Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Moomintroll
This on so many levels. I work in critical care. We have turned our 16 bed intensive care unit into Covid patients only and tuened our medical high dependency unit into a satellite ICU for non-covid patients. We have contingency plans to expand into theatres soon. All elective surgery is stopped. We have taken all anaesthetic trainees to critical care, leaving anaesthesia with skeleton staff. A black rota is running to ensure we have enough staff to cope with the projected sickness.
The hospital is filling up. The patients we're seeing are really sick and believe me, I'm used to dealing with really sick patients. They're not turning around quickly those that survive. I agree this is the quiet before the storm. We'll see in the next couple of weeks how successful the isolation measures have been. We seem to be a couple of weeks behind Italy and Spain and a week or so behind the south of England, where it sounds from from my colleagues down there.
This a reality, we haven't seen the worst of it yet, but I hope we can keep some semblance of control over it.
I don't have any words but keep doing what you are doing. Thanks for what I know you think is just your job.

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

That guy goes from being excellent to a bit of an idiot quite regularly during each video for me.

I like watching it because it really annoys me.

His simplified way of explaining medical stuff to a population of thickos is excellent, but then contrast that with his spelling mistakes, his pronunciation of 'expedential' growth and many others, and the way he now seems to feel his opinion is on a par with the head of the WHO.

Hes hit a winning formula with it though. Take a few random countries and print off the figures, regularly say how awful it is. Lockdown measures good. Non lockdown measures bad.  Figures for xxx in Europe are appalling. Name a random densely populated poorer country and say how concerned you are for them.  Bang, half million followers.

I think I like how much it annoys me.

That and Trump's evening conferences.

Just saw a meme saying words to the effect of, 'The government know everyone would go mental if they told you 4 months lockdown so they're telling you 30 days at a time'.

Probably not far from the truth IMO.

9 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Out for a walk, guy jogging along a street empty other than me crosses the road then runs past me about 2 foot away. I'm taking a 6 foot breaker's bar with me next time.

Social Distancer 3000 don't go out without it. 

SD3000.png

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Just saw a meme saying words to the effect of, 'The government know everyone would go mental if they told you 4 months lockdown so they're telling you 30 days at a time'.

Probably not far from the truth IMO.

But the UK Deputy CMO said to prepare for up to 6 months, and I've heard 5 months. I'm sure I've heard Scottish authorities say similar and our CMO said 3 months "in the first instance."

Many people are desperate to believe in mind games.

The regs are for 21 days at a time, IIRC, which is obviously better than doing a Hungary.

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

In all fairness I see where you are coming from regarding predictions. 

Take climate change as an example.

Scientist A has an article printed in one magazine saying Climate Change will be a disaster.  The world will get hotter.  Europe south of Paris will turn to desert and it will be a nightmare.

Meanwhile Scientist B has an article printed in another magazine saying Climate Change will be a disaster.  The world will actually get colder.  Europe north of Paris will have severe winters and it will be a nightmare.

Net result.   The two articles cancel out and nobody worries about Climate Change.

A better approach is to say Climate Change is a serious matter.  We can't entirely predict how it will might make things worse but that is all the more reason to deal with while we still can.  If we wait until we know everything it might be too late.

Is that about it? 

I only see Kincardine's tweets when someone replies to him. He really is an omnishambles.

That thing about scientists predicting an ice age in the 70s is an absolute myth that zoomers tell each other to justify their anti-scientific drivel.

FWIW, the way you describe science above is wrong. It also massively distorts the contradictory evidence on climate change to make it appear like it has validity or is on an equal footing with the evidence supporting climate change theory.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

That guy goes from being excellent to a bit of an idiot quite regularly during each video for me.

I like watching it because it really annoys me.

His simplified way of explaining medical stuff to a population of thickos is excellent, but then contrast that with his spelling mistakes, his pronunciation of 'expedential' growth and many others, and the way he now seems to feel his opinion is on a par with the head of the WHO.

Hes hit a winning formula with it though. Take a few random countries and print off the figures, regularly say how awful it is. Lockdown measures good. Non lockdown measures bad.  Figures for xxx in Europe are appalling. Name a random densely populated poorer country and say how concerned you are for them.  Bang, half million followers.

I think I like how much it annoys me.

That and Trump's evening conferences.

I enjoyed him ripping into the WHO in his understated manner at the start of the top video.