Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Jean claude van man
I was quite impressed with him, actually. Seemed to be both genuine, and on top of the detail.
Are you kidding? Hancock couldn't persuade me to get out of a burning car.
He's on now and you can see the fear in his eyes, totally out of his depth. He should stick to helping unload the vans like last week, but he'd probably just get in the road.
He's unbelievable bad. It's a fucking disgrace that c**t has so much influence right now.

Going to be some scenes when the UK and the Scottish policies on lockdown and other measures diverge, as seems like an absolute stonewaller.

Does it? They’re going from precisely the same medical advice. As far as I can tell, it would be only having London that would make any difference in policy.

56 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a shame that China appears to have falsified their numbers, could have had something more concrete to go on. Not sure they did though, sources for it aren't entirely reliable. What seems for sure though is that it doesn't follow a pretty and smooth bell chart.

I don't blame China, would you trust any of these b*****ds? 

16 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Deaths expected to reach 10,000 in Britain by next week.

Western countries are pretty much on the same curve.

Did reply to one of my sons saying England would be around 10000 next Saturday, we could be on 1000.

Just watching clips from Boris, Hancock and Nicola....

Is blowing your own trumpet some kind of an English characteristic?

From what I saw of Nicola she did appear to demonstrating more of a sense of humility than the other two, with her statement.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

From what I saw of Nicola she did appear to demonstrating more of a sense of humility.

English people think they're the best at literally everything. 

Does it? They’re going from precisely the same medical advice. As far as I can tell, it would be only having London that would make any difference in policy.
Have to allow me some speculation on here surely? I think the UK Govt will seek to abandon some measures before Nicola is ready to do likewise. Her dismissal of the peak speculation seems to me like an early indicator that she is ready to do more and go further. Of course, like every bit of speculation on here, only time will tell.

Just now, TheScarf said:

English people think they're the best at literally everything. 

They're certainly going to be up there after this debacle. 

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

From what I saw of Nicola she did appear to demonstrating more of a sense of humility with her announcements.

It's called Triumphalism.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Nicola is no longer in COBRA, so not sure we are charting the same course. 

3 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

From wikipedia ( yeah, I know, bite me)

Although procedures vary from one field of inquiry to another, they are frequently the same from one to another. The process of the scientific method involves making conjectures (hypotheses), deriving predictions from them as logical consequences, and then carrying out experiments or empirical observations based on those predictions.[5][6] A hypothesis is a conjecture, based on knowledge obtained while seeking answers to the question. The hypothesis might be very specific, or it might be broad. Scientists then test hypotheses by conducting experiments or studies. A scientific hypothesis must be falsifiable, implying that it is possible to identify a possible outcome of an experiment or observation that conflicts with predictions deduced from the hypothesis; otherwise, the hypothesis cannot be meaningfully tested.[7]

Make conjecture
Derive PREDICTIONS from the conjecture
Test predictions.

That's the key.  No reproducibility means that predictions have to be treated with caution.

I'm not saying ignore the scientists but we have to acknowledge that they got it dramatically wrong with bird flu, swine flu, SARS and BSE.  They were also wildly wrong in the 1970s when they predicted a mini ice age.  

So politicians should listen to what they say and also be a bit sceptical because their track record is shite.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

So politicians should listen to what they say and also be a bit sceptical because their track record is shite.

In 1690 you would have been burnt for suggesting the Earth went around the Sun. 

Spoiler

Maybe not historically accurate but I have a right to my own opinion sheeple!

Edited by welshbairn