Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In 1690 you would have been burnt for suggesting the Earth went around the Sun. 

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe not historically accurate but I have a right to my own opinion sheeple!

That is crap, Welshy, even by your low standards...

BTW I am not knocking science per se.  I am knocking blind faith in scientific predictions and I have right on my side - as usual.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In 1690 you would have been burnt for suggesting the Earth went around the Sun. 

Hide contents

Maybe not historically accurate but I have a right to my own opinion sheeple!

According to hit video game Assassin's Creed: Odyssey apparently you're out by about 2000 years.

20 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yes. This is the elite medical expertise that is being utilised. It’s not just a bunch of Tory MPs winging things.

If that were the case then the pubs etc. would have been shut from February 11 and schools from February 26, which is what the government’s own ‘scientific pandemic influenza groups’ suggested. The government didn’t bother following up that advice for weeks and so here we are.

So the strategy here has in fact been that of a government winging things from start to finish. Just because it wheels out a rotating cast of stooges to sell the same party line to the general public (as opposed to contradicting each other and destroying all trust immediately) does not mean that its decisions have been guided by credible science.

Edited by vikingTON

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

BTW I am not knocking science per se.  I am knocking blind faith in scientific predictions and I have right on my side - as usual.

So whose advice do you think they should take, your new friend @Jeremiah Cole 's sources in the anti vaccination community? Or just not bother and do nothing and leave it in God's hands?

46 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Deaths expected to reach 10,000 in Britain by next week.

Western countries are pretty much on the same curve.

Sweden gaining ground after a poor start.

The US to storm into the lead as the month progresses.

Edited by cyderspaceman

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

If that were the case then the pubs etc. would have been shut from February 11 and schools from February 26, which is what the government’s own ‘scientific pandemic influenza groups’ suggested. The government didn’t bother following up that advice for weeks and so here we are.

So the strategy here has in fact been that of a government winging things from start to finish. Just because it wheels out a rotating cast of stooges to sell the same party line to the general public (as opposed to contradicting each other and destroying all trust immediately) does not mean that its decisions have been guided by credible science.

The problem was Cummings believing his mates in the superforecaster community and some oddball behavioural scientists until the grownups took a belated grip.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

So whose advice do you think they should take, your new friend @Jeremiah Cole 's sources in the anti vaccination community? Or just not bother and do nothing and leave it in God's hands?

He’ll be listening intently at 8pm on Sunday 💙❤️

9 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's not the science that's wrong, it's the way that they collated and used it. 

You obviously didn't mean your bookie line the way I took it. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

And I have no answer to that - and if I had I'd be PM.  The Swedes are following their epidemiologists' advice and we're following ours and both countries are taking very different courses of action.  The conclusion is that one set of scientists must be wrong but I have no competence to say which.  My gut feeling is that the Swedes are righter than we are.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What’s prediction based on science ever done for us eh?

Waste of bleeding time if you ask me.

You're probably loving all this doom and gloom.

21 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

The Swedish prime minister discussed their strategy over the past couple of days. They're playing the long game, 'a marathon not a sprint' being mentioned.

The time to judge the success of different strategies is when it's all done.

What if Sweden goes through the tough time now but stops the spread of the virus through the 'herd immunity' principle within 4 months and is back to relative normality, but Denmark has to keep everyone in lockdown for 18 months or longer because as soon as they let folk return to normal living the death rate surges?

All depends on the final numbers and how scarred each society is left at the end of it all.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

And I have no answer to that - and if I had I'd be PM.  The Swedes are following their epidemiologists' advice and we're following ours and both countries are taking very different courses of action.  The conclusion is that one set of scientists must be wrong but I have no competence to say which.  My gut feeling is that the Swedes are righter than we are.

They're not doing much different, very similar advice. The Swedes are relying on the intelligence of their population, we're relying a bit more on enforcement. Most Swedes are working from home when they can and observing social distance advice most of the time. Probably washing their hands more than we are.

Edited by welshbairn

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"PeterSweden" getting posted on Pie and Bovril. At this stage I'm hoping the virus takes me tbh.

Not seeing anything wrong with the quote from Peter Sweden, what's your  gripe?

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

You sure about that?

Possibly from the WHO, but not from the country's chief science and medical advisors.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The Swedish prime minister discussed their strategy over the past couple of days. They're playing the long game, 'a marathon not a sprint' being mentioned.

The time to judge the success of different strategies is when it's all done.

What if Sweden goes through the tough time now but stops the spread of the virus through the 'herd immunity' principle within 4 months and is back to relative normality, but Denmark has to keep everyone in lockdown for 18 months or longer because as soon as they let folk return to normal living the death rate surges?

All depends on the final numbers and how scarred each society is left at the end of it all.

A massage from the Swedish Prime Minister?