Ireland, said everyone owned “a huge debt of gratitude to all key workers who are working so hard to tackle this dreadful disease.”
The Orange Order has already taken the unusual step of cancelling all its parades and marches including the annual commemoration of the Battle of the Boyne on 12 July in response to the pandemic.
Orangemen however are still making use of the drums they use in the marching season. Some are taking them out to batter during the mass applause and public displays of support for NHS and other key workers every Thursday since the lockdown began.

It's bizarre isn't it? My wife's work has managed to secure a massive load of PPE from somewhere (probably China!) and have chartered a plane to bring it back the the UK. The Orange Order has managed to buy PPE. British companies who normally make other products are saying that they can make it and are actually selling it abroad but the UK Government and their sycophants on social media keep saying that Boris is doing a great job and that the PPE thing can't be their fault because there is a global shortage.

This reminds me of the documentary years ago about governments not being able to logistically get supplies of  medication to some parts of the world.  The documentary looked into  it by following how Coke distributes their produces.  They were going to places in darkest Africa where nobody had medicine but large supplies of Coke to drink.  Message being, it can be done, they just don't know how or don't want to do. Usually the second.

5 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Well, that was quick.

EWKLi0pWoAAMYsI?format=jpg&name=large

1606823640_HughAbbot.gif.cee2a3986d98f2eb8c3f655b1c2d4bf9.gif

Read some decent commentary on that letter by a lawyer on twitter. Essentially the para that begins unfortunately, due to a misunderstanding to him reads as if it has been strangled 5 or 6 times till those words were accepted. Basically saying they're creatively trying to te the truth without making it clear that is was a total f**k up. 

Guest JTS98
On 20/04/2020 at 06:31, pandarilla said:

I'd like to see this discussion play out a bit more (along with the nurses pics).

Every instinct i have says they're has to be long term and very damaging consequences to this. But I'm generally pretty clueless on economics so I'm happy to be persuaded.

What are the main reasons that we can't keep borrowing /printing money? And why do you guys (and a couple of others) think that doesn't need to apply?

I've just finished listening to the latest edition of The David McWilliams Podcast, which contains his views on how to get out of the Covid economic mess.

He quite heavily references the mistakes made post-WWI which led to the depression. It is his view that the Wall Street crash did not have to lead to a depression, lead to WWII etc, and he explains why he thinks countries should borrow their way out of this problem rather than following those same mistakes.

Give it a listen.

Guest JTS98
47 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Read some decent commentary on that letter by a lawyer on twitter. Essentially the para that begins unfortunately, due to a misunderstanding to him reads as if it has been strangled 5 or 6 times till those words were accepted. Basically saying they're creatively trying to te the truth without making it clear that is was a total f**k up. 

It also looks like it's been done in a rush. There's an extra comma after the word 'Committee'. This suggests there was previously another clause in there which has been edited out. The comma has been left there doing nothing but looking confusing.

I wonder what the missing clause said.

Anyone arriving in Australia from overseas is immediately taken to a hotel and placed in quarantine for 14 days.  Anyone arriving in  UK is free to go and do whatever.  Are we really this stupid?  You really could not make this up.

Edited by Hard Graft

2 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Anyone arriving in Australia from overseas is immediately taken to a hotel and placed in quarantine for 14 days.  Anyone arriving in  UK is free to go and do whatever.  Are we really this stupid?  You really could not make this up.

Including flights coming in from New York - the most densely affected area in the world by Covid-19.

We really are that stupid.