Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Here in Belgium I believe I read the order is to be schools, then workplaces, then shops, then bars and restaurants alongside concerts and football matches. I believe is the planned order for ending the lockdown 

If banning mass gatherings such as festivals and football crowds was deemed to be woefully ineffective at slowing transmission on their own (which is true), why are they viewed as the most dangerous to allow again?

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

There's no way of knowing if there's an improvement, as there isn't a control group of a situation without a lockdown to compare it to.

For all we know, we could be sitting already at 3,000+ deaths a day without the restrictions already in place, and 500-odd is already a massive improvement. We just don't know. We certainly couldn't say the restrictions clearly wouldn't be working.

Well that's not true.

If infections and deaths are still going up in 8 weeks from now, despite restrictions being in place for 2 weeks already, it quite clearly isn't working.

I'm not saying that will happen btw, i don't beieve it will.

Just in Tesco there and they've introduced a one way system, which IMO is a great idea. Of course the whole idea and massive fucking arrows on the floor are still too much for the idiots of the area to comprehend who are continuing to walk wherever they please. Combine this with the fuckwits who have no sense of what 2 metres is I think that will be my last trip to the shop until this is over or I'm seriously going to lose it with someone.

I fucking despise humans at times.

We did click and collect. All done in five minutes flat. Much, much easier.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If banning mass gatherings such as festivals and football crowds was deemed to be woefully ineffective at slowing transmission on their own (which is true), why are they viewed as the most dangerous to allow again?

Probably because these are least important things in the grand scheme of things. Also many people will travel from other locations to attend these. Whereas everything else (except maybe work), involves less traveling from other areas

Probably because these are least important things in the grand scheme of things. Also many people will travel from other locations to attend these. Whereas everything else (except maybe work), involves less traveling from other areas

Sticking him on ignore is absolutely right and fair.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Well that's not true.

If infections and deaths are still going up in 8 weeks from now, despite restrictions being in place for 2 weeks already, it quite clearly isn't working.

I'm not saying that will happen btw, i don't beieve it will.

What if they think the same as you, lift the restrictions, and then infections and deaths start going up by the thousands a day, rather than the hundreds?

What if they think the same as you, lift the restrictions, and then infections and deaths start going up by the thousands a day, rather than the hundreds?

The conspiracy theorists who know better can’t lose. If the death rate continues, they were right all along. If it goes down, the whole issue was overblown. It doesn’t cross their minds that this is all about reducing the spread.

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

What would folk like to see as the first realistic loosening of restrictions?

Forget football or the pubs opening. Have to think smaller at first.... But what do folk think is making the biggest odds to their lives?

Personally IDGAF about the way the shops are, queuing etc. I can live with that. Probably for a long time if need be. Would like to be able to take the kids to see family though.

I'd like to be able to go for a drive, even if it didn't involve getting out the car.

Would also like to drive to other locations for walks. The Meikle bin and Dumyat are about a 20min drive from my house and are my "go-to" if I have a sunny afternoon or evening free but can't go there now.

Would also like to see some shops other than food shops open. Have started half a dozen projects in the house and garden which I can't carry on with just now.

I would also love for the SSPCA or Dogs Trust to open up for appointments again as I need to adopt a pal for my now depressed and lonely dug.

Seeing family and friends again might be nice too I suppose.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

The conspiracy theorists who know better can’t lose. If the death rate continues, they were right all along. If it goes down, the whole issue was overblown. It doesn’t cross their minds that this is all about reducing the spread.

Firstly. Im not a conspiracy theorist. Ive never suggested that.

Secondly, if a 12 week lockdown has no impact on reducing infections etc it quite clearly isn't reducing the spread.

9 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Aye that makes sense i suppose

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Firstly. Im not a conspiracy theorist. Ive never suggested that.

Secondly, if a 12 week lockdown has no impact on reducing infections etc it quite clearly isn't reducing the spread.

Don't you see my point, though?

We've no way of knowing if the 12-week lockdown has an impact on reducing infections, because we don't have an equivalent situation in history without the restrictions to compare it to.

Have the chemists calmed down a bit going by people's experience this week?

Was out about 10am and the local Boots had no queue and just a couple of folk inside.

Edited by jagfox99

Just now, Gaz said:

Don't you see my point, though?

We've no way of knowing if the 12-week lockdown has an impact on reducing infections, because we don't have an equivalent situation in history without the restrictions to compare it to.

I do see your point.

The good thing is noone will have to make that decision - the measures in place will work

15 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

We did click and collect. All done in five minutes flat. Much, much easier.

Was just checking the Tesco website and there's no slots available around Inverness for the next 3 weeks, which is the limit. Was kind of hoping Ullapool had one available so to have a legitimate reason for a nice drive, but no luck.

2 hours ago, beefybake said:

Evidence ?

As I said in another reply, I wasn't meaning all or even most. My point was only that some people who are at minimal risk think they are in danger. Our ridiculous confirmed cases number makes it look like the death rate is 10%, which doesn't help.

1 minute ago, bendan said:

As I said in another reply, I wasn't meaning all or even most. My point was only that some people who are at minimal risk think they are in danger. Our ridiculous confirmed cases number makes it look like the death rate is 10%, which doesn't help.

Home antibody testing kits for all are needed ASAP

Nothing to do with reducing spread, more for calming people down

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Just watching Nicola fielding a press conference, confidently fielding questions from all comers with her customary aplomb.

Comparing her performance with Boris the Balloon in similar situations is like comparing night with day.

I just cannot for the life of me understand how the good people of England still think the sun shines out his big fat arse but they do. In fact they are pretty confident that he will single-handedly defeat this nasty virus thanks to our "fantastic NHS".

A lot of people just don't want to face the possibility that the people in charge are incompetent when their, or their close one's, lives are at stake. It'll be interesting to see what the opinion polls look like when we're past the worst of this although the court jesters that make up the political media in this country will do their best to provide cover fire for the Tories.