Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Aye, I get that. Just wondered. I see people becoming online curtain-twitchers on Facebook. “What is he doing out?” “Where is he going?” “Don’t they know they’re meant to stay home.” 

These are the same people who were on Facebook telling you such-and-such a place was hoaching. They are one of the people making that place hoaching but they don’t seem to register this. 

J Cole' linked sites do say that's what will happen. 

40 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Personally, that doesn't matter to me at all. In a normal season most of the flu deaths are folk likely only losing a few months of their life, but this time a lot are losing a decade, even those over 70.

On top of that, people are going to die of things they would normally survive, because many hospitals won't have enough capacity to give them the normal levels of care.

It seems way too early to make judgements like the first on there. We won't know that with any certainty until proper studies have been done.

On the second point, I agree, but that's what is currently happening, and looks certain to continue for some time. We're prioritising Covid victims over victims of cancer, even though the average age of the former is higher than the latter.

My original post this morning highlighting an article from a conspiracy theorist was about how debate is not allowed with regards to coronavirus.
Asking whether the Swedish model might be a better strategy leads to abuse and being accused of having a callous disregard for life.
Turns out the conspiracy theorist was correct. 
Meanwhile people are happy to believe that the Tory Government strategy is the only one that will work and believe everything the MSM tell them
Its been a real remarkable turnaround in the space of a month.

There's very few respected professionals of any political allegiance suggesting anything else, other than more severe restrictions - the exact opposite to what your sources are suggesting.

If you could find respected sources of information then folk would take them more seriously. But the main criticisms of our government's response is to go in the opposite fucking direction to you.

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
20 minutes ago, virginton said:
Not sure what your point was supposed to be champ, the facts speak for themselves on this one:
venn-diagram-1.thumb.jpg.df632078eff027aede45ca818aedd0b5.jpg

Don't worry vT aside from your overly patronising, sneery style, I actually think you have been talking some sense on this thread. Was just giving some support to our unfortunate County cousins, been a while since you lads have had to use the old bus but at least you have got to use it at some point.

Did they not have to have a man with a red flag walking in front of it?

Michael Gove has instructed that no- one should go fir a walk longer than an hour, or run fir longer than 30 minutes or cycle for longer than 45 mins.

Assuming that you also follow the government instruction or never being within 2 metres of someone else, can someone explain to me how walking fir longer than an hour or running fir longer than 30 mins will increase the spread of coronavirus? 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

If morons think that wearing a mask will directly protect them from the virus (it won't) then that's fine. The point is that by doing so they will greatly reduce their own virus particles being sprayed out of the mouth if they are carrying it and showing no symptoms. The more people that wear a mask then the harder it is for the virus to continue spreading. And you don't need a high-quality surgical mask to achieve that.

Say for talking sake the virus is 1 micron and the holes in the masks are 3 microns, why would it stop you spreading it but not stop you getting it? 

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Say for talking sake the virus is 1 micron and the holes in the masks are 3 microns, why would it stop you spreading it but not stop you getting it? 

I’ve no idea if the masks are effective or not but c’mon let’s use actual science not made up hypothetical guesses on why they might not be?

9 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

It's like having a hankie in front of your face.

1 minute ago, Rodhull said:

I’ve no idea if the masks are effective or not but c’mon let’s use actual science not made up hypothetical guesses on why they might not be?

A scientist on the radio last week said exactly that but I can't find anything online to back it up. Why would minute droplets only go one way through the holes in a mask?

If you get symptoms and are thus to self isolate at home with your family. What is the policy within the household. Has the govt or experts ever indicated that they want householders to spread the disease to each other ?
Or should you lock the wife up the loft ?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The average time between contracting the virus and showing symptoms is about five days.

The average time that between showing symptoms and dying for someone who dies with the virus is fourteen days.

So a significant proportion of the people dying now probably contracted the virus nearly three weeks ago. If the primary method for transmission is social contact then you’d expect that to be reflected in statistics starting in the next week or ten days. The current measures came in nearly two weeks ago.

Of course, it could be that this doesn’t happen because the measures aren’t tough enough or that the increasing numbers of people getting ill are causing infections among family members or medical staff. These people could then infect others, driving the rate up. Some of the evidence inItaly is that hospitals are centres for infection so the increase of patients could cause an increase, coupled with the problems getting proper equipment to NHS staff.

All this is again predicated on the data being accurate, which is obviously a real problem with such a new virus. I did see one story from Lombardy where they had a blood drive and found around 70% of donors had antibodies, the majority of people not having had symptoms.

If those timelines are true then Scotland has an incredible death rate (based on published figures). I know there's a delay between symptoms arising and hospitalisation, but still.

9 minutes ago, superbigal said:

If you get symptoms and are thus to self isolate at home with your family. What is the policy within the household. Has the govt or experts ever indicated that they want householders to spread the disease to each other ?

Not official advice.

Yu are supposed to stay two metres away from other people in your home if you can. If possible use different bathrooms and kitchens, if not then thoroughly clean any you use between use. Sleep in separate beds etc.

4 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I'd have to let her out of the cellar first.

50 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
55 minutes ago, virginton said:
Not sure what your point was supposed to be champ, the facts speak for themselves on this one:
venn-diagram-1.thumb.jpg.df632078eff027aede45ca818aedd0b5.jpg

Don't worry vT aside from your overly patronising, sneery style, I actually think you have been talking some sense on this thread. Was just giving some support to our unfortunate County cousins, been a while since you lads have had to use the old bus but at least you have got to use it at some point.

The problem with VT (other than his patronising sneery style of writing) is that he NEVER agrees with anything or anyone and takes the contrarian view ALL the time, as such it becomes very tiresome reading his constant assaults and childish wynd ups to other posters.

Don't get me wrong, some of the stuff he posts can actually on occasion be pretty decent, but due to his adversarial and condescending style it just makes reading his posts more bother than what they're worth. (Incidentally being an Ayr fan I'm well aware of how successful or indeed unsuccessful we'been in our history).

The important thing is that we can all disagree with each other and also have a laugh but we can do it politely and without the constant pish, especially at a time when many of us are under pressure, so all in all I find it a much more enjoyable P&B experience to just stick him on ignore.

Edited by WATTOO