Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Amidst all the death, all the suffering, the isolation and the crushing loneliness that can accompany it, undoubtedly the worst thing to emerge from this crisis is the proliferation of the phrase 'stir crazy'. 

I mean, just what the f**k is that about?

it's a good film.

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I imagine so. It's a pretty popular pastime in the Mediterranean countries too. Possibly hence the high death tolls in Italy and Spain

Based on purely personal experience from holidays, smoking is more widespread in Spain than here.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

There has been some comment that higher smoking rates in China and Italy contributed to deaths there. Older men in China have high smoking rates. I can’t remember who said it but I heard on a podcast that smoking might directly affect the cells that the virus binds to in the lungs, making smokers uniquely vulnerable.

As with almost everything though we really don’t know.

We don’t know, but we can take an educated guess.

Pish.  They could close all non-essential businesses like building sites.  That would have a significant impact in reducing social contact.  They should have done it two weeks ago, it can still be done now.
Are they not closed? Thought they were, personally my company tried to squirm until they realised it wasn't possible to maintain distancing.
Previous to now their advice and ideas were scandalous though but I wouldn't say they were lying, just badly informed or creating more problems by lack of clear instructions.

Back when China went into lockdown every country should have sprung into action but clearly economy and money counts. Its not just the government but the way business is run by sociopaths that is also the problem.

Shutting down the country two weeks earlier and testing and contact tracing would have seen infections drop by 90%.
Economy though.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

Are they not closed? Thought they were, personally my company tried to squirm until they realised it wasn't possible to maintain distancing.
Previous to now their advice and ideas were scandalous though but I wouldn't say they were lying, just badly informed or creating more problems by lack of clear instructions.

Back when China went into lockdown every country should have sprung into action but clearly economy and money counts. Its not just the government but the way business is run by sociopaths that is also the problem.

Shutting down the country two weeks earlier and testing and contact tracing would have seen infections drop by 90%.
Economy though.

Building sites still open.  Builders Merchants in England closed and were told they should reopen.

Builders merchant near my work closed but a plant hire place still open.

Building sites still open.  Builders Merchants in England closed and were told they should reopen.
Builders merchant near my work closed but a plant hire place still open.
That's daft. All the building sites are closed near me.
I guess some need to stay open for crucial stuff but it's not as if we are physically building new hospitals just converting buildings. Not a lot of actual materials needed for that?

Building sites should be closed with exceptions:

• creatine / repurposing facilities for the Covid-19 response, such as accommodating key workers
  • essential public services
  • maintenance of critical infrastructure

Suspect there'll be quite a few jumped-up small construction company owners convinced that what they're doing falls under one of the above categories when it clearly doesn't, and hence will order their business to stay open.

5 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Ya bassa. One of my back catalogue that I was intending drip feeding into the system at some future date to help save some lives!! 

apologies - but on the upside, you'll now have to scour the darkest and most pert corners of the internet to find a replacement, for hours on end....

3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I know what its about, right now the lockdown looks to be doing it’s job, my point is about those who think it will be carrying on past June July or later “ becuase lives” and why they’re talking pish

Well I don’t think our government really cares about a few old people dying but I think you are way off the mark with your original post about calculating the risk of people dying v the effects of the economy and comparing it to road traffic accidents and the practicality off shutting down all roads in case someone has an accident. 

You just seem to be largely misinformed about the very basics of the virus and why we are in lockdown in the first place, it’s not just you of course I see comments like this all the time.

We might not be in full lockdown by June/July but things won’t be anywhere near getting back to “normal” I think construction will start back again by then with as much social distancing as possible and with people still working from home where possible, then other places of work opening up in the following months depending on how the infection rate is going. schools will be one of the last places to reopen as well as pubs and i don’t think we’ll see crowds inside a football stadium in Britain again in 2020.

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I never thought I'd say this but I'm actually quite enjoying being back at work and actually having a chat with people again (while social distancing obviously).

What we did think was quite amusing was that 6 of us were just chatting away to each other at our desks and noted that if we did this outside we'd be pulled by the Polis. One of the girls also commented that she thought it really surreal that she could sit talking with all of us at work but had to speak out the window to her sister on her birthday because they couldn't come into contact with each other being from a different household.

It's when you break it down like that it does seem pretty bloody bizarre and also rather pointless, as at least She knows where her sisters been and what she's been getting up to but as for all of us, well ??????

It can't be the first time police involvement has been mentioned when you are in proximity to women.