Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1. It’s “cuntface Johnson” not “BoJo”.
2. If you have a garden you can goi in to it.
3.  Do you have a bigger part?
Point 1. I will unreservedly apologise.

Point 2. I know but I dont want to be fucking Baltic in doing so.

Point 3. Ask yer maw

41 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Agreed. The early part of March (when cases were low)  could quite easily have been used to prepare folk for lockdown, before enforcing a week or two before they eventually did. 

We are starting to see the effects of the lockdown now as numbers of new cases are falling every day. Pity this couldn't have been done earlier. 

How the f**k are numbers falling everyday.

Pretty sure they thought a light touch would do, keeping the economy functioning more or less normally, until the Imperial College do nothing figures came out, then they panicked having done nothing about securing tests, ventilators  and PPE supplies. 

Well indeed. They’ve definitely upped the seriousness rating of the situation, and they were quite clearly underprepared. My guess is they won’t be for the next one, which will require long term increased investment in the NHS.

If there’s any good to come from this at all, it’ll be the fact that the NHS will be put to the top of all the public spending priorities, and that any attempts to privatise parts of it are now non starters.

I don’t think the timing of any of the measures, such as closing schools, was simply down to unwillingness to act. There was some kind of medical reasoning behind it.

46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You do realise that if the government had said “you can exercise for a maximum of two miles” loads of folk would have claimed that was too prescriptive?

You would probably have been one of them.

Just fyi, it's one kilometer from home, here in sunny France. They have now said we don't need our bit of paper if the form is downloaded to a phone.

Dunno. More generally I've never understood the anti-French sentiment because every French person I've ever met either here or in France has been unfailingly charming and welcoming. It's a dull received wisdom that we should dislike the French, based on nothing more than an irrelevant atavism.

The whole “speak French or suffer” thing is a myth too. Some of the waiters can be absolute weirdos in that regard, but in my experience the French folk I met were only too keen to speak in English - to the point that I was asking them to speak French.

French = good guys, IMO (in moi opinion).

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

A stricter lockdown wouldnt have been obeyed earlier on, unless the Govt had warned the public from early March.

A stricter lockdown has about teh same chance as the current one of being enforced properly - not a cat's chance in hell. 

Also worth pointing out, the models the Govt are working from assume a certain amount of non compliance. 

Correct

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Point 1. I will unreservedly apologise.

Point 2. I know but I dont want to be fucking Baltic in doing so.

Point 3. Ask yer maw

Point 3.  My maw’s been dead for 16 years but I can still remember her laugh.

43 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Are they? What numbers suggest Italy and Spain have handled this any better than the UK? Whatever the Tories are doing, the SNP is doing too. They’re both acting in response to medical advice.

There is certainly not a laissez faire approach, which would imply that the government is content to allow the public to police themselves. We’ve seen government influence our daily lives in a way unseen since the Second World War.

https://www.ft.com/content/c764b98d-ae03-41ac-a2ca-8309f32d5e1c

Italy and Spain have plateaud according to this article and they believe a full on lockdown assisted this.

Also both were also better prepped. they were well above  the uk on critical bed numbers. 

Chart showing here is wide variation in critical care infrastructure

Spectacular effort from security at Sainsbury's in Crow Road there.

Rightly enforcing the "single shopper - no groups" policy at the door, arguing with what I assume was pozbaird and his mrs that it couldn't be changed to suit anyone. Unfortunately, inside there was a bloke standing in the middle of the aisle blocking it, shouting items on the list to his bird (both of them were student age) as she walked up and down the aisle, picking up items and bringing them back for his approval. This was completely ignored by a second security guard who actually looked down said aisle.