Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I said I expected the season to kick off no more than a few weeks late, if late at all.

@Thereisalight.. is the one who mentioned crowds returning to stadiums, and he said September/October for that.

Happy to help.

Playing football in empty stadiums is not sustainable for the majority of clubs in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Playing football in empty stadiums is not sustainable for the majority of clubs in Scotland.

Not having at least TV money coming in even more so.

Not to mention the loss of European money should our clubs be forced to withdraw from next season's competitions.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

image.png.63cf32bf7839e5e47dece4374ea5c886.png

Sweden's light touch lockdown doesn't seem to be resulting in any worse outcomes for them. Wonder who got it right? Time will tell?

1,463 cases per 1m population and 156 deaths per 1m.

UK figures are 1,838 cases per 1m and 243 deaths per 1m.

Scotland's deaths are 167 per 1m 

4 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

Why don’t you ask wee Jeane? Her responsibility not mine. 

Anyway, we independent yet m8?

How about a comment on the wonderful Tory government spreading disinformation and trying to undermine NHS through its own employees?

16 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

Another day, another rage from Meltdown Mullarkey. Is there anyone more perma-raging?

6 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

Yep, definitely you :lol:

14 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Sweden's light touch lockdown doesn't seem to be resulting in any worse outcomes for them. Wonder who got it right? Time will tell?

All the data now show's a clear correlation between age and the likelihood of dying from Covid-19, and also those who have underlying health conditions. There's enough data out there now to see that pattern.

Beyond the next few weeks, there really is little need to keep young, healthy people locked down indefinitely.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1,463 cases per 1m population and 156 deaths per 1m.
UK figures are 1,838 cases per 1m and 243 deaths per 1m.

Hard to really tell now, spain and italy banned exercise and put a full blown curfew in place ( ive barely seen a rozzer here let alone been stopped by one since this started ) yet we didn’t get a much higher surge in deaths than they did with our semi lockdown. I guess we’ll find out in time

Good to see Boris has all this under control, from lying about PPE to using government channels to spread misinformation.
Leading from the front as well. 

What a leader.
So I'll put you as maybe for #clapforboris

This is why people call me a c**t, can't really argue with that, but ffs stop thinking I am a horrible person. Just 'cos I might vote that way sometimes doesn't mean I think the way that others who do, do. If I promise to never be such a fuckwit again, can everyone promise to only bring it up once or twice a day?

2 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
46 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
Good to see Boris has all this under control, from lying about PPE to using government channels to spread misinformation.
Leading from the front as well. 

What a leader.

So I'll put you as maybe for #clapforboris

I'll be out banging my pan later.

(Nice team btw. Bishy Boys we are here woh oh woh oh)

7 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

This is why people call me a c**t, can't really argue with that, but ffs stop thinking I am a horrible person. Just 'cos I might vote that way sometimes doesn't mean I think the way that others who do, do. If I promise to never be such a fuckwit again, can everyone promise to only bring it up once or twice a day?

Are you very sorry for voting tory? 

Do you promise to not ever do it again? 

11 hours ago, bennett said:

What about drills?  can't get mine to charge.

I actually went to make a recommendation for you*, before realising you'd pulled an actual funny out of nowhere. 😀

This lockdown malarkey is changing us all, right enough.

Oh, BTW, I got those clippers and am back to suede-head tidiness. One worry was that, as each swathe of hair hit the deck, the dog scoffed it. That is one weird beast.

*Probably unconscious connection  as I'm trying to source a replacement B&D Scorpion saw, as my neighbour has borked mine.

Trying to figure out what posters are like in real life is a staple of p&b tradition but i don't think there's anyone as obvious as you.

You're the guy with the utterly dreadful patter that thinks it makes you quirky but actually everyone you know either openly hates you or tolerates you in a 'rolls their eyes' kind of way.

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

All the data now show's a clear correlation between age and the likelihood of dying from Covid-19, and also those who have underlying health conditions. There's enough data out there now to see that pattern.

Beyond the next few weeks, there really is little need to keep young, healthy people locked down indefinitely.

Young healthy people can give the disease to the other people.

In terms of new cases per day that is certainly true. At this particular moment. But nothing else. It's an incredibly fluid situation. Three weeks ago we were looking at those high figures across Europe, but we are now starting to see a reduction ourselves from reaching those same 'heights' over the last week. As those countries start to ease restrictions, a realistic timeline for us to potentially mirror those restrictions is about three weeks later.
In terms of cases / deaths per 1m population we are nowhere near the worst. You could argue that the cases figure will be skewed by not testing enough, but not the deaths.
Due to the way we allowed the disease to spread initially, there is a possibility those most susceptible to serious / fatal infections may have already succumbed to them, meaning any future "waves" would be less severe.
I'm not suggesting football be played here in May. I'm talking about football being played here, behind closed doors or otherwise, in 14-17 weeks.
Screenshot_20200421-092937_Opera.thumb.jpg.08d10db13611d3e78776393431d8815b.jpg
Screenshot_20200421-093003_Opera.thumb.jpg.f4def99a55270c99961d5bd06f62b4fc.jpg

The UK death figures can’t really be compared to France or Belgium as they don’t include care home or community deaths. If they did, we’d certainly ‘overtake’ France but probably not Belgium, where the smaller population helps things look extreme. Andorra and San Marino are micro-state anomalies, so suddenly you’re left with Spain and Italy - as you correctly identify we’re a few weeks behind both so let’s see where we land. I’m not sure if their figures include care homes or not to be honest and can’t find anything to confirm either way - if they do, we’re already worse.

On cases per population there are far too many variations around testing numbers for it to be much more than a rough guide, Spain and Italy for example have tested about three times as many people as we have per million. We’d land higher than both if the ratio of test to positive case was maintained.

In terms of ‘normality’ and why I think we’ll be slower than most countries for something like sport, my biggest concern would be testing. Players and coaches are not immune and will need to be tested regularly, and we don’t seem to have the ability to even test those who need it regularly. Contact tracing needs to effectively start from scratch and there’s limited to no sign of that starting right now. And that’s before we get into the stories breaking today of how reliable our testing actually is, away from the major centres which will be almost useless when it comes to community testing and already are for care homes.

Having said all that, 14-17 weeks is the start of August... for closed door football, you could well be right. Maybe, maybe not. All depends how things go with the baby steps of reopening!