Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

They won't get diverted to the USA will they?

US accused of 'modern piracy' after diversion of masks meant for Europe

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/mask-wars-coronavirus-outbidding-demand

They'll go were the money is, like most things in life.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

I only see Kincardine's tweets when someone replies to him. He really is an omnishambles.

That thing about scientists predicting an ice age in the 70s is an absolute myth that zoomers tell each other to justify their anti-scientific drivel.

FWIW, the way you describe science above is wrong. It also massively distorts the contradictory evidence on climate change to make it appear like it has validity or is on an equal footing with the evidence supporting climate change theory.

Don't get me wrong.  I am in no doubt that climate change is a serious issue and we must do something about it.

We definitely see melting glaciers.  We definitely see tropical jungles getting smaller.  We see more extreme weather in places.

There is no question this is due to human activity.  All of that has been measured.  It has all been observed.

You then have to predict what will happen if nothing is done about it.  I think that what Kincardine is on about.  Predictions can go wrong and that creates scepticism.

6 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Just saw a meme saying words to the effect of, 'The government know everyone would go mental if they told you 4 months lockdown so they're telling you 30 days at a time'.

Probably not far from the truth IMO.

"Daddy.  Are we nearly there?"

"Just a bit further."

Repeat.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

More bad news for the "it's just flu" crowd.

One of the stupid things they do is compare excess mortality with hospital deaths. Here's New York State's hospital deaths from flu:

EUqfJnuUcAEyTie.jpeg

I'm not one of the 'it's just the flu' crowd, but I'd say one of mistakes the 'end is nigh' crowd make is to compare excess deaths from other things to total reported (i.e. not just excess, which we don't currently know) for this. Despite the media reports of wards full of people in their twenties and thirties, over 50% of deaths have been in over 80s.

10 hours ago, Fullerene said:

In all fairness I see where you are coming from regarding predictions. 

Take climate change as an example.

Scientist A has an article printed in one magazine saying Climate Change will be a disaster.  The world will get hotter.  Europe south of Paris will turn to desert and it will be a nightmare.

Meanwhile Scientist B has an article printed in another magazine saying Climate Change will be a disaster.  The world will actually get colder.  Europe north of Paris will have severe winters and it will be a nightmare.

Net result.   The two articles cancel out and nobody worries about Climate Change.

A better approach is to say Climate Change is a serious matter.  We can't entirely predict how it will might make things worse but that is all the more reason to deal with while we still can.  If we wait until we know everything it might be too late.

Is that about it?

You wouldn't happen to be selling a house in Paris, would you?

I've tried to remain optimistic, yet also level headed through this.

However, coming round to thinking this virus will be among us for a good couple of years yet. Can't see pubs / restaurants / the football starting again in that timeframe.

Economy will take a tanking obviously, which will take upwards of a decade to recover from. The life we all knew before, will be a very, very long time in coming back ☹️. Apologies for being the prophet of doom.

Edited by Steven W

It baffles me that the police are having to put out warnings for people that the rules still apply despite the fact it's going to hit 15 degrees celsius tomorrow. 

The Pozbairds of this world will no doubt be flocking to the beach at Troon, but doing so as a married couple doing married couple things because they're normal so that makes it alright.

Edited by Marshmallo

4 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I've tried to remain optimistic, yet also level headed through this.

However, coming round to thinking this virus will be among us for a good couple of years yet. Can't see pubs / restaurants / the football starting again in that timeframe.

Economy will take a tanking obviously, which will take upwards of a decade to recover from. The life we all knew before, will be a very, very long time in coming back ☹️. Apologies for being the prophet of doom.

We'll have capacity and knowledge to withstand a bigger wave next time around, so long as we've timed our lockdown properly in the 1st place. 

I don't think I'll be doing a 2nd proper in your house 24/7 lockdown, that'll be dependent on whether this just remains numbers or turns into a hide behind the couch watching news exercise, here's hoping. 

25 minutes ago, bendan said:

I'm not one of the 'it's just the flu' crowd, but I'd say one of mistakes the 'end is nigh' crowd make is to compare excess deaths from other things to total reported (i.e. not just excess, which we don't currently know) for this. Despite the media reports of wards full of people in their twenties and thirties, over 50% of deaths have been in over 80s.

So, 50% of deaths in the 0-80 age group and 50% of deaths in the 81-160 age group.

What's your point?

TV folk and crayon users in the press need to chill the f**k out with the Our Brave Troops , The Frontline Fighters,  Bravest in the World pish. These folk in the NHS signed up to help people not be some kind of martyrs to Covid19. I know a load of nurses who are going to work stressed out their boxes and basically shitting it.  Bojo and Hancock need to f**k up and  get their collective fingers out and stop leaving these folks to be hung out to dry. Laura and the rest of the lapdog media need to start holding  them to account for their current and passed actions. All these applause and pot banging mean nowt when you don't have the right protection to deal with this crisis.

If I see any government minister in my local bookies when they re-open they'll be getting a good boot in the pie.

Cometh the hour, hideth the man.

52 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Interesting that in countries where it’s socially acceptable to wear a mask have low outbreaks of covid and countries where it is not are getting pummelled.

Science.

I’ll wait to see what Bet365 and PaddyPower have to say first thanks.

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It baffles me that the police are having to put out warnings for people that the rules still apply despite the fact it's going to hit 15 degrees celsius tomorrow. 

Masks aff.