Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The growth in “I hope they die” reactions to politics is quite interesting, it would be a good thing to study. The growth of anonymous internet communications is a major factor in it becoming so prevalent but there’s other factors as well. A demographic breakdown would be interesting, the feeling from looking at t is that there’s a split between angry self-absorbed boomers and extremely online socially awkward 20 somethings.

It seems more prominent on the left than the right but actual violence would be a lot more likely from the right. A person saying they want you to die on Twitter night tend to be a leftie but a rightie is more likely to actually attack you or worse.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

The growth in “I hope they die” reactions to politics is quite interesting, it would be a good thing to study. The growth of anonymous internet communications is a major factor in it becoming so prevalent but there’s other factors as well. A demographic breakdown would be interesting, the feeling from looking at t is that there’s a split between angry self-absorbed boomers and extremely online socially awkward 20 somethings.

It seems more prominent on the left than the right but actual violence would be a lot more likely from the right. A person saying they want you to die on Twitter night tend to be a leftie but a rightie is more likely to actually attack you or worse.

It’s a bi-product of binary politics. No room for discussion so it’s all out love/hate.

9 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

He's a fellow human being, a flawed one like the rest of us. A buffoon and a chancer, in my opinion. But a fellow human being. 

Best wishes to him and the thousands of others across the world in a similar predicament tonight. There, but for the grace of...

There is no...

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Much of it is throwaway comments like saying to someone "aw f**k off and die", they don't genuinely hope or mean literally that they want the person to physically die. For the avoidance of doubt, I detest Johnson, his politics and ideology but I'd never seriously "want him to die".

Thatcher would have been another matter entirely however......

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't think it's grown. We all wished Thatcher dead throughout the 80s. 

51 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Concerns that people who are self-isolating are leaving it too late to seek help if their condition worsens.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/06/fears-britons-self-isolating-covid-19-seek-help-too-late

That wouldn't come as a surprise at all. People are being told to stay at home if they have symptoms but I haven't seen much in the way of guidance around what the trigger points should be for getting yourself tested or into hospital. It may be out there but it's not exactly prominent if a VL like me who lives his life through the internet isn't aware of it.

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

You should look at the replies to someone like David Lammy.