Coronavirus (COVID-19)

They're not doing much different, very similar advice. The Swedes are relying on the intelligence of their population, we're relying a bit more on enforcement. Most Swedes are working from home when they can and observing social distance advice most of the time. Probably washing their hands more than we are.
Well, if we relied on the intelligence of the general population, we'd be fucked, quite frankly.

4 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
It's like the First World War, they have a constant stream of  canon fodder to force out of the trenches.

We prefer to call them Temporary Workers.

Or red shirts.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

When push comes to shove your loyalties always go home to Daddy, this side of the pond or the other.

What are you talking about?

The NHS won't go up for sale. The Tory plan is to increase the internal market and force the NHS to compete with private health providers like Virgin on unfair terms. As the private health providers grow and the NHS is reduced in scope they will start to float alternate funding proposals that will involve opt outs or rebates for private health care. It will take probably decades to achieve, they are playing the long game as are the American free market lunatics who fund the IEA.

I could not be more against this. 

Edited by Detournement

2 hours ago, The DA said:

Easter?  As in 'next week'?

Yes. Easter Sunday is 9 days away.

The peak, remember, isn't a one or two day peak. It lasts around 5-7 days.

I don't think saying the peak of new infections will be in 9 days is unrealistic. It's over 3 weeks since lockdown.

For peak deaths we will be looking at somewhere around April 25th.

Edited by Todd_is_God

First time I've actually been slightly spooked in a shop since this all kicked off. I'd walked down to Rutherglen (I know, bad move...) as there were a few things we hadn't been able to source more locally. One of the chemists on the main street was complete bedlam...they weren't limiting the amount of folk in it at all. One aisle was completely blocked by three middle-aged wifies having a right good catch-up, another was blocked by a massive and clearly mentally ill woman who appeared to be conducting a heated argument with the washing powder, and while I was debating if I had it in me to actually join the queue another old dear came breenging right through it right up to the till to ask if they had a certain brand of hanky in stock.
I decided I didn't need anything that badly. Nobody does.

Same for me today in Lidl's - reasonably quiet when I went in - but 10 minutes in it was flooded with OAP and middle-aged couples blocking the aisles while they discussed what they were buying.

Kept having to stop at the end of aisles or detour round as these morons seemed to take ages making any sort of decision.

The bit about not having a garden wasn't that bad tbf, my wee garden has been a god send recently.  Being stuck indoors (especially in nice weather) would drive you up the walls.

Social Distancing does not mean staying indoors 24/7.

But that doesn’t mean having extended family gatherings in public gatherings is a good idea.

There’s a happy medium that should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Hermes workers say they fear becoming 'super spreaders' as the visit up to 130 homes a day

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/hermes-workers-say-fear-becoming-super-spreaders-visit-130-homes-day-2528657
They can't use the old "you were out we couldn't deliver" line - even though you've been in all day looking out the window every few minutes to see if they have arrived.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Social Distancing does not mean staying indoors 24/7.

But that doesn’t mean having extended family gatherings in public gatherings is a good idea.

There’s a happy medium that should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

I believe what the journalist said, was an hour outside in a park while maintaining social distancing with immediate family only. 

Probably wouldn't work as everyone would be at it but you can still feel sorry for people who don't have gardens. 

Guest Moomintroll
Or red shirts.
Strictly speaking we are the red shirts as we have had to bring them in to replace all our 12 week isolated people & the divvies like me.

15 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

I get that you may mean specific predictions based on the existing model, but guess what? If the model is wrong, then they revisit their hypotheses and make amendments. You're watching the scientific method in action.

Of course I do - which is the whole point of the thread.  In fact, I said nothing that is in the least bit questionable.  Scientific predictions are to be taken with a pinch of salt and history proves that.

Best we park it here while we're in clashing agreement.

2 minutes ago, Oleksandr said:

IMG_20200403_191953.thumb.jpg.05d443f5f44f09efa1ca653ca6b88fcb.jpg

Stay  classy hippies. 

4 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I just got a kebab delivered. The guy chapped on my door and then ran away, having left the kebab on my doorstep like a paper bag full of burning shite.

On the plus side, you didn't have to tip the guy.

50 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Nicola is no longer in COBRA, so not sure we are charting the same course. 

She was on Clyde taking questions this morning and was saying that the four nations within the UK would be working together for the most part, however there were times when she thought that the UK weren't doing enough / slow to act, so Scotland acted on their own with things such as closing the schools before the rest of the country and banning large gatherings ,again, a few days before the rest of the UK, which she reckoned may have helped us.

As an aside I was told by a nurse at Ayr Hospital earlier (not the Evil on, a nice one) that this was the quietest she had seen the wards in 15 years of service and the Hospital in general was hardly getting any new admissions, She did believe that this was probably the "calm before the storm" however !!!

As we've been continuously telling Jeremiah it's not the figures TODAY that are pertinent, it's what our Scientists, Health Professionals and planners are EXPECTING to hit over the coming days and weeks, only then can we make a judgement on whether it's been an over reaction, under reaction or whether they've got it just about right...