Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm interested to see how long it takes the UK's gormless medical experts to U-turn on their face masks are useless line and produce yet another infallible 'model' to justify their stance. I'd give it until the end of this week.

My feeling is that facemasks are the adult equivalent of a baby's pacifier.

Unless you have medical grade gear it's like putting a string vest over a open window to stop flies getting in. 

Edited by Detournement

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Ok, I get you, but that's only for certain groups who are more at risk, not the general population.

I was only talking about myself in the 1st post, what others do is their choice. 

I'll follow the numbers as much as possible and go from there. 

Edited by ayrmad

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Read a report on Sky that some expert thinks social distancing measures here will be relaxed in the “next few weeks”. So many contrary reports every day 

Contrary to what many people believe, I'm sure the idea all along is not to avoid catching the virus per se, but to avoid catching it all at the same time. This way the infections are staggered and the most acute cases can be dealt with by our hospitals as opposed to everyone getting it at the same time which would obviously mean coping would be impossible, our Hospitals and ancillary services would be overwhelmed and we'd end up with situations such as Bergamo but much, much worse.

By the same token the longer we can go on without a mass outbreak, the longer we have to find a drug to combat / ease the symptoms or of course finding the jackpot in a genuine vaccine.

Ultimately it's all speculation as the advice does seem to change quite regularly as the situation develops.

The government strategy is to flatten the curve so that the health service is not overwhelmed. The strategy isn’t to eradicate the virus.

Can someone please show me some evidence as to why the Swedish model will not flatten the curve and why their health system will be overwhelmed?

Can someone please show me that the number of deaths caused by the ensuing depression won’t be greater than the difference between the UK following their current model versus the Swedish model?

Just now, Jeremiah Cole said:

The government strategy is to flatten the curve so that the health service is not overwhelmed. The strategy isn’t to eradicate the virus.

Can someone please show me some evidence as to why the Swedish model will not flatten the curve and why their health system will be overwhelmed?

Can someone please show me that the number of deaths caused by the ensuing depression won’t be greater than the difference between the UK following their current model versus the Swedish model?

Can you show me how you cure Lung Cancer by standing more than 2m away?

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Contrary to what many people believe, I'm sure the idea all along is not to avoid catching the virus per se, but to avoid catching it all at the same time. This way the infections are staggered and the most acute cases can be dealt with by our hospitals as opposed to everyone getting it at the same time which would obviously mean coping would be impossible, our Hospitals and ancillary services would be overwhelmed and we'd end up with situations such as Bergamo but much, much worse.

By the same token the longer we can go on without a mass outbreak, the longer we have to find a drug to combat / ease the symptoms or of course finding the jackpot in a genuine vaccine.

Ultimately it's all speculation as the advice does seem to change quite regularly as the situation develops.

This is exactly as I understand it. The infection rate means it spreads like wildfire and too many folk having it at once would overwhelm the NHS.

It's about slowing the spread, not stopping it. This is what the 'bUT the 'FlU kiLLs MoRe!!111!!" folk don't seem to get.

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

My feeling is that facemasks are the adult equivalent of a baby's pacifier.

Unless you have medical grade gear it's like putting a string vest over a open window to stop flies getting in. 

If morons think that wearing a mask will directly protect them from the virus (it won't) then that's fine. The point is that by doing so they will greatly reduce their own virus particles being sprayed out of the mouth if they are carrying it and showing no symptoms. The more people that wear a mask then the harder it is for the virus to continue spreading. And you don't need a high-quality surgical mask to achieve that.

Was expecting this to happen in Scotland first. 

A couple in India have named their twins born amid the global coronavirus pandemic Corona and Covid.

The siblings - a girl and a boy - were born to Preeti and Vinay Verma in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh on 27 March during the ongoing nationwide lockdown, according to NDTV

17 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Lehs!

You can't prevent lung cancer or COPD etc... that way.

Your 21,320 is a group of conditions, not 1 single condition.

People dying of lung cancer and COPD are also being included in the coronavirus death statistics.

Can you provide a break down of the numbers I have provided?

In Italy, at least 50% of the people who died of coronavirus had at least 2 severe chronic illnesses. 75% had 3.

The 3 main illnesses were heart disease, cancer and diabetes. 

The Italian Health Institute has confirmed that around 88% would have died anyway.

On average, it’s reckoned that around 17,000 specifically die of the flu every year in the UK.

In a bad flu season, like 14/15, it’s reckoned that it caused 44,000 excess mortality in the UK

Most of these deaths could have been prevented by locking down the economy.

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Contrary to what many people believe, I'm sure the idea all along is not to avoid catching the virus per se, but to avoid catching it all at the same time. T

It's laughable to see people still clinging to the belief that there has been a plan all along, when the UK government has actually flip-flopped on nearly every single piece of public health advice in the month of March alone. Was it really their idea to give Italy a run for its money in the number of daily deaths right now? As opposed to being a relative success story like South Korea or Singapore? If you believe that then you are assuming that the UK is governed by highly efficient sociopaths.

Edited by vikingTON