Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I never thought I'd say this but I'm actually quite enjoying being back at work and actually having a chat with people again (while social distancing obviously).

What we did think was quite amusing was that 6 of us were just chatting away to each other at our desks and noted that if we did this outside we'd be pulled by the Polis. One of the girls also commented that she thought it really surreal that she could sit talking with all of us at work but had to speak out the window to her sister on her birthday because they couldn't come into contact with each other being from a different household.

It's when you break it down like that it does seem pretty bloody bizarre and also rather pointless, as at least She knows where her sisters been and what she's been getting up to but as for all of us, well ??????

Sounds like she's wanting pumped mate 💪 

Just had a horrible thought.
When all this is over, we’re going to end up with a shitey concert fronted by c***s like Bono, Geldof and Martin.
Think positive man. I was in Toronto in 2003 and, for the princely sum of 20 Canadian bucks, got to go to the benefit gig headed up by the rolling stones, acdc, flaming lips, rush and other quality acts.

If we end up with anything featuring coldplay and u2 I'll wish I had died of the virus.

Think positive man. I was in Toronto in 2003 and, for the princely sum of 20 Canadian bucks, got to go to the benefit gig headed up by the rolling stones, acdc, flaming lips, rush and other quality acts.

If we end up with anything featuring coldplay and u2 I'll wish I had died of the virus.

I’m hoping for Cliff Richard and the Young Ones again.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

A power of wanking. And some work. Actually was quite last week with some final year stuff.

Presumably you've seen the email as well? I'd imagine they'll look at doing it for most folk under a certain grade, so you'll be fine since you must be a grade 70 or something.

Saw it earlier.

52 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

CD681ADA-4AF5-4768-8527-FB0A4EC6C930.jpeg.88123cf5dd9412def14862ff85675c3c.jpeg

I’d happily be outside clapping for that every night at 8.

Raab saying the government “is doing everything it can” to stop the spread of the virus.  There’s a lie right there.
Not really, they've messed up big time but now are making the best of it.
Need to start answering about testing and what we are doing about it.
I suspect theres loads of scrambling around behind the scenes.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Not really, they've messed up big time but now are making the best of it.
Need to start answering about testing and what we are doing about it.
I suspect theres loads of scrambling around behind the scenes.

Pish.  They could close all non-essential businesses like building sites.  That would have a significant impact in reducing social contact.  They should have done it two weeks ago, it can still be done now.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Raab saying the government “is doing everything it can” to stop the spread of the virus.  There’s a lie right there.

Yep. 

Also (I believe) he said something about tobacco industry to stop producing, and people should stop smoking.

I wonder how many of those that have died are smokers / former smokers? 

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

Yep. 

Also (I believe) he said something about tobacco industry to stop producing, and people should stop smoking.

I wonder how many of those that have died are smokers / former smokers? 

I’d imagine a very significant number.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Pish.  They could close all non-essential businesses like building sites.  That would have a significant impact in reducing social contact.  They should have done it two weeks ago, it can still be done now.

Building sites in Scotland shut. In turn suppliers had no choice other than to follow suit. Result = far more people at home.

Don't think the UK government took the same stance, and I'd thus imagine far more businesses open down there, equalling more people about than there need be

There has been some comment that higher smoking rates in China and Italy contributed to deaths there. Older men in China have high smoking rates. I can’t remember who said it but I heard on a podcast that smoking might directly affect the cells that the virus binds to in the lungs, making smokers uniquely vulnerable.

As with almost everything though we really don’t know.

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

I think just by age that’d skew the figures.  

Definitely.  Nonetheless smoking over a period of time, regardless of age, is bound to have an impact when faced with a disease that attacks the lungs.