Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, TheScarf said:

Is Peter Sweden the Swedish version of Joey Essex? 

Having looked into him a bit, I’d say yes*.

*ive no idea who Joey Essex is but I’m not taking any chances...

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

Having looked into him a bit, I’d say yes*.

*ive no idea who Joey Essex is but I’m not taking any chances...

Hes a political commentator based in Basildon. 

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

She was on Clyde taking questions this morning and was saying that the four nations within the UK would be working together for the most part, however there were times when she thought that the UK weren't doing enough / slow to act, so Scotland acted on their own with things such as closing the schools before the rest of the country and banning large gatherings ,again, a few days before the rest of the UK, which she reckoned may have helped us.

As an aside I was told by a nurse at Ayr Hospital earlier (not the Evil on, a nice one) that this was the quietest she had seen the wards in 15 years of service and the Hospital in general was hardly getting any new admissions, She did believe that this was probably the "calm before the storm" however !!!

As we've been continuously telling Jeremiah it's not the figures TODAY that are pertinent, it's what our Scientists, Health Professionals and planners are EXPECTING to hit over the coming days and weeks, only then can we make a judgement on whether it's been an over reaction, under reaction or whether they've got it just about right...

I've no doubt they're quiet, looked at Stockholm 2600 cases, over 200 deaths and the same in ICU. 

Will be interesting to follow them.

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

From the government’s own scientific pandemic flu groups in their reports to Cobra, yes they did. The story can be found in this week’s Private Eye. 

‘The experts’ have been putting forward options and recommending best practice but it is the government and elected politicians who have called the shots at every point. They then immediately hide behind a phalanx of chief medical officers who - quite rightly - repeat official government and try to justify it because otherwise every public measure taken between now and the end of the virus would be ignored.

This is why every nation state has been taking wildly differing different measures despite all of them claiming to be just listening to the health experts.

Initially the herd immunity approach was the recommendation from the scientists and modellers in the UK, based on their plans and policies that have been sitting on the shelf for the past few years, though the WHO guidance was far more about keeping people apart and heading towards lockdown.

But the rate of spread, the overwhelming of health facilities in other countries, and the massively negative spin put on it by the media telling the country that their government was just going to let everyone die, resulted in a change of approach.

I haven't seen the private eye so I can't comment on what you say from the period we changed policy.  Be interested to hear in what key decisions the government ignored from the scientists and medical experts.

Have all countries been taking widely different measures though?  Other than Sweden, most countries are in some form of lockdown.  Timings at getting there were very different I agree, but the strategy of keeping people in their homes seems to now be fairly universal.

Guest Moomintroll
Progress report?
Headaches are gone, cough much reduced but still got the gurgle in my lung & I am considering disowning my throat. Slept on & off for about 15 hours out of 24 & felt weak as crap for most of today. The promise of some vodka has perked me up but can't see me managing too much. Overall feel way better compared to Tuesday/Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Hes a political commentator based in Basildon. 

Is he from Sweden? Peter Sweden is from North Yorkshire apparently 🤷🏾‍♂️

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Initially the herd immunity approach was the recommendation from the scientists and modellers in the UK, based on their plans and policies that have been sitting on the shelf for the past few years, though the WHO guidance was far more about keeping people apart and heading towards lockdown.

But the rate of spread, the overwhelming of health facilities in other countries, and the massively negative spin put on it by the media telling the country that their government was just going to let everyone die, resulted in a change of approach.

I honestly think they are still doing herd immunity. I don't think that HI means everything stays normal just that they let it into the population enough to circulate in supermarkets and other workplaces.

Why does other folk wearing masks upset people. I personally would not wear one but if others feel psychologically safer using one then what's the problem. It will be purely psychological.

If you think the average British punter with a mask on in a supermarket is doing it out of altruism I have a friend who is a Nigerian Prince and is keen to meet you.....

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I honestly think they are still doing herd immunity. I don't think that HI means everything stays normal just that they let it into the population enough to circulate in supermarkets and other workplaces.

It's a version that will buy some time, I'm expecting wave after wave until it's done although that might change as capacity and supply chain increases. 

Over 3 weeks since lockdown ???

Yes. Easter Sunday is 9 days away.
The peak, remember, isn't a one or two day peak. It lasts around 5-7 days.
I don't think saying the peak of new infections will be in 9 days is unrealistic. It's over 3 weeks since lockdown.
For peak deaths we will be looking at somewhere around April 25th.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Yes that's my take on what's happening as well.  Let enough of the population get infected and recover at a rate which the NHS can deal with, whilst protecting the most at risk members of society.

Still allowing flights to land here as well. If we were going for getting the number of cases down to zero, surely we'd have stopped all travel into the country.

One thing that limits the effectiveness surely is having no adequate testing, as if you don't know how many people have had it, how do you know what percentage of the population has built up the immunity?  

It did seem to be a conscious decision to stop testing. I remember 3-4 weeks ago in Scotland there were drive through testing stations covered on the news.

Guest Moomintroll
Hi Wattoo I'm not getting at you here but the bit in bold irks me a bit, for some staff yes it will be quiet, it depends on where you work of course.  I've seen this from a few staff who work in areas where demand is no longer an issue.
The wards are quiet as nobody is being routinely operated on and admissions for general ailments are being kept to a minimum as we try to keep patients away from hospital . Critical care on the other hand is absolutely mental with extra care areas being set up.   It must be remembered that a different, higher set of skills are required for the kind of care currently being provided in both critical care areas and Gp land, and if you normally work in say a care of the elderly ward then you won't necessarily have the skill fit to work in these areas.
I know how busy critical care is just now with sadly a large number of younger patients in situ, plenty of whom have no pre-existing health conditions which is worrying.  The staff are working their arses off.
Primary care i.e Gp surgeries are also rammed with Gp's and ANP's being moved to Covid assessment centres plus trying to deal with normal patient workload while dealing with increased demands due to peoples anxiety levels going through the roof during this.  All the while this is with reduced staff due to sickness etc.
Staff are being moved from places like outpatients as their areas close to help out as best they can in other parts of the service.  
So for some people, yes, some areas of the hospital are quiet but cognisance of the service as a whole should be taken into account by these people when they're informing everyone how quiet they are, lucky them.   Most of the staff I know from different areas of the health service are fucking knackered.  So yes t might be quiet for some but the storm has already hit some parts of the service.  I dread to think what it will look like in a months time.
It's time for a Tennent's for me.
Sure that Wattoo didn't mean anything by it, for us outwith the NHS we can't even start to comprehend what is going on behind the scenes right now while they try to get everyone in the right places to deal with this.

27 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The expert group already told the government in its report of February 26 that the NHS "will be unable to meet all demands" and advised that the following three measures would delay and reduce the peak of the outbreak:

- closing public schools

- "home isolation of symptomatic cases, for 13 weeks when enacted early"

- "voluntary household quarantine, for 13 weeks when enacted early"

It did not recommend adding social distancing policies for a similar time-frame as well because they believed that this would only lead to a second and bigger outbreak once it was lifted. The government didn't shut down the schools until fully three weeks later.

Have all countries been taking widely different measures though?  Other than Sweden, most countries are in some form of lockdown.  Timings at getting there were very different I agree, but the strategy of keeping people in their homes seems to now be fairly universal.

The various and completely illogical routes that each government has taken to get to this point shows political decision-making at work. And enacting a lockdown in a country that is already riddled with the virus is not the same policy as locking it down after a handful of cases. In Slovakia, for example, lockdown measures were enforced within days of their first confirmed cases: as a result, health officials expect the peak of their very slow burning outbreak to only occur in June/July rather than the April that western European states have been clinging to. Unless you can eliminate the chain of transmission entirely then governments face a range of outcomes that they  aim for with their policies, rather than having one set end point determined for them by the infallible model.

Edited by vikingTON