Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:
This is where I am with it. This is hard for everyone. Going on about how hard it is, or about how 'unfair' it is, or about how much you want it to be over does nobody any good.
We are where we are and just need to make the best of it. Read a book you've been meaning to read, watch a film you've been meaning to watch, do some exercise, cook something new, call your pal that you haven't spoken to for ages, play your guitar, whatever, just get on with it.
This time is going to pass regardless of your attitude to it, so you might as well do the best with it that you can. Moaning about it is fucking pointless.

That's dangerously close to "suck it up" type advice, which probably doesnt help the general requirement for people to open up more in terms of mental health.

No, not at all.

There's a difference between speaking to people about a genuine issue you've got an asking for support, and just moaning about not being able to live life normally.

Everybody wishes this was different. Pointing out that it's shite repeatedly is a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Of course people should lean on those around them, and we all do to an extent, but continuing to focus on the negatives of this is not helpful and will just make you feel worse.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:
This is where I am with it. This is hard for everyone. Going on about how hard it is, or about how 'unfair' it is, or about how much you want it to be over does nobody any good.
We are where we are and just need to make the best of it. Read a book you've been meaning to read, watch a film you've been meaning to watch, do some exercise, cook something new, call your pal that you haven't spoken to for ages, play your guitar, whatever, just get on with it.
This time is going to pass regardless of your attitude to it, so you might as well do the best with it that you can. Moaning about it is fucking pointless.

That's dangerously close to "suck it up" type advice, which probably doesnt help the general requirement for people to open up more in terms of mental health.

THis.  Lots of folk are used to  (and indeed need) their day structured for them.  To suddenly go to having to structure your own day when your motivation is rock bottom is not an easy thing to do.  Take my missus for example (a notorious mentalist),  i offered to give her a day off from schooling the bairn the other day thinking she would appreciate just sitting reading or watching the telly.  But no, I should "f**k off, do your work and let me get on with my structured day".  Charming.

Anyway, Im structuring my day around Alert Mongoose and today is not a fucking good day.    <<<seething

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

And that's because the people reporting the numbers don't work the weekend (or so I believe). Quite staggering really, at a time of national emergency, that our reporting of these crucial numbers goes all off kilter for a few days each week, cause its the weekend.

There's just one guy who knows the spreadsheet password and he's not sharing it unless he gets his share of the overtime.

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Pointing out that it's shite repeatedly is a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

...continuing to focus on the negatives of this is not helpful and will just make you feel worse.

You should be a psychiatrist.  You'd make a fortune. 

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

And that's because the people reporting the numbers don't work the weekend (or so I believe). Quite staggering really, at a time of national emergency, that our reporting of these crucial numbers goes all off kilter for a few days each week, cause its the weekend.

That's generally how health services work in Scotland. We spend shitloads on expensive equipment then only run it Mon to Fri 9 to 5.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

THis.  Lots of folk are used to  (and indeed need) their day structured for them.  To suddenly go to having to structure your own day when your motivation is rock bottom is not an easy thing to do.  Take my missus for example (a notorious mentalist),  i offered to give her a day off from schooling the bairn the other day thinking she would appreciate just sitting reading or watching the telly.  But no, I should "f**k off, do your work and let me get on with my structured day".  Charming.

Anyway, Im structuring my day around Alert Mongoose and today is not a fucking good day.    <<<seething

Absolutely nobody is disputing that.

No, not at all.
There's a difference between speaking to people about a genuine issue you've got an asking for support, and just moaning about not being able to live life normally.
Everybody wishes this was different. Pointing out that it's shite repeatedly is a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.
Of course people should lean on those around them, and we all do to an extent, but continuing to focus on the negatives of this is not helpful and will just make you feel worse.
But if you cant moan about trivial shit because its suddenly become frowned upon, it might become a real problem, by which time you have been conditioned to shut up and take your medicine.

It's probably not a huge thing, I'm not doing a "JTS doesnt give a f**k about mental health" thing here. Just that wee trivial moans are at the bottom of the pyramid as the least serious, most frequent type of moan we have. They probably help us prevent getting further up to the more dangerous thoughts and worries. I would be very wary of telling folk not to moan about X and Y for that reason.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You should be a psychiatrist.  You'd make a fortune. 

How people deal with it is a personal thing, and we'll all have good days and bad days. I've had both myself, now being 21 days into lockdown.

But there comes a point where we all need to accept that we are where we are and face the day accordingly. Of course, part of that is keeping in touch with mates and family and getting support when needed, but just moaning about things all the time is not healthy.

Everybody wants to be able to go for a pint, or go to the park, or go to the football, or whatever. Going on about it is pointless.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

But if you cant moan about trivial shit because its suddenly become frowned upon, it might become a real problem, by which time you have been conditioned to shut up and take your medicine.

It's probably not a huge thing, I'm not doing a "JTS doesnt give a f**k about mental health" thing here. Just that wee trivial moans are at the bottom of the pyramid as the least serious, most frequent type of moan we have. They probably help us prevent getting further up to the more dangerous thoughts and worries. I would be very wary of telling folk not to moan about X and Y for that reason.

You could have a point about that, but it also runs to risk of reinforcing the vibe of unfairness and misery, and that runs the risk of justifying a dark cloud over everything.

It's more helpful to go a day at a time and think of something you can do to make your day better, and make your day something you did something with.

Kind of like focusing on a shite left-back's crossing ability instead of his shite defending. You'll get more out him that way.

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Keep saying that if the lockdown lasts longer than5-6 weeks tops it will do more damage than the virus. People acting irrationally in an emergency are as dangerous if not more so than the original hazard
People keep bleating on about how we need to “put peoples health before the economy “ as if the two things are completely separate entities with no effect on each other. Pish! Where there is a-lot of poverty there is poor health and low life expectancy. Vice versa
Sorry to sound rough but people die all the time. Every single thing you do carries the risk of you dieing . For the “one death is too many “ & “if it saves one life its worth it” crowd then sorry too bad, get off your phones. The only choice we make in life is whether or not something has an acceptable risk or an unacceptable risk. Do we stop all road transport becuase there is a risk of fatalities? No

I don't know how many times people like you need it pointed out but its not all about the number of deaths its about too many people getting sick at the same time and completely buckling our health service to the point of no return. The health service in the UK is at capacity right now with the virus and that is after 2 weeks of lockdown.The worst is yet to come but it would have been a hell of a lot worse had we done nothing and let the virus run riot. Your argument of "people die all the time" is completely off the mark and doesn't focus on the bigger picture.

You could have a point about that, but it also runs to risk of reinforcing the vibe of unfairness and misery, and that runs the risk of justifying a dark cloud over everything.
It's more helpful to go a day at a time and think of something you can do to make your day better, and make your day something you did something with.
Kind of like focusing on a shite left-back's crossing ability instead of his shite defending. You'll get more out him that way.
As ever theres a balance to strike. Someone constantly going on and on about what they are missing out on is probably fair game to be told to wind their neck in. Someone having a wee moment to express how frustrated they are at say, the kids missing out on all that graduations BS they do, or just something they were looking forward to that doesnt seem a big deal, I guess that person might just be starting to suffer under the weight of it all and needs to moan their tits off for a wee while. This should be encouraged.

I never thought I'd say this but I'm actually quite enjoying being back at work and actually having a chat with people again (while social distancing obviously).

What we did think was quite amusing was that 6 of us were just chatting away to each other at our desks and noted that if we did this outside we'd be pulled by the Polis. One of the girls also commented that she thought it really surreal that she could sit talking with all of us at work but had to speak out the window to her sister on her birthday because they couldn't come into contact with each other being from a different household.

It's when you break it down like that it does seem pretty bloody bizarre and also rather pointless, as at least She knows where her sisters been and what she's been getting up to but as for all of us, well ??????

For what it's worth I've been living a bit isolated for years due to a toxic group of friends. Anyway what I've found is that sitting around and complaining doesnt help. You need to change your mindset away from being motivated to one of not requiring motivation.
It needs to be your mindset to do something that's awkward or hard every day. Almost military style, get up and do it and it will make things better.
Yes I'm missing the fives, football and knowing that theres the possibility of doing other things but it gets easier over time.
Dont use outside motivation or follow celebrity fitness regimes. You need to do it.

Not trying to be preachy or anything but trying to help.

Anyway, Im structuring my day around Alert Mongoose and today is not a fucking good day.   

I think I’m married to your wife [emoji848]