Coronavirus (COVID-19)

They're not doing much different, very similar advice. The Swedes are relying on the intelligence of their population, we're relying a bit more on enforcement.

I wonder if the Swedish version of the Daily Mirror asked their Deputy Chief Medical Officer if it was okay to have picnics, not more than five minutes after being told the instruction was to stay at home?

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The Swedish prime minister discussed their strategy over the past couple of days. They're playing the long game, 'a marathon not a sprint' being mentioned.

The time to judge the success of different strategies is when it's all done.

What if Sweden goes through the tough time now but stops the spread of the virus through the 'herd immunity' principle within 4 months and is back to relative normality, but Denmark has to keep everyone in lockdown for 18 months or longer because as soon as they let folk return to normal living the death rate surges?

All depends on the final numbers and how scarred each society is left at the end of it all.

If Herd immunity works the entire UK media should be sent to a salt mine.

17 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"PeterSweden" getting posted on Pie and Bovril. At this stage I'm hoping the virus takes me tbh.

Oops. I wasn’t aware of this guy. I looked at a few of his other tweets. I think that’ll be the last time...

@bennett

Peter Imanuelsen (born September 27, 1994), better known as Peter Sweden, is a far-rightspeaker and a huge w****r. Imanuelsen was originally a Holocaust denier[2] white nationalist, extreme-homophobe, Islamophobe and conspiracy theorist crank who has written that Jewsand the Vatican are behind a New World Order. In 2017 Imanuelsen was doxed by the anti-racist organisation Hope not Hate after a news article about his Holocaust denial was published; this happened after Katie Hopkins tweeted a photo of her next to him, which prompted journalists to find out who he was. In response, Imanuelsen has claimed he has since changed his views and apologised for denying the Holocaust. No longer publicly attacking Jews, Imanuelsen is now a prominent Islamophobe who says he opposes Islamic immigration into Europe, as well as an anti-vaxxer.[3] He is also not actually Swedish.

Imanuelsen has 50,000 followers on Twitter and more than 20,000 subscribers to his YouTubechannel.

Just now, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It does work but it also kills a bunch of people.

Not if you keep all the vulnerable people isolated. Which Sweden seem to be doing ok at but we might see a difference when the effect of our lockdown impacts the stats. Or not. 

If social contact was a direct issue supermarket workers would be dropping like flies all over the country but that doesn't seem to be happening. 

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You sure about that?

Possibly from the WHO, but not from the country's chief science and medical advisors.

From the government’s own scientific pandemic flu groups in their reports to Cobra, yes they did. The story can be found in this week’s Private Eye. 

‘The experts’ have been putting forward options and recommending best practice but it is the government and elected politicians who have called the shots at every point. They then immediately hide behind a phalanx of chief medical officers who - quite rightly - repeat official government and try to justify it because otherwise every public measure taken between now and the end of the virus would be ignored.

This is why every nation state has been taking wildly differing different measures despite all of them claiming to be just listening to the health experts.

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Not if you keep all the vulnerable people isolated. Which Sweden seem to be doing ok at but we might see a difference when the effect of our lockdown impacts the stats. Or not. 

If social contact was a direct issue supermarket workers would be dropping like flies all over the country but that doesn't seem to be happening. 

It's like the First World War, they have a constant stream of  canon fodder to force out of the trenches.

It's not about protection for yourself, it's about making it much less likely that you will spread it on to others. Think of it as a permanent hanky for clatty b*****ds who don't bother (or simply forget) to cover a sneeze or cough and then take the advised hand-washing measures.

Seen lots of OAPs out wearing them - I assume because they think it protects themselves not others.

That's the key.  No reproducibility means that predictions have to be treated with caution.

I'm not saying ignore the scientists but we have to acknowledge that they got it dramatically wrong with bird flu, swine flu, SARS and BSE.  They were also wildly wrong in the 1970s when they predicted a mini ice age.  

So politicians should listen to what they say and also be a bit sceptical because their track record is shite.

The actual f**k?

The whole point of major parts of science is based on their predictive power. We have the heliocentric model which allows us to predict the exact times, dates and locations of eclipse years in advance.

Someone makes observations, then they come up with a hypothesis. They make predictions on what would happen if the hypothesis was true, and if it was false. They then carry out experiments and/or observations to test these predictions. If the predictions were false, they go back and adjust their hypothesis, make new predictions, rinse and repeat. If they were true, then they continue onwards and publish results, so that other people can try to reproduce their results. Eventually as the hypothesis builds up more and more evidence, the truth of the underlying concept gets accepted.

We've already got one dobber on this thread in Jeremiah, we dont need any more.

I get that you may mean specific predictions based on the existing model, but guess what? If the model is wrong, then they revisit their hypotheses and make amendments. You're watching the scientific method in action.

Guest Moomintroll
It's like the First World War, they have a constant stream of  canon fodder to force out of the trenches.
We prefer to call them Temporary Workers.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's nonsense.

When people say the Tories want to get rid of the NHS they don't mean sell it off like BT or British Gas. 

When push comes to shove your loyalties always go home to Daddy, this side of the pond or the other.

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I wonder if the Swedish version of the Daily Mirror asked their Deputy Chief Medical Officer if it was okay to have picnics, not more than five minutes after being told the instruction was to stay at home?

The bit about not having a garden wasn't that bad tbf, my wee garden has been a god send recently.  Being stuck indoors (especially in nice weather) would drive you up the walls.