Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes that's my take on what's happening as well.  Let enough of the population get infected and recover at a rate which the NHS can deal with, whilst protecting the most at risk members of society.

Still allowing flights to land here as well. If we were going for getting the number of cases down to zero, surely we'd have stopped all travel into the country.

One thing that limits the effectiveness surely is having no adequate testing, as if you don't know how many people have had it, how do you know what percentage of the population has built up the immunity?  

It did seem to be a conscious decision to stop testing. I remember 3-4 weeks ago in Scotland there were drive through testing stations covered on the news.

There could well be testing we don't know about and a Virology professor from Oxford uni seems to think that the real infection rate is far higher. 

The only way to do HI in the UK is to trick people into thinking there is still a good chance they can't get it or there would be hysteria. This is not a rational country.

The wife is just back from Asda where she said there was loads of couples in doing their shopping. She had to shoe a lady from one of the couples away from her at the till as she kept walking towards her even though the wife was stood paying. 

Fucking idiots honestly. A couple of about 60 she reckoned. 

I think the number of folk following the ‘rules’ are significantly outweighing the idiots and selfish folk.

That said if we see major breaches this weekend I would be  happy to see very punitive alternative penalties being introduced.

34 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

She was on Clyde taking questions this morning and was saying that the four nations within the UK would be working together for the most part, however there were times when she thought that the UK weren't doing enough / slow to act, so Scotland acted on their own with things such as closing the schools before the rest of the country and banning large gatherings ,again, a few days before the rest of the UK, which she reckoned may have helped us.

Schools in Scotland closed on the same day as the rest of the UK: the Scottish government announced that they would close before the UK Government did - as did Wales - and it's possible that their announcements ultimately bounced Westminster into taking the same approach. But the actual date of closure was the same on either side of the border.

It's also worth remembering that the 'banning mass gatherings' only took force from March 16 and that the SG was quite happy to let an Old Firm game batter on 24 hours earlier. There's been much more of a difference in the quality of messaging from Sturgeon compared to Westminster rather than policy (which would sow further public confusion anyway).

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The wife is just back from Asda where she said there was loads of couples in doing their shopping. She had to shoe a lady from one of the couples away from her at the till as she kept walking towards her even though the wife was stood paying. 

I was in aldi yesterday and they had a security guy on the door who shouted at a couple  " one trolley per customer ", they simply took a trolley each and walked in.

22 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

If only we’d built a moon base in 1999!

Anyway

UFO

Space 1999

Thunderbirds

Captain Scarlet

Stingray

Terrahawks

Joe 90

Supercar

Terrahawks should be at the top of the list for Windsor Davies part alone. Captain Scarlet second.

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I just unfortunately encountered the not so nice side of the NHS down at AYR hospital. Taking my 81 year old mother for an eye appointment I let her off at the door while I parked the car, however when i entered i got stopped by a torn faced bitch of a nurse who asked what i was doing, i explained i was down with my mum who I pointed to sitting alone in a waiting room through a locked door. The response was "you can't come in here, get out", I then asked where I should go, the response was "outside". Next question I explained that she was waiting on me appearing and would be worried if I didn't, response, "I'll tell her". Next I asked how I'd know when she was out as she didn't have a phone, response was "don't know", I then asked when she "might" be out, response "don't know". Finally I asked what she thought I should do then ? Was told "don't know, that's your problem" as I say, a total bitch. I get shes under pressure (although the hospital was empty) but so are most of us and personally I could be doing without the serious attitude problem.

Sounds about right for Ayr Hospital tbh. When my Dad was in there was quite a few bitches. The morning we were told he wasn’t going to live much longer one berated my mum and I for not having the flu jab, my Mum said we didn’t fall into the category of needing it and she snapped “you can pay to get it done, it doesn’t cost much”. Fucking heartless cow

30 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes that's my take on what's happening as well.  Let enough of the population get infected and recover at a rate which the NHS can deal with, whilst protecting the most at risk members of society.

Still allowing flights to land here as well. If we were going for getting the number of cases down to zero, surely we'd have stopped all travel into the country.

One thing that limits the effectiveness surely is having no adequate testing, as if you don't know how many people have had it, how do you know what percentage of the population has built up the immunity?  

It did seem to be a conscious decision to stop testing. I remember 3-4 weeks ago in Scotland there were drive through testing stations covered on the news.

Herd immunity is the hope globally, they're just using social isolation to try to slow the infection rate down enough so health services can cope, not to stop it outright. Stretching the curve as they call it.

24 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

@pozbaird

Guest Moomintroll
As I said I'm not getting at Wattoo, it's nothing to do with him, merely the message he was given and others are getting fed by silly staff who are in their own wee bubble.

Obviously I don't have a clue what's going on but if there are departments not helping others then that is pretty shite.

Some musings from today

* the local supermarket now has an SIA person at the door to flex muscle....and give out trolleys

* I was able to get toilet roll for the first time in 3 weeks. No hand wash or hand sanitiser though

* People were wearing masks. 99% of those people were also wearing gloves to shop, then the same gloves to drive and probably to go into other shop with 🙄

* I noticed a police van drive around about 4 times in the hour I was out. It failed to stop when there was 2 middle aged couples standing chatting not 2 metres away from one another 

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

He has been missing on here since he was rightly rinsed for blatantly ignoring the social distancing and staying at home rules. 

Travelling up to Inverness it seems.

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I noticed a police van drive around about 4 times in the hour I was out. It failed to stop when there was 2 middle aged couples standing chatting not 2 metres away from one another 

Disgraceful, they probably left their police ruler in the station.

Yesterday evening, from my front window in Glasgow’s leafy West End I witnessed a jakey being issued one of the numerous Glasgow Covid violation tickets by the police, who were keeping their distance whilst doing their bit. At one point a jogger came along the pavement and actually ran between said jakey and police. The police would have been better served tazering the jogger tbqhwy.

17 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Yesterday evening, from my front window in Glasgow’s leafy West End I witnessed a jakey being issued one of the numerous Glasgow Covid violation tickets by the police, who were keeping their distance whilst doing their bit. At one point a jogger came along the pavement and actually ran between said jakey and police. The police would have been better served tazering the jogger tbqhwy.

Joggers and cyclists are confirming themselves as arseholes during this.