Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Noone was saying the UK made more on tourism than we contribute to other countries.

But you made out it wasn't important here. £25b is significant to our economy.

What is the value of tourism in the UK when domestic tourism is included?

The point is that foreign tourist money will likely be replaced by increasedd domestic spending so the policy would be revenue positive for the UK current account. 

8 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Completely incorrect. You characterise the forum as blindly believing the govt position which simply isn't true. You haven't bothered to engage with that though as it doesn't fit in with your one man against the system rambo fixation, so there is no healthy debate. 

Whenever anyone has tried to challenge you, or point this out, you've simply ignored them, proving that you're not here to raise questions or inspire debate, but rather to show off about which edgy websites you've been trawling in your pants this afternoon. 

^^^^^ good example of the attempt to shut down an alternative view point 

thanks for making my point 👍

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

The point is that foreign tourist money will likely be replaced by increasedd domestic spending so the policy would be revenue positive for the UK current account. 

I'm with you now.

Still think "no foreign holidays for years" is a fantasy all the same

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

So they test the whole plane and if you all pass they let you enter the UK?

Fantasy stuff. 

No, but they could test anyone with a fever and stop them flying. I can't see why the UK would be trying to restrict entry in general. We're going to have to learn to live with this for a while at least, so we'll need testing available in workplaces, dentists, GPs etc.

Just now, bendan said:

No, but they could test anyone with a fever and stop them flying. I can't see why the UK would be trying to restrict entry in general. We're going to have to learn to live with this for a while at least, so we'll need testing available in workplaces, dentists, GPs etc.

By the time we're well past the peak and social isolation becomes only necessary for the most vulnerable, the virus will probably be spread pretty well equally across the globe so there won't be any point in special border checks. 

7 minutes ago, bendan said:

The embrace of lock down by most people shows there is no willingness to learn to live with it. 

When lockdown ends the number one priority will be preventing a second lockdown. Like China are doing just now that will mean limiting international arrivals until the global pandemic is over.

Edited by Detournement

17 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Some good has come out of it all...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-52131940

However, at the same time as this ruling, China approved the use of bear bile to treat coronavirus patients.

Bear bile - a digestive fluid drained from living captive bears - has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine.

The active ingredient, ursodeoxycholic acid, is used to dissolve gallstones and treat liver disease. But there is no proof that it is effective against the coronavirus and the process is painful and distressing for the animals

Brian Daly, a spokesman for the Animals Asia Foundation, told AFP: "We shouldn't be relying on wildlife products like bear bile as the solution to combat a deadly virus that appears to have originated from wildlife."

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

This is depressing. Means folk will have to return to holidaying in Blackpool, Skeggy, Rothesay, Pittenweem, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The embrace of lock down by most people shows there is no willingness to learn to live with it. 

When lockdown ends the number one priority will be preventing a second lockdown. Like China are doing just now that will mean limiting international arrivals until the global pandemic is over.

We're currently in a phase where a data vacuum is being filled with media speculation and fearmongering. People in their twenties and thirties think they'll die if they go to the corner shop. A more rational assessment of the risk will gradually develop. It's pretty early days.

14 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

^^^^^ good example of the attempt to shut down an alternative view point 

thanks for making my point 👍

I've tried to engage you three or four times by asking you questions mate, and you've completely ignored me every time. You're the only one trying to shut down the alternative point of view. 

Other people have done so too. But if the question was too hard you ignored them. You're not interested in debate or you'd have engaged with them. You're interested in your (other people you admire's) opinions being correct with no deviation. That's why you only C&P. It's painfully, embarrassingly, transparent

1 minute ago, bendan said:

We're currently in a phase where a data vacuum is being filled with media speculation and fearmongering. People in their twenties and thirties think they'll die if they go to the corner shop. A more rational assessment of the risk will gradually develop. It's pretty early days.

I agree about risk for the vast majority of individuals. I'm working 6 days a week and I'm not worried at all. 

However if we retain the standards that have been set during this outbreak about risk as a society then travel restrictions will be required. There is no guarantee that becoming immune in the spring/summer will make you immune in the winter or that different strains that currently exist won't be able to create a second wave.

'We need the Dunkirk spirit... time is running out': Francis Crick Institute chief urges Boris Johnson to overrule control-freak public health chiefs and scale up mass testing across Britain

The British ran away at Dunkirk.  Well, sailed away.  Where are they to go?

5 minutes ago, bendan said:

I don't think many in our 20s or 30s are worried about dying. Worried about killing yes, but not dying ourselves.