Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I had someone earlier (who isn't a UK citizen) tell me that the lockdown only technically applies to British citizens and there's actually a loophole where it doesn't technically apply to foreigners.  I thought that sounded like nonsense, but surely that's not true.

21 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

When you say “in lockdown until at least the start of June” I assume you mean all non-essential businesses being closed until then.  If you do I think you’re wrong.

What businesses do you think will be open? 

4 hours ago, woolf said:

Gallons of water mate 👍
Been there and feel your pain,try stay calm as most likely it’ll pass in a few days.Best of luck.

Thanks, mate. At this stage, I go between thinking I've definitely got it and not being too sure. Were there moments when the early symptoms seemed to come and go, or was it pretty consistent for you? My temperature and lethargy disappeared yesterday (Day 2) during the day, before returning at night. They remained with me for much of today and now seem to have disappeared once again.

Just now, yoda said:

What businesses do you think will be open? 

I don’t know, I was asking you a question.

My point is that there is only so long that businesses can remain closed before the impact on the economy causes irreparable damage.  The payment of wages for furloughed workers will go a fair bit of the way to ameliorating the financial impact on businesses but wage costs are only a part of a businesses’ costs.  

If businesses start to fold people will lose their jobs, it is already being reported that if this happens it will impact most severely on people who are already on low incomes and in insecure employment.

I am not arguing for the lockdown to be lifted, but it is a fact that there will be an economic tipping point that will become part of the equation.

21 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Thanks, mate. At this stage, I go between thinking I've definitely got it and not being too sure. Were there moments when the early symptoms seemed to come and go, or was it pretty consistent for you? My temperature and lethargy disappeared yesterday (Day 2) during the day, before returning at night. They remained with me for much of today and now seem to have disappeared once again.

I had what you've described to the letter a few weeks ago. The symptoms being kind of on and off (well always there but really ranging in severity) and it only lasting for three or four days made me think it wasn't Covid at the time. A few other folk I know had the same thing, so at the very least it was some kind of fluey thing going around. I also had a loss of taste, which I don't ever remember getting before and seems to be talked about with Covid, so f**k knows.

Anyway, get better soon 👍

49 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t know, I was asking you a question.

My point is that there is only so long that businesses can remain closed before the impact on the economy causes irreparable damage.  The payment of wages for furloughed workers will go a fair bit of the way to ameliorating the financial impact on businesses but wage costs are only a part of a businesses’ costs.  

If businesses start to fold people will lose their jobs, it is already being reported that if this happens it will impact most severely on people who are already on low incomes and in insecure employment.

I am not arguing for the lockdown to be lifted, but it is a fact that there will be an economic tipping point that will become part of the equation.

The majority of economists (according to the FT) think that lifting the lockdown too soon will cause more damage than keeping it in place. The government has stepped up to the plate but it needs to keep at it: it needs to be employer and consumer of last resort. There's a magic money tree and they need to use it. 

I know that there's only so long businesses can remain closed, but there's an uncomfortable trade-off that needs to be made until the infection and virus is under control. Job losses are going to happen, it sounds callous but it's the reality of the situation. I say that as someone who is effectively unemployed and will be signing on to the dole as soon as he can.

Some restrictions will probably be lifted come the summer. And perhaps some businesses will be allowed to reopen. However, and this is what my initial post alluded to, we're not going to be back to a pre-March way of life. Lockdown restrictions will be in place, and any rollback will be barely noticeable for most of us.

I've posted this before but I'll post it again; the message is a bit melodramatic but the point stands.

Edited by yoda

The first case of this virus was reported in Wuhan on 1st January. 
There's no possibility that this existed in Scotland earlier than that, no matter how ill people were. 

First case was reported on 17th November (retrospectively) and was already causing enough of an issue for China to report the unknown disease to WHO late December, hence why it is COVID-19 and not 20.

Your point still stands though, it did not exist in Scotland prior. There is enough data to track the general spread and absurd people still say they have had it prior to mid/late January.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

@Todd_is_God Said the football season would start back In August with stadiums packed full.

I said the football season will start in August. At this moment in time I don't see why that's outrageously unrealistic.

Everyone is still in the doom and gloom stage as deaths haven't quite peaked yet. They will soon. Then they will start to fall and we can have a realistic plan to ease restrictions gradually, without the emotion of "omg this will never end"

We'll also have data from other european nations about the impact of relaxing restrictions there to see if there are any learns.

I said previously there should be no need to treat the UK as one in 5 or 6 weeks. If Scotland, for example, has turned the corner and is nearing single digit new cases / deaths by then it makes no sense to keep everyone here cooped up because London, for example is still getting pounded.

The problem is everyone wants answers to everything *now*. We know the likely pattern of new cases / deaths from what's happened elsewhere. Expect that here.

All we know for sure is nothing is going to change this month.

Sit back, have a coffee, watch tv and just wait and see what the lie of the land looks like in a month.

7 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

First case was reported on 17th November (retrospectively) and was already causing enough of an issue for China to report the unknown disease to WHO late December, hence why it is COVID-19 and not 20.

Your point still stands though, it did not exist in Scotland prior. There is enough data to track the general spread and absurd people still say they have had it prior to mid/late January.

What’s to say this isn’t possible - people were in Wuhan late Nov/early Dec, had symptoms of this “new flu type”, flew over to the UK (or back to the UK) and thus started the spread here in Jan

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I said the football season will start in August. At this moment in time I don't see why that's outrageously unrealistic.

Everyone is still in the doom and gloom stage as deaths haven't quite peaked yet. They will soon. Then they will start to fall and we can have a realistic plan to ease restrictions gradually, without the emotion of "omg this will never end"

We'll also have data from other european nations about the impact of relaxing restrictions there to see if there are any learns.

I said previously there should be no need to treat the UK as one in 5 or 6 weeks. If Scotland, for example, has turned the corner and is nearing single digit new cases / deaths by then it makes no sense to keep everyone here cooped up because London, for example is still getting pounded.

The problem is everyone wants answers to everything *now*. We know the likely pattern of new cases / deaths from what's happened elsewhere. Expect that here.

Sit back, have a coffee, watch tv and just wait and see what the lie of the land looks like in a month.

Seems we’re the only two on here who don’t think “omg nothing will be the same until 2021, no football matches, no gigs, no pubs until then!”

Edited by Thereisalight..

37 minutes ago, yoda said:

The majority of economists (according to the FT) think that lifting the lockdown too soon will cause more damage than keeping it in place. The government has stepped up to the plate but it needs to keep at it: it needs to be employer and consumer of last resort. There's a magic money tree and they need to use it. 

I know that there's only so long businesses can remain closed, but there's an uncomfortable trade-off that needs to be made until the infection and virus is under control. Job losses are going to happen, it sounds callous but it's the reality of the situation. I say that as someone who is effectively unemployed and will be signing on to the dole as soon as he can.

Some restrictions will probably be lifted come the summer. And perhaps some businesses will be allowed to reopen. However, and this is what my initial post alluded to, we're not going to be back to a pre-March way of life. Lockdown restrictions will be in place, and any rollback will be barely noticeable for most of us.

I've posted this before but I'll post it again; the message is a bit melodramatic but the point stands.

Might become one of those people who demand we keep sacrificing people at the altar of the economy like it's a mystical deity. Like a modern day Aztec.

Edited by NotThePars

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

What’s to say this isn’t possible - people were in Wuhan late Nov/early Dec, had symptoms of this “new flu type”, flew over to the UK (or back to the UK) and thus started the spread here in Jan

It's so contagious that if it started spreading here then then people would have  been dropping like flies, the NHS would have been overwhelmed, etc etc. Essentially, about 6 weeks ago would have looked like what it looks like now. 

Edited by madwullie

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

You would need to stop all travel into Scotland.