Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I suspect that demographics plays a part. Poorer countries have way younger populations. 

That's the optimistic view anyway. 

It might simply be that they have done fewer tests. 

As you say, if it takes off it will make us look well prepared. 

They do have younger populations, mainly because they don't live to be older. That's not a positive in terms of health in general or this pandemic in particular. I tend to think of It as a 50-year old Filipino is comparable to a 60-year old Brit. (Or a 40-year old Dundonian!) 

We are doing no testing here, we just got told to stay home, only go out to buy essentials and stop bevying.

Believe me, you are super well prepared compared to us. That should'nt give you any comfort though.

The tories are making a rip roaring c**t of it but folk have to take some personal responsibility. We are starting to see the full on lockdown in Italy and Spain starting to bring the figures down after a few weeks of hard pain. The whole laissez faire approach is just going to see the UK get absoloutly blootered with it.

Are they? What numbers suggest Italy and Spain have handled this any better than the UK? Whatever the Tories are doing, the SNP is doing too. They’re both acting in response to medical advice.

There is certainly not a laissez faire approach, which would imply that the government is content to allow the public to police themselves. We’ve seen government influence our daily lives in a way unseen since the Second World War.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Officials give Ministers dodgy advice; Ministers act on that advice; officials defend their position.  I am shocked.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Are they? What numbers suggest Italy and Spain have handled this any better than the UK? Whatever the Tories are doing, the SNP is doing too. They’re both acting in response to medical advice.

There is certainly not a laissez faire approach, which would imply that the government is content to allow the public to police themselves. We’ve seen government influence our daily lives in a way unseen since the Second World War.

I think that Sturgeon has not wanted to disagree with the UK position in case it is seen as political opportunism at a very sensitive time.  In that respect she’s got it wrong.

She has got it right on some detail, like saying that all but essential construction should be halted.

That doesn’t say Herd Immunity was the policy in and of itself. It says it was an aim. It still is an aim, maybe even a necessity.

Just because the government changed tack doesn’t mean it was never doing anything at first. This has always been about reducing the number of cases to a point that the NHS is not overcome with cases - reducing the curve, in other words.

As I said before, and it does suck for those identified as at risk, it has always been about finding an acceptable level of damage before herd immunity starts to kick in, if it ever does.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Hancock doling out the threats over the exercise outdoors thing now.

Anyway, this taps aff weather is yet to materialise here. Am fuckin baltic

It’s a heatwave in Dundee.  I’m nude sunbathing in the garden.

So if anyone thought that COVID-19 was the worst thing to happen this week...

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a heatwave in Dundee.  I’m nude sunbathing in the garden.

So if anyone thought that COVID-19 was the worst thing to happen this week...

Part of me would enjoy the good weather not to materialise and Hancock, Bojo and co to have already prepared the "too many people sunabthing" excuse for further restrictions

A bigger part of me wants to drink lager in the garden though. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Part of me would enjoy the good weather not to materialise and Hancock, Bojo and co to have already prepared the "too many people sunabthing" excuse for further restrictions

1. It’s “cuntface Johnson” not “BoJo”.

2. If you have a garden you can goi in to it.

3.  Do you have a bigger part?

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

If this is a world where you can be lambasted for going for a walk while avoiding others then I’m not really sure I want to be in it.

Point taken but where are you going to go? We're stuck whatever they decide.    

Unless you're contemplating shuffling off your mortal coil.   Don't do that. We need you and your pics. (well, some of them)

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

aye theyv been priming this line since Thursday or Friday before the good weather had started in England. it was the same a fortnight ago, I would be at all surprised to see it announced on Monday, these c***s are anything but subtle

1 minute ago, Paco said:

Boris Johnson said in his ‘Ministerial Address’ announcing our lockdown, viewed live by 27m people, that ‘parks remain open for exercise’. And you have people on here slating the public for going to the park.

This is what we’re meant to do. Have a pop at Londoners in their small one-bed flat for going a walk round the park, rather than focussing on the government’s dreadful strategy. We are three months into this and we have a load of clinical staff without PPE, NHS England has tested barely 3000 frontline staff for the virus with tens of thousands isolating and we’re now into dozens of clinical deaths, we’re on a steeper curve for deaths than Italy and Spain with a significant head start when the virus landed in Europe, existing UK ventilator manufacturers punt them out to the rest of the world while we sit waiting on the PMs pals to come up with them, testing is essentially stagnant with a ridiculous target that’ll never be hit released to appease the media, the much trailed antibody test is still nowhere near ready and there’s different advice and answers on an almost daily basis from the Carabao Cup reserves that are punted out to do the daily updates while the PM hides, virus or no virus if he’s well enough to allegedly chair meetings he could manage some updates or at least allow his chancellor/Home Sec/Foreign Sec out on a regular basis - too scared that the big hitters (such as they are with this government) might fill the void of leadership that he sends no marks that 99% of people would walk past in the street and the reviled Gove out to do it instead.

People are idiots. Obviously. That’s not up for debate and it never will be. There are of course a few cases of morons sitting about in public for a barbecue or a few cans. It’s stupid and they shouldn’t be doing it. But the vast majority are doing what they’re asked to within the guidelines. I’d far sooner chase the government for their failings than Archie from Govan for getting out his flat and sitting on his arse for ten minutes in the park.

Too long a post but I still read it and many good points.

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That doesn’t say Herd Immunity was the policy in and of itself. It says it was an aim. It still is an aim, maybe even a necessity.

Just because the government changed tack doesn’t mean it was never doing anything at first. This has always been about reducing the number of cases to a point that the NHS is not overcome with cases - reducing the curve, in other words.

As I said before, and it does suck for those identified as at risk, it has always been about finding an acceptable level of damage before herd immunity starts to kick in, if it ever does.

Pretty sure they thought a light touch would do, keeping the economy functioning more or less normally, until the Imperial College do nothing figures came out, then they panicked having done nothing about securing tests, ventilators  and PPE supplies. 

Edited by welshbairn