Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Yeah the proposed narrative seems to be that Johnston was using Britain as one big experiment to keep us open for business, the only country in the world to do so, and reap the benefits of it. All this coming from some early February speech he made more or less outlining the above. The world needs a countrt to take off the Clark Kent glasses and stay open for humans to buy and sell, or some other pish along those lines. 

Then he shat the bed when 500k was mentioned and nothing was prepared. 

Dunno how much of it I believe, but some of it would fit. We certainly weren't ready for it despite the warning and time from Italy. 

Edit: this being the pertinent section 

And in that context, we are starting to hear some bizarre autarkic rhetoric, when barriers are going up, and when there is a risk that new diseases such as coronavirus will trigger a panic and a desire for market segregation that go beyond what is medically rational to the point of doing real and unnecessary economic damage, then at that moment humanity needs some government somewhere that is willing at least to make the case powerfully for freedom of exchange, some country ready to take off its Clark Kent spectacles and leap into the phone booth and emerge with its cloak flowing as the supercharged champion, of the right of the populations of the earth to buy and sell freely among each other.

And here in Greenwich in the first week of February 2020, I can tell you in all humility that the UK is ready for that role.

Edited by madwullie

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That old boy has got £23m now. How long before the Record are linking him with a bid for Rangers ace Alfredo Morelos?

With wealth off the radar like that he could buy the club, sorry company, let alone Morelos.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't think anyone believes that.

If the government are given a model which says "500,000 will die" they really are put in a corner.

Hindsight is obviously a wonderful thing, but the Swedish model seems to be a good balance atm. It's a pity that there was no opportunity to observe a similar strategy elsewhere before we had to act.

Just because one model works in one country it doesn't mean it will work in another.

Demographics, population distribution, housing types etc are different in different countries.

Each country has to react and develop strategies based on their circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Does anyone else think Johnson May suddenly resign once this pandemic is over in an attempt to deflect blame?

No, because he's an out and out liar, and wouldn't understand what was meant by acting with honour or any sense of decency.

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Does anyone else think Johnson May suddenly resign once this pandemic is over in an attempt to deflect blame?

No.

1.  According to the poll references I have seen people think the government is doing a splendid job.

2.  He’s an egotistical arsehole and would not be prepared to admit defeat.

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Why would he? The vast, vast majority of the media and population will never hold him to any account.

I've also noticed that The Sun have started posting more and more articles on Facebook (I don't follow them, they come up as Sponsored) about benefit claimants the past few days. Just a coincidence that the Government is getting a bit of criticism, I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Where the f**k is the blonde haired OAP murdering c**t anyway? I though I was ok?

Any time he has to face any difficult questions he's off, first it was a fridge now it's a huge house in the country with his feet up. As if most folk who recover from the virus will need to leave their large town house and garden for a country house and decent estate.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Any time he has to face any difficult questions he's off, first it was a fridge now it's a huge house in the country with his feet up. As if most folk who recover from the virus will need to leave their large town house and garden for a country house and decent estate.

Maybe @Mastermind can enlighten us with our PMs progress on the current situation.

Thats if he’s not too busy masturbating over the queen.

https://archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

Link to entire Sunday times article
Damning stuff
But you know... good old Boris, get Brexit done etc

‘Get coronavirus done!’

30 minutes ago, marty_j said:

https://archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

Link to entire Sunday times article
Damning stuff
But you know... good old Boris, get Brexit done etc

Since you’ve posted it on here too I’ll also post my selections, though everyone should read the whole article.

They told us that, contrary to the official line, Britain was in a poor state of readiness for a pandemic. Emergency stockpiles of PPE had severely dwindled and gone out of date after becoming a low priority in the years of austerity cuts. The training to prepare key workers for a pandemic had been put on hold for two years while contingency planning was diverted to deal with a possible no-deal Brexit.

Several emergency planners and scientists said that the plans to protect the UK in a pandemic had once been a top priority and had been well-funded for a decade following the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001. But then austerity cuts struck. “We were the envy of the world,” the source said, “but pandemic planning became a casualty of the austerity years when there were more pressing needs.”

In the year leading up to the coronavirus outbreak key government committee meetings on pandemic planning were repeatedly “bumped” off the diary to make way for discussions about more pressing issues such as the beds crisis in the NHS. Training for NHS staff with protective equipment and respirators was also neglected, the source alleges.

Members of the government advisory group on pandemics are said to have felt powerless. “They would joke between themselves, ‘Haha let’s hope we don’t get a pandemic,’ because there wasn’t a single area of practice that was being nurtured in order for us to meet basic requirements for pandemic, never mind do it well,” said the source.