Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Swedish model

Well, the rest of that post was massively disappointing.

I was in Stax (trade store) the other day and they gave you gloves to put on before you went in the store.

I was in Morrisons supermarket the other week and saw a woman cough over the meat fridge. A proper cough, never covered her mouth. It was minging. The meat is all in clingfilm or whatever but still.

They supply hand sanitizer and gloves but you need to provide your own mask.

You must be UGLY.

I mean I always knew it, but it still hurts to have it confirmed.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Saw a tweet from an Irish lad in Beijing saying that he got out for dinner and drinks with his pals yesterday for the first time since January. They're testing everyone before they enter any buildings. I'd like to think we can move into a second phase of lockdown/quarantine once we have more comprehensive testing up and running.

All going well I'll be mwi in The Shed by the August bank holiday.

Gutted they pushed Riverside Festival back to September. Was hedging my bets on catching it swedgered up during Disclosure.

1 hour ago, Mr Tourette said:

I’m wondering how it is that some people seem to be more badly affected by the virus than others. Young fit and healthy folk dying and duffers like Boris and Prince Charles just having mild cases

Are there two different strains going about? I remember reading somewhere there was an “S” strain and a “L” strain. That was probably a load of shite, though

A Shagger's strain and a Loser's strain. Guess which one you're on.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

Nowt wrong with the 1st part, left wingers should make an effort to read a lot of right wing stuff and vice versa. 

Unless you're a monk living in the remotest monastery away from civilisation it is impossible to be a left winger in this country and ignore right wing material. 

Watched david icke last night for a laugh.

5G is causing this and covid is made up.

Scary thing is theres thousands agreeing with him despite any evidence. It will be funny if it wasnt so sad.

Including my mum. last nights phone call was hard, add in the fact my dad (77) was away to Tesco when I called. Not once in the last 3 weeks have they taken the offer of me dropping of anything in the porch 🤦‍♂️

7 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Don't get me wrong.  I am in no doubt that climate change is a serious issue and we must do something about it.

We definitely see melting glaciers.  We definitely see tropical jungles getting smaller.  We see more extreme weather in places.

There is no question this is due to human activity.  All of that has been measured.  It has all been observed.

You then have to predict what will happen if nothing is done about it.  I think that what Kincardine is on about.  Predictions can go wrong and that creates scepticism.

Ah, fair enough 👍

7 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I suffer from really bad asthma. So does my partner. My mother has a life limiting heart condition. My father in law has cancer. My mother in law has COPD. 

The ‘double counting’ is my point. Doh!

That’s some hand you’ve been dealt there m8.

Along with you being an utter trumpet as well.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Unless you're a monk living in the remotest monastery away from civilisation it is impossible to be a left winger in this country and ignore right wing material. 

Most manage it fine, the majority only read a headline. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

The Imperial College report states that stoping mass gatherings have a negligible impact on flattening the curve.

Do you have any evidence that banning what you have described will have a greater than negligible impact on flattening the curve?

Are you saying that Neil Ferguson is wrong?

Do you support social distancing or not? 

Is going to the park and beach and packing them with people practicing social distancing or isn't it? 

Does a highly contagious virus spread from person to person very easily when groups of people are gathered together?

If more people have the virus, is it more or less likely that the number of people who die as a result of having the virus will rise? 

Is there a reason that countries which have instituted lockdowns have subsequently seen their graph flatten? 

Why is the graph not flattening in the US? 

Edited by madwullie

The average time between contracting the virus and showing symptoms is about five days.

The average time that between showing symptoms and dying for someone who dies with the virus is fourteen days.

So a significant proportion of the people dying now probably contracted the virus nearly three weeks ago. If the primary method for transmission is social contact then you’d expect that to be reflected in statistics starting in the next week or ten days. The current measures came in nearly two weeks ago.

Of course, it could be that this doesn’t happen because the measures aren’t tough enough or that the increasing numbers of people getting ill are causing infections among family members or medical staff. These people could then infect others, driving the rate up. Some of the evidence inItaly is that hospitals are centres for infection so the increase of patients could cause an increase, coupled with the problems getting proper equipment to NHS staff.

All this is again predicated on the data being accurate, which is obviously a real problem with such a new virus. I did see one story from Lombardy where they had a blood drive and found around 70% of donors had antibodies, the majority of people not having had symptoms.

4 hours ago, bendan said:

I'm not one of the 'it's just the flu' crowd, but I'd say one of mistakes the 'end is nigh' crowd make is to compare excess deaths from other things to total reported (i.e. not just excess, which we don't currently know) for this. Despite the media reports of wards full of people in their twenties and thirties, over 50% of deaths have been in over 80s.

Personally, that doesn't matter to me at all. In a normal season most of the flu deaths are folk likely only losing a few months of their life, but this time a lot are losing a decade, even those over 70.

And for those under 70, it may be be a small percentage but it will still end up many thousands of lives across the world.

On top of that, people are going to die of things they would normally survive, because many hospitals won't have enough capacity to give them the normal levels of care.

I don't think anyone has said anything that could be characterised as "the end is nigh"; the worst is the models of 550,000 deaths in the UK and 2.2 million in the US (both 'do nothing' figures). 

My original post this morning highlighting an article from a conspiracy theorist was about how debate is not allowed with regards to coronavirus.

Asking whether the Swedish model might be a better strategy leads to abuse and being accused of having a callous disregard for life.

Turns out the conspiracy theorist was correct. 
Meanwhile people are happy to believe that the Tory Government strategy is the only one that will work and believe everything the MSM tell them

Its been a real remarkable turnaround in the space of a month.

Edited by Jeremiah Cole

10 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Most manage it fine, the majority only read a headline. 

Weren't you and yon Tryfield lad proper right-wing military fetishists a few years back?

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Big fear that next weekend will set us back weeks as hoards of morons have BBQs or fire down to the same hotspots for a day or two.

Those bloody panic buyers.

These days if you debate coronavirus you will be arrested and thrown in jail.

I challenged the coronavirus to a full length debate on the issues on the Joe Rogan podcast but it refused and instead infected my upper respiratory system and killed me due to ARDS. Typical reaction from someone scared of debate.