Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Regarding the temporary hospitals not being used (the Louisa Jordan) or used sparingly (The Excel Nightingale), I think this is quite interesting.  I remember last month the graphs from the Imperial college model showed ICU beds being completely used up in almost all scenarios.  That doesn't seem to have happened, yet.  We have significant numbers of deaths but not an overrun healthcare system.  

Was the model wrong?

Have we increased ICU capaicty so significantly that we've managed to avoid negative impact?  Is negative impact coming?

What impact has freeing up the ICU beds had on non-Covid patients?  There have been significant increases in non-Covid deaths, is that linked to this?

Could it be that the virus has had a more serious impact on infected people leading them to die, thus freeing up beds to avoid a collapse of the NHS?

40 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t know why this has popped into my head, and I don’t know if it’s been discussed already, but this must be a difficult time for people having affairs outwith their marriage/relationship.

”I’m just going down to the pub/off to the bingo” isn’t cutting it at the moment.

Have any P&Brs had an extra-marital affair during a global pandemic and found the situation difficult?*

* copyright @ICTChris

There was a man in Australia who has been imprisoned for flying from Melbourne to Perth to meet up with his girlfriend.

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

There was a man in Australia who has been imprisoned for flying from Melbourne to Perth to meet up with his girlfriend.

Aye, but I’m thinking about extra marital and equivalent.  

51 minutes ago, Detournement said:

As I said earlier if companies are functioning normally with everyone working from home the reaction will be to work more efficiently in the office. 

In an office environment there are often people working an 8 hour day who don't have 8 hours work to do.

Attention is paid to people who arrive 5 minutes late or leave 5 minutes early.  The easy solution is to pad out the work to ensure you always look busy.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I remember last month the graphs from the Imperial college model showed ICU beds being completely used up in almost all scenarios.

Was the model wrong?

I can't think of any models presented to the UK public that have been close to correct.

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Regarding the temporary hospitals not being used (the Louisa Jordan) or used sparingly (The Excel Nightingale), I think this is quite interesting.  I remember last month the graphs from the Imperial college model showed ICU beds being completely used up in almost all scenarios.  That doesn't seem to have happened, yet.  We have significant numbers of deaths but not an overrun healthcare system.  

Was the model wrong?

Have we increased ICU capaicty so significantly that we've managed to avoid negative impact?  Is negative impact coming?

What impact has freeing up the ICU beds had on non-Covid patients?  There have been significant increases in non-Covid deaths, is that linked to this?

Could it be that the virus has had a more serious impact on infected people leading them to die, thus freeing up beds to avoid a collapse of the NHS?

Given the lack of contingency planning I am happy if we have ‘wasted’ millions on ICU units that we might never need.

Better that than the alternative.

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Are you not too old now to be still thinking about extra marital affairs and equivalent? (whatever that is)

It would have to be quick when Mrs Danger is in Tesco and he's parked outside.

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Was the model wrong?

The new beds might be for phase 2.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I think asking for some forward planning is not unreasonable.  Planning has been in short supply both before and during this crisis.

Yes, some kind of a plan might be useful.  

Make a change from the ongoing daily updates of prevarication, half-truths, stonewalling,  non-answers to reasonable questions, the issue of testing

kicked into the long grass, PPE..., ..... the general incompetence of this government.

Was the model wrong?
Heard today that the Victoria hospital in kirkcaldy has four in ICU who were flown in from shetland. The staff are in a zone where they have to stay and have nothing to do. I'm pleasantly surprised, hope the four recover, I thought that this hospital would be overwhelmed. Went there for a sprained ankle last year and it was like WW3 tbh.
Its fantastic news that these temporary hospitals haven't been used much.