Coronavirus (COVID-19)

How would any of that be possible or advisable without our understanding of the virus increasing substantially along with a massive increase in testing? What a load of bollocks.
Genuine question.

How long should this lockdown last if the data never leads to a vaccine or clear treatment, or there's no guaranteed testing strategy.

How long, in your opinion, should we wait?

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Most seem to report that hairdressers will be in the 1st phase af business allowed to reopen. The same articles include the detail that all reopening businesses will require to continue with current social distancing measures. How the hell will that work unless we can find hairdressers with 6ft long arms !!!

As someone who is starting to bear a passing resemblance to Lord Summerisle, I for one will welcome our new clipper-wielding overlords. Six foot arms or no six foot arms.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Papers full of their "secret" reopening plans. Most seem to report that hairdressers will be in the 1st phase af business allowed to reopen. The same articles include the detail that all reopening businesses will require to continue with current social distancing measures. How the hell will that work unless we can find hairdressers with 6ft long arms !!!

I have a hedge trimmer that extends to about 3 metres. Flat tops anyone?

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Genuine question.

How long should this lockdown last if the data never leads to a vaccine or clear treatment, or there's no guaranteed testing strategy.

Until we have an understanding of how many extra deaths we will cause by opening wee shops that sell phone cases. If that takes another 6 months then so be it. I'm not willing to potentially become a biological weapon to get a haircut till we know the risks.

Edited by Marshmallo

1 minute ago, trainspotter said:

As someone who is starting to bear a passing resemblance to Lord Summerisle, 

There must be wickermen needing built in the outlying parts of Scotland (Inverness for example!)to appease the gods and rid us of this plague. Plus you might cop off with a young Britt Ecklund dancing in the scud.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

I can't see a problem with that article.

It clearly points out that the number in the fb/twitter story is fucking miles off.

I'm sorry, but that's fake news.

There is a legitimate criticism to be made of the govt fucking up the eu offer but by blowing it way out of proportion we actually weaken our own argument.

I just watched him being asked by marr on bbc1 and he handled it very well (i presume he's realised he needed a better response). Although i think marr's style helped him out. I really like Andrew marr but fucking hell it's like watching someone be mauled by a kitten.

Gove made legitimate points in defence to the two article details put to him, and did it passionately. The article has clearly got to them.

I've only read the 3 paragraphs posted on here so far but I'll hopefully read the rest later on.
We often forget that up here. We're nowhere near middle England levels but we're also not as left wing and progressive as we'd like to believe.

Just watched the Marr interview with Gove on catchup, and you're right - he did handle Marr's style of questioning almost with contemptuous ease.

It seems to me like once Marr delivers a question, his mind then goes on to the next question - presumably written down on his script. It's as if he's not really taking in the answer.

Sophy Ridge on the other hand,  will listen to the answer she has received, and as often as not her response is to point out that whatever has been said does not answer the question. She'll then repeat the question, very often qualifying it with "Can you answer this with Yes or No?

Sad when you think about some of the heavyweight journalists the BBC have given us over the years, (Remember Paxman with Michael Howard!) Marr couldn't lace these guy's drinks!

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

A hairdresser could wear a face shield and gloves. Sanitise equipment between uses. 

But is a hairdresser likely to want to take the risk, touching dozens of people a day? I'd doubt it, mine closed a week before they were told to.

My daughter in law is a hairdresser, she’s saying for the amount of chairs in the shop and customers that would be in on a day it would be madness 

I'm seeing and hearing a real shift in attitudes towards the lockdown here last few days, I can see all the good that this has done to slow the virus, being undone 

23 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Genuine question.

While you have a point about vaccines. There can easily be a proper testing strategy, look at South Korea. We just don't have the means to implement it yet. Also, everyone will be wearing face masks soon, once we have the supply. Only then can we reopen.

13 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

A hairdresser could wear a face shield and gloves. Sanitise equipment between uses. 

But is a hairdresser likely to want to take the risk, touching dozens of people a day? I'd doubt it, mine closed a week before they were told to.

With the shield steamed up she'd probably end up slicing ears off.

4 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

My daughter in law is a hairdresser, she’s saying for the amount of chairs in the shop and customers that would be in on a day it would be madness

When we first started the lockdown in Belgium, the initial rules were one, person and Hairdresser in the shop at any time. That quickly changed and they all closed due to criticism from the trade unions.

23 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

There are a whole bunch of folk working in essential jobs and putting themselves at risk.  There is no way that people in non-essential jobs should be doing likewise.

Far more non-essential businesses should have been closed during the lockdown.

Looking forward to someone providing me with a scale drawing of how I can fit myself, my desk, 33 pupils, 33 desks, a cupboard, drawers and a shelving unit into a room measuring 8m x 7m while maintaining 2m between everyone at all times.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Looking forward to someone providing me with a scale drawing of how I can fit myself, my desk, 33 pupils, 33 desks, a cupboard, drawers and a shelving unit into a room measuring 8m x 7m while maintaining 2m between everyone at all times.

Have you considered "hope"?

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Have you considered "hope"?

I've tried "Blitz Spirit" and "Stiff Upper Lip" but strangely enough it doesn't seem to have physically made my classroom any larger.