Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, dirty dingus said:

They're is going to be a full on lockdown within a week, the Beeb are showing footage from promanades and parks down south and they are mobbed.

The general public as a whole are clearly arseholes and quite thick.

I don't think we needed something like this to highlight that, but it's definitely confirmed it.

The government have done a great job making this about the working class being "scum" rather than their own incompetence. People should not be milling about in parks but it's the equivalent of stuff like Benefits Street or The Scheme.

24 minutes ago, throbber said:

It will surely get far worse among countries like the Philippines that are so densely populated that don’t have the best health care though. If it doesn’t take off that badly in the poorer countries it will send the 5g conspiracy nut jobs into overdrive. 

It's frightening what's happening in India where millions of people in the cities have lost their jobs and have been forced to head out across the country to their villages, taking the virus as they go most likely.

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

The bit that worries me is the suppression of truth early doors, I read a news piece where it said at the bottom that we'd 5 deaths at least a week before we announced one, I'm just hoping they've got the timing right as a couple of days late takes into disaster mode. 

Yes. Emergency service staff and NHS staff all have the threat of discipline hanging over them if they speak out about the reality.

You used to get people in charge of these organisations who had backbone and would fight the corner of their staff and speak out against politicians. Now you get puppets put in charge who will go along with everything the government says, too worried about self-preservation.

As much the case in Scotland as down south sadly.

29 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Cracking morning down here, meant to be up to about 20 later on. Going to be interesting to see if the masses can avoid going out. 

Nothing to stop them now as long as they tell the polis that they are just out a run in the car to check that their 2nd home is ok if they get pulled up about being out  If it is good enough for Calderwood it is good enough  for the rest of us What a 2 faced bitch!

20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'm sure I read it wasn't a holiday home, she had a house she stays in during the week in Edinburgh while working and a main residence in Fife. Not quite the same thing if true and the way plenty people in the likes of Edinburgh and London work. That said Fife to Edinburgh is hardly the longest daily commute !

She probably gets paid about 300k a year. How is she going to afford a flat in  Edinburgh?

Guest JTS98
11 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

They're is going to be a full on lockdown within a week, the Beeb are showing footage from promanades and parks down south and they are mobbed. Now we'll get the we tried to trust you to do the right thing, you fucked it now get back in yer cell.

Depends what you mean by 'full lockdown'.

I doubt very much people will be stopped from going to the shops to buy food. This ludicrous 'exercise' thing will probably bite the dust soon though. People have quite clearly been taking liberties with it.

25 minutes ago, Dele said:

Lauren Hashian Wtf GIF by swerk

Greenied solely for the use of Miss J gifs.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The general public as a whole are clearly arseholes and quite thick.

I don't think we needed something like this to highlight that, but it's definitely confirmed it.

But now all the arseholes have the excuse of “How come it’s awrite for the Chief Medical Officer then?!”

Edited by 8MileBU

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I doubt very much people will be stopped from going to the shops to buy food. This ludicrous 'exercise' thing will probably bite the dust soon though. People have quite clearly been taking liberties with it.

People have been taking liberties with it. I can't see it being dropped though. 

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes. Emergency service staff and NHS staff all have the threat of discipline hanging over them if they speak out about the reality.

You used to get people in charge of these organisations who had backbone and would fight the corner of their staff and speak out against politicians. Now you get puppets put in charge who will go along with everything the government says, too worried about self-preservation.

As much the case in Scotland as down south sadly.

We won't know the extent until it's over. 

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You are also looking for the British media to cover a bit of nuance, and explain some background and facts to people rsther than wailing out headlines and giving a 10 page preview to a speech by some auld lizard wife who knows f**k all about anything.

Euronews is by far the best for actual "news" rather than the "feelgood" childish stories they roll out on ours coupled with bare stats that don't actually tell you anything.

32 minutes ago, throbber said:

It will surely get far worse among countries like the Philippines that are so densely populated that don’t have the best health care though. If it doesn’t take off that badly in the poorer countries it will send the 5g conspiracy nut jobs into overdrive. 

I suspect that demographics plays a part. Poorer countries have way younger populations. 

That's the optimistic view anyway. 

It might simply be that they have done fewer tests. 

As you say, if it takes off it will make us look well prepared. 

4 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

That's because their guidance has been deliberately blurry so that they can blame the public for their own incompetence. 

You see it on here, people talking about "scum" or "arseholes". UK government response has been a shambles and has led to more deaths than we needed.

21 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'm sure I read it wasn't a holiday home, she had a house she stays in during the week in Edinburgh while working and a main residence in Fife. Not quite the same thing if true and the way plenty people in the likes of Edinburgh and London work. That said Fife to Edinburgh is hardly the longest daily commute !

The below is a quote from a Scottish Government spokesman (quoted in the Guardian). It was an unnecessary journey and contrary to guidance previously issued about people travelling to second homes. 

“Since the start of this epidemic, the CMO has been working seven days a week preparing Scotland’s response.

She took the opportunity this weekend to check on a family home in Fife as she knows she will not be back again until the crisis is over. She stayed overnight before returning to Edinburgh.

“In line with guidance, she stayed within her own household group and observed social distancing with anyone she was in passing in the village.”

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

That's because their guidance has been deliberately blurry so that they can blame the public for their own incompetence. 

You see it on here, people talking about "scum" or "arseholes". UK government response has been a shambles and has led to more deaths than we needed.

I sort of agree, but not fully.

I think, based on interviews I've heard over the weeks with various health people on radio etc, that the agreed wisdom among most governments pre-pandemic was that it would be important to allow people to get out for a bit each day to make the lockdown work.

In that regard, the UK's view seems to have been in line with a lot of other governments.

But, in practice, I think it's been seen that the idea of being allowed out for non-essential supplies just leads to people stretching the boundaries and not taking it seriously. I'd imagine the exercise thing will go soon and it'll be outside for essential supplies only.

They could remove the exercise thing and enforce the essential ness of travel nore rigorously. It probably takes the number down marginally. However, having not yet seen the effects of the current lockdown, and knowing that doing this would result in serious backlash, I would imagine the risk/reward ratio is pretty tight. 

No one wants further restrictions. Including those in charge. I cant se either happening until it can be demonstrated that what we have now isnt cutting it

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Going to the promenade or to the park because it is a nice day does make you an arsehole, sorry.

The guidelines may be blurry, but it's quite clear neither of those two examples are allowed.

It's ok to blame both the government and these idiots

10 minutes ago, maicoman said:

Nothing to stop them now as long as they tell the polis that they are just out a run in the car to check that their 2nd home is ok if they get pulled up about being out  If it is good enough for Calderwood it is good enough  for the rest of us What a 2 faced bitch!

She might be the wrong person for the job. Last month...

"The emerging scientific advice is that large-scale gatherings, particularly those in the open air probably don't make a big impact on the transmission of the virus in the community. We have the rugby at Murrayfield, Scotland v France, going ahead this weekend and I am absolutely sure that that is the right thing to do."  - Calderwood

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The government have done a great job making this about the working class being "scum" rather than their own incompetence. People should not be milling about in parks but it's the equivalent of stuff like Benefits Street or The Scheme.

I’ve been saying this from the start.  There seems to be more discourse about the ‘idiots spoiling it for everyone’ and the BBC have been at the forefront at driving this message.  Not to say it isn’t true, but it detracts from the fundamental failures of this govt to respond to the crisis as it has unfolded.  I would argue that we’d see more sensible behaviour from the public if the government where able to more confidently present a longer term plan on how to get us through this mess.  It’s difficult to get buy-in from the masses when the directions are so muddled and contradictory.

Someone will counter with ‘what part of stay home, protect the NHS and save lives don’t you understand?’.  However it’s more nuanced than that.

How long have we to stay home for? Dunno- 3 weeks then we’ll see.  Is this enough to save the NHS? Dunno, we’ve got our best vacuum selling brexiteer trying to make ventilators and staff with no PPE.  Will this save lives? Dunno, we hope so, but we also need key workers to keep the place going, including window cleaners.

This situation needed a preestablished contingency and leaders with the balls to outline a plan which goes beyond directives changing every two minutes.  The Tories have fucked it. 

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Tbh if Boris and co had been firmer from the start and went with a stronger lockdown straight away we might have been in a better place.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

E3BE8FB1-D929-48AA-81C6-46A8575D9380.jpeg

I can kind of see Sugars point and also Morgans point too.  Celebrities posting pics of themselves lounging around in their leafy gardens isn't helping matters, according to Morgan (while boasting of his garden) the poor  can open a window. 

Problem is that you'd end up with huge crowds in the parks, especially in the cities.  

Sugar means well imo, while Morgan is making this all about himself again. 

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

Catherine Calderwood papped at her home in Edinburgh and holiday home in Fife this week. Call will be going in for Jason Leitch to do the daily briefing any time now.

Another case of one rule for the better off and another rule for the rest.