Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Savage Henry said:

We’re certainly being ushered into an extension, despite the inane questioning about exit strategy.

It's amusing how the rhetoric has gone from "we are 2-3 weeks behind Italy etc" to "Others have said this, when will we?" Type questions.

In about 2-3 weeks is the seemingly obvious answer they can't seem to work out for themselves.

Bangkok Bans Booze for 10 days

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1896575/bangkok-bans-alcohol-for-10-days-to-curb-covid-19

We just declared 54 new cases today for the whole country.  Something is not adding. 

They say it;s to stop gatherings.   Shops were full of folk  buying booze......

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

We’re certainly being prepared for an extension, despite the inane questioning about exit strategy.

I think the government are about the only people in the UK that doesn’t think we know there will be an extension. It’s the most obvious decision ever.

OK, I'm more confused than normal. From BBC

England reports 765 new coronavirus deaths

NHS England has recorded 765 new deaths in hospital from coronavirus.
It said that 140 of them occurred yesterday, while 568 took place between 1 April and 7 April.
The remaining 57 deaths took place in March, including two on 19 March and one on 16 March.

I thought we got stats for a 24 hour period? These are just hospital ones, they're not adding in any home deaths, still waiting for ONS for that.

Jesus, I am no fan of Dominic Raab but why keep asking him about the “extent of his authority”? Do they actually think that anyone at that level takes decisions on their own? Johnson certainly won’t. It’s nearly always an agreed strategy by a number of people. f**k Sake. 

Bonus is that Laura K isn’t asking idiotic questions this evening. 

Just now, Jambomo said:

Jesus, I am no fan of Dominic Raab but why keep asking him about the “extent of his authority”? Do they actually think that anyone at that level takes decisions on their own? Johnson certainly won’t. It’s nearly always an agreed strategy by a number of people. f**k Sake. 

Bonus is that Laura K isn’t asking idiotic questions this evening. 

"I don't have any. We've stopped doing anything because we're not allowed to work without Boris"

8 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

OK, I'm more confused than normal. From BBC

England reports 765 new coronavirus deaths

NHS England has recorded 765 new deaths in hospital from coronavirus.
It said that 140 of them occurred yesterday, while 568 took place between 1 April and 7 April.
The remaining 57 deaths took place in March, including two on 19 March and one on 16 March.

I thought we got stats for a 24 hour period? These are just hospital ones, they're not adding in any home deaths, still waiting for ONS for that.

Some will always be in arrears - it takes time to get the reports in.

But that figure of 140 for yesterday seems exceedingly low.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Because for whatever reason news outlets are still sending political correspondents to these briefings instead of health/science ones and so they are just asking about the inconsequential soap opera shite that political correspondents get excited about.

Actually there’s a bit of a change there, yesterday ITV sent their Science editor and the BBC guy tonight was the health editor. Hopefully they’ll keep it that way.

Because for whatever reason news outlets are still sending political correspondents to these briefings instead of health/science ones and so they are just asking about the inconsequential soap opera shite that political correspondents get excited about.

Right. And journalism doesn’t exactly attract the finest minds of our generation. So it’s a double whammy.

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Actually there’s a bit of a change there, yesterday ITV sent their Science editor and the BBC guy tonight was the health editor. Hopefully they’ll keep it that way.

how do you get to be science editor for ITV - make some raisins go up and down in a glass of fizzy lemon ?