Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, bendan said:

We're currently in a phase where a data vacuum is being filled with media speculation and fearmongering. People in their twenties and thirties think they'll die if they go to the corner shop. A more rational assessment of the risk will gradually develop. It's pretty early days.

Evidence ?

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

569 dead today, with 50 of those in Scotland. The latter of those is quite a shock, given the way it's tended to go so far. 

40 of those 50 are non tested, just presumed, the 40 will be spread over the previous weeks. 

32 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
2 hours ago, Turkmenbashi said:
I know a few people here have been infected, I am just wondering what were the initial symptoms like. I've got a sore throat right now, with a slight cough, and a very very mild fever, started off with temperature, then felt cold, now sweating quite a lot. Started on Tuesday, fine yesterday and back again today. I work from home and live by myself, but I've stayed indoors for the last few days. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even consider taking time off work with how I'm feeling. Just wondering if I could be infected, or am I just being paranoid. 

That sounds familiar although my sore throat developed a few hours after I started coughing, are you breathing ok?

Sore throat came first for me, alongside sweating. Coughing is very intermittent, I had a mild fit this morning but otherwise ok. No shortness of breath, occasionally chest pains but nothing Concerning yet. I'm in my 20s and no health problems, though recently quit smoking. 
I have been working from home for three weeks now (lockdown in Belgium, happened a week before U.K.) and only contact with anyone else has been only at the supermarket or Deliveroo or solo exercise.

2 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Around 60,000 people a year have the common cold when they die in the UK

This compares with 2,300 who have died with coronavirus 

how many medical staff have died treating the people with the common cold or annual flu?

Just now, aaa said:

how many medical staff have died treating the people with the common cold or annual flu?

I'm well aware yon Jeremiah is a troll but there are an insane amount of people who don't realise we haven't shut down the country because of the mortality rate, but because of the infection rate.

1 hour ago, woolf said:

I had a really high fever from the start that lasted about 4 days,shortness of breath from day 2 until around day 8.Coughing and headache but not too bad.My Wife had roughly the same symptoms but coughed a lot more and had worse headaches.I would advise staying home for at least the 7 days mate.

How do you measure headaches?

It’s being reported that only 2,000 NHS frontline staff in England have been tested.  Nicola Sturgeon has just said that in Scotland 3,200 NHS staff  (and their families) have been tested.

Still not nearly enough but well ahead of the situation down south.

Edited by Granny Danger